T-Mo

Remember the Allis-Chalmers G?

T-Mo

It seems like that design is found a niche and is being made by a few manufacturers.  I do know that when Allis was developing the G, John Deere was also developing a similar design, but scrapped the idea before it went into production.

http://thinkoggun.com/

https://www.tuff-bilt.com/tractors.html

https://www.tilmor.com/en-us/products/33/tilmor-tractor

The market seems to be more international, but probably will be marketed here also.  The Tilmor tractor is made by the same guys who make the Ventrac tractors, and may have some ties to Steiner tractors.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

WVHillbilly520H

The Steiner tractors were in part designed locally by a "new order" Mennonite but from what I've been told he didn't like the way the company was going so he "sold" out his part to start the Ventrac, now whether or not the hear say is correct it all came from one of the biggest dealers of Ventrac near here, Jeff.

• Like 1

pfrederi

With a push for organic foods producers are going back to mechanical tillage for weed control as opposed to chemical.  Since many of the local Organic farmers are small smaller units like this make sense.  they have unbeatable clear lines of sight for the operator and are highly maneuverable and being light weight do not compact the soil...  G's used to be popular when they grew wrapper tobacco in Connecticut as the could go under the field covers.

• Like 2

js5020

Amazing how 20 or 30 yrs ago at farm auctions many of these G's wouldn't even bring scrap prices, now it seems they are popular and in demand.

• Like 1

roadapples

Love the simplicity,  price... Not so much ...

• Like 2

squonk

I like the G better than a tillmor. At our Steam show a few yrs. back there was a guy there who made a mini G out of a rear engine Gravely. looked factory!:banana-wrench:

classiccat

there's a '48 G at a farm stand about a mile from my house.

00v0v_i0jmEXaTMCD_600x450.jpg

00C0C_bE5lWFevvID_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut

One of my uncles had a "G" and I discovered one of its design flaws, while mowing with a woods belly mower. The PTO and transmission are connected when engaged and it acts like a flywheel when the clutch is depressed. Once I figured that out it was smooth sailing, but the first time it happened there was a fence in front of me! Didn't take too long to repair it!     :hide:

The Tuff-Bilt tractors have been popular on some of the small farms around here for years.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

An "old timer" sold an AC "G" several years ago and said he wished he had a dozen of them for sale, as he made a bundle in it!

We have an old AC dealer here in town...of course there aren't any new AC's but still see some on their lot once in a while. Still lots of them out in the country area.

• Like 2

953 nut

Very interesting story there, thanks for passing it along.

12 hours ago, squonk said:

a mini G out of a rear engine Gravely

Here are some from central Georgia, I know one was made from a Cub hydro, not sure of the other.

210.JPG.4d1790b6bd6536e30ed37bc4d171a757.JPG211.JPG.223966d3536d39754257eb39b53468f1.JPG234.JPG.c4b074378509044f140280405c77e5d8.JPG235.JPG.66b76398feacb6042a65bcdf8e381db7.JPG

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

squonk

I see Steve was there! 

234.JPG.c4b074378509044f140280405c77e5d8.jpg.bb32ed99fe4bc595ed6d2886beca6a69.jpg

• Haha 1

slim67
16 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

The Steiner tractors were in part designed locally by a "new order" Mennonite but from what I've been told he didn't like the way the company was going so he "sold" out his part to start the Ventrac, now whether or not the hear say is correct it all came from one of the biggest dealers of Ventrac near here, Jeff.

They were/are from my neck of the woods, I believe. I heard the same exact story but not the mennonite part. I remember a G just sitting in the weeds next to a barn where I grew up. If I knew then what I know now. Ive seen one at the local fair. Cool little tractors that remind me of a Cub backwards.

• Like 1

dells68

My uncle gave me an old Simplicity wonder boy lever steer last fall.  Its rough, but I'll get to it one of these days.  Really reminds me of a mini G.  Not mine, but what they can look like.

IMG_7645.JPG

• Like 2

squonk

Another mini G IMG_5785.jpg.85bdd2f53d307c1cbc1ac162a5eaadb4.jpg

• Like 1