"Manic-Mechanic"

18 Auto In The Snow! Narrow Front Wheels......

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

I got  a foot of Snow, tried to drive across the yard, Not! I got about twelve feet into it and Snow just piled in front of those big old turf's! On pavement it is great with both front & rear blades but in the yard, a "turd"! I had to go get the walk behind snow blower and make a road to get back to the garage!

Now I am thinking about some narrow front wheels, perhaps she'll do better then? Anyone run narrow front wheels on the 18 Auto or a D Series in the Snow, in the yard?

Oldman

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I don't have the answer but I'm curious to see what becomes of this subject so I'm going to fall along

• Like 3

littleredrider

IMO it’s about traction. I had plane turfs on the front of the 518, but had 25” severe ags on the back, no weight just me, and would go thru snow pretty good. Now, I couldn’t steer, had to stand on front axle to turn around. Had all of a foot of snow. The fronts almost wanted to ride on top, but was too soft. I almost can now.. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Interesting topic. Differant, I have to see replies to. I am always on pavement, so cant help you out.

Glenn

• Like 1

Pullstart

When I was little and we had a 3 wheeler it could float in the creek out back... not sure how that applies to a D in the snow but it just crossed my mind!  :wacko:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

"Manic-Mechanic"

Yah, I'd love to ride that 3 wheeler on the water for sure! The 18 Auto is just too heavy on the Snow with the wide turfs it tries to "plow"! My 312-8 with ags flies around the Snow like crazy, but no I can't hardly steer it either! Maybe a set of skis on front? Build a halftrack? Lol:occasion-snowman:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Oldman said:

Yah, I'd love to ride that 3 wheeler on the water for sure! The 18 Auto is just too heavy on the Snow with the wide turfs it tries to "plow"! My 312-8 with ags flies around the Snow like crazy, but no I can't hardly steer it either! Maybe a set of skis on front? Build a halftrack? Lol:occasion-snowman:

Have you tried roller chain on the front ?

Half track .... YES  !!!

You build. We watch. Everybody wins.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Tankman

Someone did mount snowmobile skis on the front axle, Think (:huh:) the picture is here in the forums somewhere.

I just plowed 6"+ snow with my Work Horse, weights, chains.  Long gravel drive. Did well. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Spring on blade fixed. One of my sons pushin' the wet cold heavy nasty junque.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Skipper

Well narrower tires may work, but how about going bigger too? I mean bigger diameter, then it will have more tendency to roll over the snow, and not so much plow thru. Just an idea.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Yes they would almost have to be bigger, maybe tri-rib? The huge rims are the challenge. Like to find something already to go with a 1" axle bearing.......However, the Snow fall here is almost null & void to go through all of this. Compulsive, but it's so much fun!

Oldman

Edited by Oldman
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Oldman said:

Yes they would almost have to be bigger, maybe tri-rib? The huge rims are the challenge. Like to find something already to go with a 1" axle bearing.......However, the Snow fall here is almost null & void to go through all of this. Compulsive, but it's so much fun!

Oldman

Are you looking for a rim with the Hub built-in? Or a 1 inch bearing hub that you can put rims on?

I haven't looked at the site in quite a while but etrailer.com had some hubs and stuff on there.

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

I did use a set of 1", 4-bolt hubs on a 1" axle on this large utility cart, worked nice too. So there is that as well. I should really "think" about this tire thing because the Snow doesn't hit here like in New England! I remember coming out of the back door and seeing nothing but Snow! I had to keep a shovel in the back hallway to dig out!

100_0575.JPG

100_0573.JPG

• Like 4

Sarge

Look at my front axle upgrade on the D180. I used the 1" bearings trailer hubs and 4 bolt wheels from E-trailer,  worked perfectly on the D. OTR ags in the stock 18x8.50-8 size on the front, ags on the rear w/weights and it's unstoppable unless it blows up the pump coupling. It's been ran through 16" of snow with no problem with the blade off as well,  steers just fine.

Ags on the front won't roll the snow up in front of them the way turf treads do. That's one of the main reasons I use them on both axles.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

I couldn't find your post?

Oldman

"Manic-Mechanic"

I remember that post, very thorough and involved. The absolute upgrade for the front end for sure. You did some improvements to the steering assembly as well. I can find those ags but it's another 200.00 into this machine, thinking about it. I could get away with the hub upgrade using just the spacer bushings and heavy washers?

Oldman

Sarge

You can just use spacers and washers, just make sure you can pre-load those tapered bearings.

Sarge

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

I did find the bearings and some lock to prevent spinning in the cradle, only to disassemble it requires 500f heat.

KOYO-JAPAN

60092RSC3-102919 37.62

60102RSC3-102914 43.30

I am reluctant to use the bearing lock but, I shouldn't be tearing this down any time soon.

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG