Sign in to follow this  
Clinton1396

1969 Commando V8

Clinton1396

Hey, some of you may know that I recently bought a 69 commando v8. Well this project is going to be my senior project, so I have to take alot of pictures. So I thought I would post some on here to show my progress.

I have her all torn down and started clean the parts. Im having alot of fun so far!

Also it doesn't have the stock motor, I might replace it with the stock on if I can find one (and have the money lol)

2wgvzah.jpg

34t5nar.jpg

20aca40.jpg

2ihbgoi.jpg

vg3mlj.jpg

27zj60w.jpg

2isxlsg.jpg

Also you guys paint the carbs to match the motor or just leave them sliver color?

wildman

That looks like a pretty good find. Have fun and enjoy, your herd will multiply. BTW i like your green & yellow porta- john by the horse. :thumbs: Bill

Clinton1396

Well I have been working every night on this mower. I started painting this weekend and it is turning out better then expected lol.

also well I was tearing down my 8hp motor, there was a couple big gashes in the piston wall so I thought I should probably replace the motor when I have the mower all torn apart. So I had this BS 18hp 2 cylinder and I got to thinking! :thumbs: lol any opinions on putting this motor on my tiny tractor?

dg2az8.jpg

oqj3g6.jpg

20fyiiv.jpg

2vs22ah.jpg

TT

It's looking good so far, but I'm not sure the twin is the way to go. They're too tall to fit under the hood without major modifications.

Here's a post from one of our "lost" members who already did the twin thing:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4977

Watch the local ads, etc. for something like an MTD or Craftsman with a single cylinder vertical shaft engine and a blown transaxle. :whistle:

Where on planet Earth are you anyway? :thumbs:

Clinton1396

thanks, I never thought about it being to tall, I will have to look for motor then. Im from Jacobus, Pa it is right below york

past7971

I have a few of those and they are really stout for being a verticle shaft engined tractor. Yours originally had a 8hp KV181 Kohler but they are hard to find. I agree with TT on replacement search and dont be afraid of higher horsepower because it will handle it in case you find one with 12-16hp. Looks like someone swapped 12" rims/tires on rear--originally had 20tall-10wide-10rim on rear. Looks meaner with bigger rubber but really have to watch fender clearance and I dont think mower deck will fit if you were ever planning on putting one under it. All in all, I'd say your doing a great job with it and keep us updated on your progress. Cant wait to see "finished" pictures

TT

Im from Jacobus, Pa it is right below york

If you feel like making a road trip up to State College, I'll GIVE you 3 or 4 Briggs single cylinder engines you might be able to use. I know there's at least one good one (12hp) out there, and maybe another good one. (10 or 10.5hp) I don't have any good starters though. :thumbs:

Brian1045

Also you guys paint the carbs to match the motor or just leave them sliver color?

I painted my carb. Either way looks really good. :thumbs:

Clinton1396

past7971,

I was aware of the rims when I bought the tractor. So that day on the drive home I went to this snapper dealer that had alot of old mowers in the back. and I saw a 68-69 WH commander 8, that was all rusted out. Well that tractor also had 12" so I guess everybody took the 10"rims off of there tractors when they sold them. Idk

TT,

Thanks for that offer but I'm probably just going to try and use this 2 cylinder because it is cool :thumbs: lol but if I have to cut the hood or anything else then Im probably not going to use it.

past7971

I believe I have two or three extra sets of the 10" rims/tires stacked up in garage. Are you by chance going to the annual PA Wheel Horse in June? If so, I can throw a set of them in the back of pickup and you can have them.

Clinton1396

I haven't heard of this show before, I'm new to wheel horses. Is there a link to it with info? I will probley go so yea I will take them rims. Thanks

past7971

There WAS a link to it but....its all messed up right now??? Anyways, its at the South Mountain Fairgrounds off RT.234 in Arendtsville, PA on June 26&27. To get directions, use this address....615 Narrows Road...Biglerville,PA 17307-9519. Its quite the show to check out and there is swap meet/vendors there so you can probably get all the decals you'll need