stolmar

transmission problem

stolmar

Hello to my fellow wheel horse enthusiasts. I am brand new to the site. Over the past few years i have collected a few tractors. 9 to be exact. Up here in Canada, we don't see a lot of horses for sale. When I bought my first one, D180,14 years ago, I did not know what I had. I use it as a daily driver. Blow snow, multiple drive ways, cut grass, again multiple yards. Only in the last 4 years did I start my collection. 1960 suburban 400 w/e start. 1962 702. 1054. 1968 raider 9 6 speed. 1974 D200 fully loaded. my original 1975 D180 pretty plain. 1976 D 200 w/ loader.  Another D200 w/o tags but fully loaded. 312 hydro. I have many very unique original accessories for each one. They are all original and in pretty good shape except my daily driver which I swapped the motor for a honda 20hp.   Any way, my problem is with the D200 with no tag. My last purchase. I was using it to push snow when it stopped going forward. I could, and did back it into my garage and let it thaw out. The oil looked clean but thin, like hydralic. the hydro lift worked good as did reverse. I was a little rammy the next day and went back and forth on the directional control and it started working in both directions. I used it for the next several snow storms then  it stopped going backward. i got my daily tractor and pulled it back and then drove it to my garage. I did release the hydro tran. to move it. Since than I have checked the linkage, changed the oil,

and still nothing. I did read many posts referring to buying the sunstrand manual, and have seen the manual for sale. # 1/  is it reasonably easy to repair the pump. # 2/ are the parts available. Of the 3 D series i have, it is the only one that has given me an issue. I should mention that i'm not easy on them. The only reason I changed the motor was it started to smoke a little. i still have the complete motor,ready too rebuild. I consider myself mechanical enclined to build anything. My next project for wheel horse is a back hoe for the loader tractor.

• Like 3

R. L. Addison

I would bet a check valve is sticking, or maybe both. The lift working would back that up. I would remove both check valves and examine and maybe even sacrifice a little oil to blow them out. They are recessed deep into the  motor casting, and I have never seen either plug come out easily. I made a special tool from a 5/8 grade 8 bolt  and bushing to remove them a few weeks ago, as I have four Sundstrand units down now. The hyd motor may have to be removed to access these valves. Use the manual, work it till you are satisfied the check valves are, or are not the problem, and go from that point forward. Hopefully you will be lucky and it will not be too bad.  Ron A.   dunngawn@hotmail.com

• Like 2

stolmar

First of all, thank you to all the replies of information. I am afraid of this hydraulic issue as I have never worked on the internals of them. Over the years I have heard of many horror stories. The other thing is I am not a computer guy so trying to get this information off the computer is going to take the kids. I have a couple of projects in front of the D200 so it will give me time to get the young ones to help me out.

• Haha 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, stolmar said:

I am not a computer guy so trying to get this information off the computer is going to take the kids.

My granddaughter taught me most of what I know about computers! The Sundstrands on a "D" are a bit more complicated than others only because of their location. There are a lot of posts on this site about "D" transmissions and I would urge you to read up on them a little first. When you do start working start a new post with specific questions and pictures of anything that is not clear to you.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti: