Dan693

Repaint Restoration Process

Dan693

I have a complete and solid Lawn Ranger That was painted a dumb color during a restoration many years ago and I was thinking about repainting it.

It's all together and straight so it wont require much if any body work or metal repair......just paint.

I used to think it had to be completely disassembled first before blasting and painting but after thinking about it I'm not so sure.

It's seems to make more sense to start by removing, blasting, and painting the outer parts and working my way down to the frame.

It would keep the thing on wheels so it could still be moved around at least for part of the time instead of a big pile of parts all at once.

I also plan to get into the 90's and make a feeble attempt at filming / pics of the process so at least my sons have future proof that I didn't just sit around the shop drinking beer and listening to Led Zeppelin.all those years. Hell I may even have them help.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

953 nut
45 minutes ago, Dan693 said:

start by removing, blasting, and painting the outer parts and working my way down

:text-yeahthat:  That will give the paint on the sheet metal an opportunity to cure before it is handled again and prior to applying decals.  :woohoo:

:wwp:

• Like 2

Achto

If the paint on the sheet metal is not in bad shape you could just wet sand it with 400 to 600 grit sand paper and respray it. This would save you some time and the possible grief of finding hidden body work under the old paint. The rest of the tractor could also be wet sanded or Scotch brite the rough areas and then sprayed. Just suggestions.

• Like 2

SPINJIM

Sounds like a good plan to remove the sheet metal, and not completely disassemble everything.   Wheel Horse partially assembled the tractors at the factory before painting them.   Probably just added the engine, wheels, and sheet metal after painting everything else as a unit.   Have you ever tried to remove the spacer collar from the steering column?   Can't do it without removing the paint from the column.   I have power washed the frame and trans as a unit (sometimes with the engine still on, but protected), and then sanded the rough spots, and repainted from there.    

Jim

• Like 2

pfrederi

Whatever medium you use for the sand blasting it WILL get into bearings and other rub points no mater how much tape you use.

• Like 2

WHNJ701

good prep work is the key no matter what you do, I prefer to go to bare metal but most of what I restore is rust anyway, first step is good power wash and degrease, then decide if you can scuff and repaint, then make sure you wipe down all parts with a solvent cleaner, you want to eliminate any chance of fish eyes,  do make sure it's scuffed 100% dull, use a good primer, if you go the bare metal route use self etching primer, any questions ask I have been down this road many times keep posting your progress

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1