jimdoright

Tractor to run tiller

jimdoright

Appreciate any input from this wise and experienced group...

I can get only one of these two (not both...can't talk her into THAT!) to run a tiller.

C125A with new overhaul (piston, rings), does include 42" rd deck, runs smooth,  nice cosmetics. I don't have any serial numbers.

312-8 CommandPro, 500 hours. Mint shape. I don't have any serial numbers.

Intended use is for heavy residential tilling, (don't anticipate more than 25-50 hrs/year).  Prices about the same for each (then mower could get remarketed).

The C engine is cast iron, but hydro with unknown maintenance/filter change history.

The 312-8 has the aluminum block (and gears).

They are each a-nice-ride-in-the-country outing but in opposite directions and would only go for one trip.

In advance thanks for your time.

Jim

• Like 2

oldredrider

Go with the 8 speed. Hydros have a tendency to be pushed by the tiller and result in erratic ground speed.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

:WRS: Jim

I would say the 312- 8 would be a better tilling tractor. Manuals are usually favored for ground engaging attachments. Good luck if you get her and :wwp:

• Like 1

Forest Road

Manuals are better for tilling. Hydros get pushed by tiller 

• Like 1

pfrederi

I agree with above an 8 speed is ideal for tilling.  It does take some effort to raise the tiller, a consideration if you have shoulder problems.  500 hours isn't much.  I am always a bit leary about "overhauled" engines.  Was it a machine shop ovrhaul or did the PO just throw in some new rings and call it a day....

• Like 1

jimdoright

Thank you gentlemen!

Confirms what my gut was telling me about trans choice.  Then it came down to whether the lighter engine will thrive but at yearly usage and proper attention to maintenance I think I'll be okay.  Thanks again.

Might be a few days for pics.

• Like 1

12 hp Kohler

:WRS:, as stated before I also think the 8 speed trans is better for tilling. As much as I like the c series tractors the 312 will prolly be the better option. 

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@jimdoright :WRS: and we will need photos when you get it!

WVHillbilly520H

I'm going to be the odd man out only because I bought my first :wh: new a 520H (hydro) and have used it for everything including running the tiller of course it is the biggest of the classics twin cylinder but after a bit of tilling you learn how to "feather" the motion control to keep that earth churner from "pushing" too much and my arm/shoulder doesn't bother me in the least lifting and the end of the run, just my personal experiences and :twocents-02cents:, Jeff.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I've only had manual trans tractors, but I agree that with the ground engaging attachments, they work great!

Chris G

I would go with the 8 speed as well. 

Sarge

I've used a self-powered tiller behind a C-160 auto, wouldn't hesitate a bit to run a tiller on an automatic. The C series piston to piston units handle being pushed better than the first generation hydrogear units by a lot. Better valving and a lot more robust pump design. A severely worn pump or bad internal valve springs will allow the implements or hills to change ground speed, otherwise they handle a push load almost the same as gear drives.

I've pulled several tons behind the old 1277 and C series as well,  the Sundstrand gets a bad rap that's not really deserved. Most never, ever had their oil changed,  had automotive engine oil filters installed and generally abused beyond belief,  yet still run just fine. I've only ever had one bad auto, just a victim of severe contamination and it would really take off downhill fast. I figured it out later when the hydrogear failed, it was badly burned and scored on all the pistons and plates. Both direction valve springs were broken,  if I had only known how to fix it the thing would probably be in service today.

My opinion,  but I'd rather own the older C series over any of the later 300 series tractors,  but it's just an opinion.

Sarge

• Like 1

Cvans

The hydro will get the job done BUT it will be a lot easier on the operator if you use the 8 spd. This is coming from experience with both. You can set your ground speed with the manual and forget it till you get to the other end of the garden. You will become a hydro jockey using the hydro. This is especially true on unbroken ground. As far as the Hydro holding up, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a Diesel in mine that puts out gobs of torque and it hasn't bothered it at all. Had the same engine in an 8 spd. and it shredded it. 

Try them both and see which you like the best if your undecided.

Skipper

I till with a hydro too, no problem, just another technique as mentioned. The hydraulic lift however is just sweet, and in my opinion a very important part of your decision. It is way harder raising the tiller by hand, than it is adjusting your speed by pushing the lever a bit. They are both good machines that will do the job, but I would take the 125A. I have two of those with tillers on, and they work without problems. Yes I have also tilled with 8 speed models. ;-)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Cvans
7 hours ago, Skipper said:

The hydraulic lift however is just sweet, and in my opinion a very important part of your decision. It is way harder raising the tiller by hand, than it is adjusting your speed by pushing the lever a bit

This is one point that I forgot and is a good one. The older you get the more the hydraulic lift becomes a deal breaker. Thanks for bringing it up. :text-goodpost:

• Like 1

Skipper

Just took the 195 and the D tiller for a spin, just to prove my point. A hydro tractor CAN till. :-)

20180328_164649.mp4

• Excellent 3

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, Skipper said:

Just took the 195 and the D tiller for a spin, just to prove my point. A hydro tractor CAN till. :-)

20180328_164649.mp4

Excellent, If I don't sell my 36" this spring maybe I'll have to get my videographer to catch the 520 in action churning some soil if the in-laws decide to plant this year, I'm not knocking a gear drive tractor got a couple myself but if they were the only tractors to use for gardening why did all the major brands put the biggest engines with a hydrostatic as their top GARDEN TRACTORS...Jeff.

• Like 1

jimdoright

All good posts and welcomed.