oldlineman

Hey old guys what is this

oldlineman

Found this at my mother- in -laws house and don't know what it is. Thought one or more of the older generation might know. Some kind of cutter maybe for electronics. Has an RCA emblem on the side (dog looking and old victrola. Any help would be great Bob

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

Edited by oldlineman
  • Like 2

WHX??

Stab in the dark here.... some kind of wire cutter/stripper/crimper???

oldlineman

Yea definitely some kind of cutter, looks like it guides the item to be cut at and angle. Small guillotine type cutter. Thanks for your ideas!

stevasaurus

WOW !!  That is so cool...no plastic in that.  It would make an excellent paper weight.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Dennis , you nailed that one. Never saw one before.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

It is for cutting fiber needles for "old" victrola machines. Yes, i am that old!

Hey Ken,  I thought I was old, but I drew a blank on this one, and we even had a Victrola.    Just how old must one be to remember this cutter?    :unsure:

• Like 4

ztnoo

Notice the iconic image of "Nipper" engraved on the arm of the cutter.

500px_RCA_dog.png

Nipper was born in 1884 in Bristol, England, and died in September 1895.[1] He was a mixed-breed dog and probably part Jack Russell Terrier,[2] although some sources suggest that he was a Smooth Fox Terrier,[3] or "part Bull Terrier".[4] He was named Nipper because he would "nip" the backs of visitors' legs.[5]

Nipper originally lived with his owner, Mark Henry Barraud, in the Prince's Theatre where Barraud was a scenery designer.[6] When Barraud died in 1887, his brothers Philip and Francis took care of the dog. Nipper himself died of natural causes in 1895 and was buried in Kingston upon Thames in Clarence Street, in a small park surrounded by magnolia trees. As time progressed the area was built upon, and a branch of Lloyds Bank now occupies the site. On the wall of the bank, just inside the entrance, a brass plaque commemorates the terrier that lies beneath the building.[7]

On 10 March 2010, a small road near to the dog's resting place in Kingston upon Thames was named Nipper Alley in commemoration of this resident.[8]

In 1898, three years after Nipper's death, Francis Barraud, his last owner and brother of his first owner, painted a picture of Nipper listening intently to a wind-up Edison-Bell cylinder phonograph. Thinking the Edison-Bell Company located in New Jersey, USA,[5] might find it useful, he presented it to James E. Hough, who promptly said, "Dogs don't listen to phonographs". On May 31, 1899, Barraud went to the Maiden Lane offices of The Gramophone Company with the intention of borrowing a brass horn to replace the original black horn on the painting. Manager William Barry Owen suggested that if the artist replaced the machine with a Berliner disc gramophone, that he would buy the painting. The image became the successful trademark of the Victor and HMV record labels, HMV music stores, and the Radio Corporation of America, after the acquisition of the Victor company in 1929. The trademark was registered by Berliner for use in the United States on July 10, 1900.[9] (See His Master's Voice for a complete history of the brands based on Nipper.)

The slogan "His Master's Voice", along with the painting, was sold to The Gramophone Company for 100 pounds sterling - 50 pounds for the copyright and 50 pounds for the painting itself.[10] Francis Barraud said : "It is difficult to say how the idea came to me beyond the fact that it suddenly occurred to me that to have my dog listening to the phonograph, with an intelligent and rather puzzled expression, and call it 'His Master's Voice' would make an excellent subject. We had a phonograph and I often noticed how puzzled he was to make out where the voice came from. It certainly was the happiest thought I ever had."[11] The original oil painting hung in the EMI board room in Hayes, Middlesex, for many years.

The iconic image of a mixed fox/bull terrier, Nipper, looking into a phonograph became an international symbol of quality and excellence for the Victor Talking Machine Company.[12] Nipper lives on through the brand names; he even appeared in ads on television with his "son", a puppy named Chipper who was added to the RCA family in 1991.[13] Real dogs continue to play the roles of Nipper and Chipper, but Chipper has to be replaced much more frequently, since his character is a puppy.

Nipper continues to be the mascot of HMV stores in countries where the entertainment retailer has the rights to him. Both RCA Records and EMI have deemphasized Nipper in the global music market due to the fragmented ownership of the trademark.

Victor Company of Japan (JVC) also uses the logo within Japan, which includes the "His Master's Voice" slogan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipper

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Digger 66

I thought it was a little catapult.:( 

Kenneth R Cluley

Actually my Grandpa showed me this when I was a little "nipper" myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oldlineman

Thanks guys, I knew that I would get an answer. We know more than just horse stuff. Very smart group here on RED SQUARE. My mother-in-law just passed March 10 and we are going through the house now, very big job! Thanks again. Bob , PS no disrespect about the old comment,we just had longer to learn stuff, I am old also!

953 nut
32 minutes ago, oldlineman said:

no disrespect about the old comment,we just had longer to learn stuff, I am old also!

Our Gramophone must have been an upgraded model, it had a metal needle.

5ab43f36417eb_Oldpeople.jpg.a0326690dd47fe5c2e94338c189c8e15.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2