clueless

Brinley plow ?

clueless

Got this plow with a 416-8 I bought a while back, plan on selling both. How is the plow measured ie: 12 inch or 10 inch?

IMG_1300.JPG

squonk

Across the pointy thingy to the back edge at the top where the pieces meet.

Sarge

Like this...

post-20-0-55729100-1359135111.jpg.c5bd38214be42521245da40f08cc76e0.jpg

Sarge

• Like 2

clueless
12 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Like this...

post-20-0-55729100-1359135111.jpg.c5bd38214be42521245da40f08cc76e0.jpg

Sarge

So is that a 14 inch plow?

Sarge

No, you need to measure yours in this manner. That's why I said to use a straight edge along the long beam, lengthwise . From the straight edge,  over to the very tip of the share is the width, or "size" of the plow.

What is shown in the picture above is a 14". I'd bet yours is a 10". The rating of a plow is it's cutting width.

Sarge

clueless

Still, confused, maybe I should change my site name to confused instead of clueless. I'm going with 10 inches.

squonk

post-20-0-55729100-1359135111.jpg.c5bd38214be42521245da40f08cc76e0.jpg.cfd61f92271cdf82b5e67b02330a482f.jpg

20 hours ago, clueless said:

So is that a 14 inch plow?

Chris, Using the picture measure  the distance from these points I have circled.

Edited by squonk

Shynon

213848.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

Exactly what I try to teach others, but it's hard to get this stuff across on a keyboard.

Put a straight ruler, 2×4 or whatever against the outside of the red line "C" above. Let it extend out the back so you can measure across to point "A" in the picture above.

The width, if you imagine the tool being drug through the ground,  is at the widest part of the bottom of the share (blade).

In the black and white drawing,  the width between the dotted lines is the width of the plow. Width is what the plow cuts at the bottom of the furrow. If you just stand the thing up as in the photo,  Mark the outside edge of the long frame with chalk, as well as the point on the opposite side of the plow. That's what it cuts in the ground.

Clear as mud ? I guess I could do a quick YouTube video if you need it. Don't sweat understanding this thing, many folks struggle to wrap their head around it. You're not the first and definitelywon't be the last.

Sarge

Sarge

squonk

There even may be a number stamped on the  back of the plow. My 8" plow says " Brinly 8"