PeacemakerJack

Coulter Caleb at Convention

Sparky

Impressive! He did about 40 push-ups more than I could do!! 😄

Nice to read about a motivated young man. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Awesome and fantastic !!!!

:happy-partydance:

:popcorn:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

Josh, Yes sir I can, Caleb drew that very good:clap: job well done. I hope he does well overall through out the competition, other than the 3 years art in highschool the 2 best things I earned in my school career was 1) in eight grade all WV students were required to take WV history then near the end of year/class take a test and at least 2 or more of the highest scoring students from each of the 55 counties got to go to the state capital to be "knighted" as a "Knight of the Golden Horseshoe" I myself being one of the few in 1985, 2) in 12th grade during Vo-Tech won the local and regional VICA auto mechanics competition going on to state and placing in the top 10 (computer engine management was becoming the latest thing and our teacher wasn't up to date) but anyways good memories, hopefully Caleb utilizes all of these moments for his future endeavors,(don't mean to hi-jack your post or toot my own horn), Jeff.

Screenshot_20170320-203034.png

Screenshot_20170320-203003.png

• Like 5

Achto

That's some great accomplishments for his first year or any year.:handgestures-thumbupright: Tell Caleb to keep up the good work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                   Caleb is a fine young man, look forward to meting him one day.           

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

dclarke

Great job Caleb, keep up the good work!... And thank you for your service, Paul!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack
11 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

1) in eight grade all WV students were required to take WV history then near the end of year/class take a test and at least 2 or more of the highest scoring students from each of the 55 counties got to go to the state capital to be "knighted" as a "Knight of the Golden Horseshoe" I myself being one of the few in 1985, 2) in 12th grade during Vo-Tech won the local and regional VICA auto mechanics competition going on to state and placing in the top 10

Jeff—that is awesome!  Congrats on both those accomplishments at a young age!  I feel like much of our society today has become so accepting of mediocrity that it has really stripped away the potential of our younger generation to strive for excellence.  “Let’s give everyone a trophy” or “We don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings and so we won’t keep score” just doesn’t sit well with me.  I’ve learned from my successes but I’ve also learned a lot from my failures. Well done Jeff on those early successes and striving hard for excellence.  

Thanks guys for the kind words and if Caleb can carve out a few free moments today in between his speech and music events, I’ll have him log in and comment himself. Otherwise, I’m sure he’ll do a write up after it is over on Friday evening or Saturday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Go get ‘em Caleb! 👍👍

• Like 3

JPWH
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Go get ‘em Caleb! 👍👍

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 3

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I’ve learned from my successes but I’ve also learned a lot from my failures.

Agreed. 

In too many ways mediocrity has become the sad norm.

If you never "fail" you cannot succeed! 

I've reached a point in my life in which I don't look at most of my non-successes as failures.

I tried. It didn't work. So??  

I learned something. 

I try again. 

Repeat as needed. .....

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

“Repeat as needed”

Too many times :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

• Haha 6

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

“Repeat as needed”

Too many times :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Yeah well ya know...... sometimes...

• Haha 2

Coulter Caleb

Thanks guys for the support:handgestures-thumbupright: 

It’s really fun here we’ve done a lot of stuff   over the past few days.Today I am doing a speech,singing,and watching other people do there acts.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

PeacemakerJack

We are at the midpoint of the day and all is going well.  Caleb is doing a very good job.  In some of the categories, other entries have more experience and quality but I’m still proud of his hard work...

9503B896-CE35-4287-8D2A-897B34C9FEFA.jpeg.eb41d7cefa2b610a691876f3e80a9f06.jpeg

Here he is competing in famous speech.  He is reciting from memory “The declaration of War” given by FDR on December 8th, 1941.  Caleb did a good job but had a couple of memory lapses but he finished strong and I was proud of his work.

