JPWH

My 854 6 speed project

Aldon

Awesome. Love the size of that blast cabinet!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Jay, its going to turn out great. You always do a nice job. Will be following along.

Glenn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Jay, its going to turn out great. You always do a nice job. Will be following along.

Glenn

:text-yeahthat:

What he said....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

If you figure out a parking brake before I do... be sure to post the detail please!  The 6/8 speed transmission has a slightly different brake setup so I haven't nailed that part of the build yet.  I think that's my next fab project to speak of... I think!

• Like 1

JPWH

The parking brake was on it when I got it. I'll take a picture for you if you want.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Oh... it's already a 6 speed?  Awesome, sounds great!

• Like 1

ri702bill

All:

I built one of these a yew years back from a running 854 with a bad 4 speed Unidrive. Picked up a complete 79 C81, minus the motor for 75 bucks. The pictures show it with a 702 hood and short 7HP air cleaner.

Had to change the driven pulley on the Unidrive, shorten the dipstick & tube, and use a clutch rod from a Raider 10. I use it mostly for snow plowing. I also am interested in how get the parking brake hooked up. Right now, the plow keeps it from rolling in neutral.

Bill

P1010326.JPG

P1010327.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

bmsgaffer

I have the same project started, but not restore, only refit 6 speed. I have had the 6 speed in the middle of being "rebuilt" now for 3 years :doh:

I am looking forward to the progress!

• Like 2

Achto

Chiming in so I can come along for the ride. Your big blast cabinet is awesome! Looks like you have a little Swiss cheese issue on the hood, definitely repairable though.  

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

JPWH

Thanks for the kind comments. I built the blast cabinet when I did my first 854. I knew I was going to build the custom 12 so I made it big enough for that hood and frame as well. I picked this 854 6 speed up at the Big show last year with the intent to go through it like I did the first one.

• Like 2

JPWH

I went down to the shop to get pictures of the parking brake but discovered I didn't have one. It won't be hard to do. I changed the brake band and will have to make a brake lever and modify the brake rod a little.

BeforeKIMG1250.jpg.1e726f70b5360fe8224ef91942c5b34a.jpg

After

KIMG1251.jpg.db775100836e8b903e3f95d07f665b5b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

JPWH

I have decided to make a custom brake rod and save the original with the brake band I removed.

• Like 3

JPWH

I made a little progress today with the parking brake. This is what I came up with. Still need to trim the handle and make a little adjustment.

KIMG1260.jpg.7726ee46685167184a9bf073525db9f9.jpg

KIMG1261.jpg.73684cc696e9fbb82d31f03b3ebcc743.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Chris G

I have to do a similar project myself on my custom 702. I will be using your photo for a little bit of brainstorming on my project. But good job so far

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1