rwmastel

If you THINK you have mice then you DO have mice

rwmastel

I've had my 314-8 for about a year.  Last summer, with the hood up and the engine running, I would occasionally see some grass and fluffy stuff blow out from under the engine covering near the spark plug area.  I finally decided to take care of it and took the engine cover off today.  It was BAD!  I got it cleaned up to the point you see below by just picking stuff off and using a stick to scrape between the air fins.  The little pests chewed through the insulation on the spark plug cable, and completely removed a section of a wire that leads into the ignition coil connector.

Questions:

- I'm going to have to splice in a new length of wire going to the ignition coil.  It has white insulation.  Anyone know the gauge of that wire?

- I've gone to my local Toro dealer for filters and stuff.  Is that the best place to go for ignition coil (& plug wire) and more, or is there a great place on-line to order parts?

- To finish cleaning the engine (fuel & electrical connections, various metals, plastic, and rubber), what is a good mild cleaning solution?

20180324_154639.jpg

20180324_161217.jpg

20180324_164040.jpg

20180324_164122.jpg

20180324_164138.jpg

Edited by rwmastel
  • Like 5
  • Sad 7

SylvanLakeWH

Yep...Them's mice!!! Looks like you evicted them just in time!

I'd hit it with the air compressor and let the air do the final clean...

:twocents-02cents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 3

rmaynard

Primary wire to the ignition coil is typically 16 or 14 gauge. You can get the good stuff (pre-tinned) at any marine supply store or on eBay or from Amazon. But the stuff you can buy from Home Depot works just as well.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Holy Cow it is a wonder the engine did not over head with the mouse condo you had under the tins.

• Like 1

rwmastel

Jim,

I a tiny little 3 gallon pancake air compressor.  I'll give that a shot.  Today I did the opposite by putting the shop vac on it wherever the nozzle would get in tight.  I'd like to actually clean it while it's apart.  Use some de-greaser or something and scrub it with a tooth brush.

Bob,

I don't think there's enough wire on the ignition coil's connector, so I'll just buy a connector with a length of wire and hope it's the right gauge.

Jim,

Yes, I'm sure the engine has been running too hot.  I'm hoping it didn't shorten the life span significantly.  Of course, my spring maintenance includes oil and filter change, so things won't get any worse than they are now.

All,

So, is there a great on-line parts source you guys all use, or should I trek over to my Toro dealer Monday?

Jerry77

I have been using baited traps year round in my pole barn where my tractors and autos are parked ever since mice clogged up the heater fan housing in my truck..little critters do not get any respect from me...it is unbelievable how much damage mice can do...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

rmaynard
7 hours ago, rwmastel said:

I don't think there's enough wire on the ignition coil's connector, so I'll just buy a connector with a length of wire and hope it's the right gauge.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-14-AWG-18-ft-Primary-Wire-Spool-White-AMW-334/300689781

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, rwmastel said:

a great on-line parts source

Things that "wear" or get dirty... Replaceables... filters, fluids, brake linings whatever... Obviously - always replace with new things.

Toro dealer is fine if you have a good one. I have a great small engine/ equipment repair shop I use or an auto parts tore for some stuff.

As far as parts that Don't normally "wear" like wiring, coil, most other stuff... call or e-mail a-z tractor in PA. They're in our vendor section.

Lincoln's a great guy with fair pricing and shipping rates.

Or,

Throw an ad in the Classified's Wanted section.

Not sure about the cleaning other than the degreasers mentioned air comp, vac etc.

Careful to use a chemical that won't affect the aluminum.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 3

19richie66

Wear a dust mask if you blow it out. Don’t want to breathe that stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Wear a dust mask if you blow it out. Don’t want to breathe that stuff.

:text-yeahthat:

Ed Kennell

A   welders wire brush will clean up the cooling fins.Firepower 1423-1442 Welder's Shoe Handle Scratch Brush, Stainless Steel

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

I have been using baited traps year round in my pole barn where my tractors and autos are parked ever since mice clogged up the heater fan housing in my truck..little critters do not get any respect from me...it is unbelievable how much damage mice can do...:twocents-02cents:

We do here as well.

4 traps

+ peanut butter 

Less mice.

• Like 2

wallfish

Had one engine that sat out back for over 2 years and every other time there would be a nest in the blower housing. Just went directly to opening it up to clean it out and to my amazement, no nest. The only thing in there was a small garter snake skin molt which obviously was in there for a long time.

Since nothing seems to work like dryer sheets, mothballs ect. ect. ect. my idea was to go to the reptile store and ask for the snake skin molts. (there's a big reptile store not too far). Crush them into small pieces and sprinkle. Maybe mix with some magnetic powder so it doesn't just blow away. Another "project" never gotten to but wonder if that could work or if it was the appearance of a snake that scared them away. BUT, little rubber snakes don't work either. Or, maybe it could've been the snake was still hanging around and getting them.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Forget  the snake skins John.     Bring home the whole family from the reptile store.

See the source image

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H

Simple Green or Purple Power are 2 good degreasers that are biodegradable as well, I prefer the Purple Power you can buy it pre-mixed or in concentrate from Walmart ect spray it on let soak brush in rinse with water blow/air dry repeat as necessary. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Forge the snake skins John.     Bring home the whole family from the reptile store.

See the source image

Ohh the fun you could have with a pile o' snakes !!!!

Seriously though I wish we had more here... less rodents...

ebinmaine
37 minutes ago, wallfish said:

could've been the snake was still hanging around and getting them.

THAT is more likely...

SylvanLakeWH
24 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

See the source image

For some reason I do not see any mice in the picture...  :scratchead:

• Haha 2

wallfish
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

THAT is more likely...

For 2 years?

I can leave and engine out there and it's full of mice in a couple of months.

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

For 2 years?

I can leave and engine out there and it's full of mice in a couple of months.

Probably not 2 years...

Maybe you have a smart snake?

Knows when to leave "home"  ?

:D

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I recently found, for the second time, a bed for mice inside the air cleaner housing of my truck. The first time they used pink insulation from probably my house but this time used half of the firewall blanket. Luckily it has been on the intake side.

• Sad 1

pfrederi

Every spring when i move the summer horses out of storage at least one has a mouse nest. Getting all the tins off to do a good cleaning can be a PIA if you have to pull the coil,throttle linkage and then getting the little screws to line up and not cross thread them when your done....One of the nests incorporated some dryer sheet.  I have several Hickory trees.  Was doing some work on my previous pickup that had a V-6 There was a pile of nuts on the intake manifold.  Frequently find them in the WHs also.

• Sad 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  Every spring...

it's not unusual to find a W-H nut on most all of the tractors I have here too. 

IMG_6929.JPG.521c3f8b809302333f407a5ffa303076.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

SylvanLakeWH
18 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:text-yeahthat:  Every spring...

it's not unusual to find a W-H nut on most all of the tractors I have here too. 

IMG_6929.JPG.521c3f8b809302333f407a5ffa303076.JPG

Those flowers all look like they are bending closer to either smell or get a closer look at the exceedingly rare NOS WHclearSTYLE-"noseeum" OSHA approved steel toe boots...Only made them one year...Didn't work out to good...users never knew when they had them on or off...

:ychain:

• Haha 5