53C61BDA-8702-4C27-96D6-D051DB2457D8.jpeg.9f17e06c5f8f6110ecba05205337c3fc.jpeg

Next up was the Male solo. This is an area that you wouldn’t catch me attempting when I was 13 or today but he has a much better voice than I do...

His voice hasn’t changed yet and so he can sing the really high notes which he did a great job at hitting.

Then it was time for the male duet.2CAAAD89-183F-46D9-AFF8-BDDBD9B83FCD.jpeg.bbdb643a74d5fd0caf5d90dfaec908a2.jpeg  He was able to sing with his buddy Reagan.  They had a few shaky moments but overall delivered a good performance and Caleb’s high notes were the talk of the down time in between the next couple of performances.  

When I was his age, I was only brave enough to enter the woodworking category.  I did very well with the projects that I entered but I’m so glad that he is willing to expand his horizons and enter in a variety of events.  

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Pretty special Caleb.  Thanks for sharing Josh.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

PeacemakerJack

Steve—you are our favorite “south of the Cheddar Border” Local Circle buddy.  I’m glad that you’ve gotten to meet Caleb already and spend some time with him in person. He’s quite a kid!

• Like 2

WHX??

Sure don't dress like a plow boy! Keep up the good work Caleb! :handgestures-thumbupright:

9503B896-CE35-4287-8D2A-897B34C9FEFA_jpeg_eb41d7cefa2b610a691876f3e80a9f06.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:  cleans up good doesn’t he?

But make no mistake about it, that kid will climb into the furrows and stay there most of the day if you keep him in fuel on a good running “steed” :auto-driving:

• Like 4

ebinmaine
56 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-yeahthat:  cleans up good doesn’t he?

But make no mistake about it, that kid will climb into the furrows and stay there most of the day if you keep him in fuel on a good running “steed” :auto-driving:

I have no intention of sticking my nose into your parenting Circle or whatever but you may want to have him change out of those fine clothes before you toss him in a furrow.

C'mon  Maw! It's clean mud! I promise!

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Haha 5

19richie66

But he already has on them boots. Bet there’s some work clothes under that suit. Rip that suit off like Superman as he runs for the tractor. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Haha 6

PeacemakerJack

Ready to change “hats” and clothes at a moments notice.  Clark Kent doesn’t have anything on Coulter Caleb!!!:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

953 nut
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

tried. It didn't work. So??  

I learned something. 

I try again.

Thomas Edison's teachers said he was "too stupid to learn anything." He was fired from his first two jobs for being "non-productive." As an inventor, Edison made 1,000 unsuccessful attempts at inventing the light bulb. ... Edison replied, "I didn't fail 1,000 times,  I discovered 1,000 unsuitable materials.

• Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

So Caleb finished the day strong with a couple more music performances...

140FA35F-76E1-460D-8488-D22565FFAA32.jpeg.86b6afde74b3c42f19645b1ab45a3821.jpeg

Sang in a mixed trio and a male quartet...

F4F5E5E5-0473-469F-9525-C7E0BDB46307.jpeg.552fc956b09d10059d744c77e5ff1a85.jpeg

All in all a pretty busy day for him.B04A5D3F-8A4C-4594-81BF-2A114DCC15FF.jpeg.9187306f25fd247071b51c5506ea2457.jpeg

He made a new friend in his favorite competitor, Jordan.  They were in three events together and had time to talk before and after competing.

09EEAC4B-DB5C-4A0C-AF40-A032911F1599.jpeg.8047a758b030e988a6ca58c5f074e565.jpeg

The medals were handed out for athletics tonight and Caleb received a first place for the 400 meter run and a third place for the physical fitness category.BCB7AEC4-3866-4281-802D-7ADD3608AB65.thumb.jpeg.0f5b3b3c277bb2cc4434cca4ee7edd0a.jpeg

He is officially done with competition, now he has to wait for the afternoon awards program tomorrow to see how he did in his speech and music categories...

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Awesome @Coulter Caleb. Great job. 

• Thanks 1