Texas Todd

Poppin a Fuse

Texas Todd

Rebuilt and transplanted a M12 into a C-160. The K341 gave up the ghost and already had been opened to 30 over.

Anyway. Had the M12 bored to +.20 and put back together. Ordered a #103991 switch because the other one was for the K341. Fired up fine. I noticed the wire going to the regulator was very hot after just a few minutes. Upon further inspection the wire running from the battery side of the solenoid to the B terminal was melting. Put on a new wire and added a fuse. As soon as the key is turned on, it pops the fuse. 

Left the fuse out of the B wire and turned key to on and jumped across the solenoid and drove around for a bit. Everything cool and working as it should.

Bad switch or have I got something wrong? Picture below.

S  to Solenoid Switch

R to Regulator

B to Hot side of solenoid

G to Ground

M to Magneto

C160M12 Wiring.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

Check the wire to the regulator to see if it is shorted to ground. It seems like everything else was wired properly.

• Like 1

953 nut

Are you using the "A" terminal?

Texas Todd

Using the A terminal for lights and voltmeter.  Well unplugged the regulator and no more poppie.  Ran second new line for today, back to poppie. 

I was using this regulator because the housing had a hole for it. 

15220169977741401262939.jpg.6b5a334cf508dcb3cc4d9b33472f6843.jpg

Changed the hookup to the factory regulator and all is happy in the valley.

That smaller regulator must be bad. It's now a blower housing ornament. 

Thanks Richard. You got me in the right direction. Much appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

The finned side goes into the air shroud not out like in the picture

• Like 1

Texas Todd

Hmm. I didn't know that. I don't suppose that would have effected it's functionality???

pfrederi
12 hours ago, Texas Todd said:

Hmm. I didn't know that. I don't suppose that would have effected it's functionality???

The finned side is to dissipate heat and you want it inside the shroud so the flywheel fan blows air over it.  Overheating kills regulators.

Texas Todd
9 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

The finned side is to dissipate heat and you want it inside the shroud so the flywheel fan blows air over it.  Overheating kills regulators.

Roger I get that. Make perfect sense. Wonder why it was blowing the fuse in the wire going to battery. Back feeding somehow. Even found another switch and tried it. Same response. so it wasn't the switch.

gwest_ca

Are you sure the regulator terminals aren't shorted on the shroud? They have to be very close since it is in backwards.

Garry

Texas Todd

No. I had em bent down. All academic now. Using the bigun.