ebinmaine

Is one of these hubs stronger than the other?

ebinmaine

My C160 had two different hubs. 

Guessing 1 original,  1 fairly recent (wasn't stuck on) replacement. 

Is the one without the "star" shape stronger? (More metal there)

Why the change? 

Just curious. ....

20180325_163734.jpg.cead5b6b903b4236cb3315e848741f6e.jpg20180318_125628.jpg.f48e461a7fea2a1d24b3d7763fb7b02a.jpg

• Like 2

Achto

I actually think that the one on the left is heavier. The whole rim mounting surface is the thickness of the star on the other one. The thickness around the axle hole is also heavier on the one on the left.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SPINJIM

If you have to use a 'puller' to remove a hub from its axle, the hub with the star pattern is more prone to breaking under pressure.   

Jim

• Like 3

Forest Road

I used another hub and a whole bunch nuts and bolts as a puller. 3 jaw could easily break it. 

• Like 1

Tankman

Appears the solid hub is stronger (?).

• Like 1

midpack
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

My C160 had two different hubs. 

I ran into that with my 417-8 too. I just happened to have a spare solid one so I used that. IIRC, the star pattern one didn't have the second threaded hole to hold it on the axle either.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, midpack said:

star pattern one didn't have the second threaded hole to hold it on the axle either.

The solid one I have on this tractor only has one threaded set screw hole... Now. I'm going to add one before reassembly.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Eric the star hub can come off easy if it has plenty of grease on the shaft the other on is harder to change the seal. Use a slide hammer. $50.00 @home depot. I just did one.  Came of nice and easy. I use Lucas tranny stop leak in the tranny it helps the old seals that you can not get off from leaking. Also helps the shifting.

pfrederi
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

The solid one I have on this tractor only has one threaded set screw hole... Now. I'm going to add one before reassembly.

The solid one is stronger why I use it as a puller.

Adding the second set screw is a great idea.  One caution do not over torque the jam nut you put on it.  WH machined a flat surface for the jam nut to press against.  Your hole will not have it and with the taper of the hub shank and maybe that your new hole isn't absolutely perfectly perpendicular to the hub/axle when you torque down the jam nut it will put side stress on the set screw and it will snap off flush with the hub.  The set screws are hardened and very hard to remove. 

As to why I know...lets just say whoever inherits one of my Chargers is going to have a heck of a time pulling one of the hubs:P

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Eric the star hub can come off easy if it has plenty of grease on the shaft the other on is harder to change the seal. Use a slide hammer. $50.00 @home depot. I just did one.  Came of nice and easy. I use Lucas tranny stop leak in the tranny it helps the old seals that you can not get off from leaking. Also helps the shifting.

I'm going to do a separate post later today in my build thread too.

I was able to remove both of them. The one with the star shape came off in pieces. ... which is fine. I had a strong suspicion it would due to P. O. damage. 

More about my "fun" later. .... 

I do like that slide hammer idea! 

• Like 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Use a slide hammer.

Not quite sure if I understand what you guys are talking about the slide hammer thing but if I  read right hammering of any kind outward force to get a hub off is a no no. The snap ring could break off in the diff. and then you will be splitting the cases!

• Like 3

ztnoo

Yeah hammering on the hub or the axle is a big NO NO!

If that snap ring on the axle comes off on the inside of the tranny case, you'll be tearing down a tranny to replace it instead of just pulling a hub.

I'm with @WHX14 on this one......

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

Not quite sure if I understand what you guys are talking about the slide hammer thing but if I  read right hammering of any kind outward force to get a hub off is a no no. The snap ring could break off in the diff. and then you will be splitting the cases!

4 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

Yeah hammering on the hub or the axle is a big NO NO!

If that snap ring on the axle comes off on the inside of the tranny case, you'll be tearing down a tranny to replace it instead of just pulling a hub.

I'm with @WHX14 on this one......

Ahh... yes.

Valid point !

Best news ever for me. Well, maybe not. The previous owner of this thing beat the living snot out of the Hub that was the star formation. I'll post some pics later.

Luckily right now the axle is firmly held in place. I'm hoping to avoid splitting this case until next winter but we shall see. :-).

Retired Wrencher
6 hours ago, WHX14 said:

It will look like this but different styles out there.K Tool International Automotive Slide Hammer

ebinmaine

20180326_153539.jpg.52b26950fca8a7ff3dca1acefda16f4e.jpg

wallfish
57 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

20180326_153539.jpg.52b26950fca8a7ff3dca1acefda16f4e.jpg

Is your hammer OK? :D 

Are you now making Wheel Horse puzzles?

That now looks like the weaker hub, you proved your point!

Looks like you were aggravated getting it off and said "I'll just smash this %#$^%*& thing with a hammer"

Edited by wallfish
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Is your hammer OK? :D 

Are you now making Wheel Horse puzzles?

That now looks like the weaker hub, you proved your point!

Looks like you were aggravated getting it off and said "I'll just smash this %#$^%*& thing with a hammer"

Yes the hammer is fine. It didn't even get a good workout. I was using an Estwing contractor grade 28 oz. Framing hammer. I Don't mess around during destruction processes!:lol:

I like the idea of the puzzle or wall art !!

"Looks like you were aggravated getting it..."

OK now for the record... I DO occasionally experience these types of short bouts with irritation (RARE to be honest).... hehehehe....  but in this case I was legitimately curious..

".....said "I'll just smash this %#$^%*& thing with a hammer"

THAT part is TRUE.

:ROTF:

Oh I do SO love busting up stuff !!!!

• Like 1

wallfish
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I like the idea of the puzzle or wall art !!

Bring it to the big show and have a contest to see who can put that puzzle together the fastest, $1 entry fee, winner take all.

• Like 2