JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Front spindal question / C-175. Rim falls off

953 nut
9 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Please Lord, lets just get through this storm.

For the time being you will probably want to use the new "C" Clips, keep in mind that they are stamped steel and the rounded side should face toward  the wheel so the sharp side can grip the groove on the spindle shaft.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Or you could just clamp a vise grips on it to get you by this storm. :wwp:

What's with all these storms you easties are seeing .... if Ed @Ed Kennell took off his snow equipment  like he was supposed it would be spring! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

roadapples

:text-yeahthat:at least 1/8 maybe even 3/16" pin...

• Like 2

ronhatch

3/8" NF is OK too, just make sure you use the proper size drill bit. I'm thinking it's a numbered bit, but don't know it off the top of my older then dirt head. Just use plenty of cutting oil when taping the threads.

IMHO; I'd go with a 5/32" cotter pin. :rolleyes:

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 3

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, ronhatch said:

3/8" NF is OK too, just make sure you use the proper size drill bit. I'm thinking it's a numbered bit, but don't know it off the top of my older then dirt head. Just use plenty of cutting oil when taping the threads.

3/8 nc 5/16" driil

3/8 NF  Q  drill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I think he is going the cotter pin route Ron. If you are Glenn you should be able to do it right on the tractor.

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, WHX14 said:

What's with all these storms you easties are seeing .... if Ed @Ed Kennell took off his snow equipment  like he was supposed it would be spring! :D

Didn't have to Jim.   Just the threat was enough to make it snow.  And BTW, Spring has arrived.

IMG_0036.JPG.b6a422efe321fb0bb649f6022af3373f.JPG

• Like 4

wallfish
9 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Personally, I don't have the equipment to drill and tap the end of the spindles nicely and I prefer the look of the bolt rather than cotter pin so I would find good used spindles from an earlier C series to swap with your tractor. Just my preference.

Just a hand drill and you can use small adjustable wrench for the tap.

You can buy a tap with the correct drill bit at HD , Lowes or any good hardware store or order online. This application doesn't need to be exact perfect and it's a fairly simple process. WAAAAAY cheaper and easier than finding and replacing spindles. You can even do it with the wheels on the spindles. :twocents-02cents:

https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-American-21669-16-inch-Drill/dp/B000BQW6F0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1521583961&sr=8-7&keywords=5%2F16+drill+tap

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
4 hours ago, WHX14 said:

No Glenn they are not hardened at all and will drill like butter. Center punch & use a good sharp drill bit.

Ok, thanks......good news.

Glenn

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
4 hours ago, WHX14 said:

I think he is going the cotter pin route Ron. If you are Glenn you should be able to do it right on the tractor.

Yep, the cotter pin route is it.  

Glenn

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Just a hand drill and you can use small adjustable wrench for the tap.

You can buy a tap with the correct drill bit at HD , Lowes or any good hardware store or order online. This application doesn't need to be exact perfect and it's a fairly simple process. WAAAAAY cheaper and easier than finding and replacing spindles. You can even do it with the wheels on the spindles. :twocents-02cents:

https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-American-21669-16-inch-Drill/dp/B000BQW6F0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1521583961&sr=8-7&keywords=5%2F16+drill+tap

This idea is worth re visiting though. I need to put some study on it. All the suggestions are much appreciated to.

Tomorrow is shaping up to be a battle royal.    :violence-blades:

Glenn

• Haha 3

ronhatch

I prefer the look of the bolt rather than cotter pin."

There should small caps that fit over the rim hub to hide and protect whatever method you choose to go with. There is a guy on this site that sells plastic caps for that purpose. I'm sure someone will chime in with his information.  On my C101, I used $0.69, 1 1/4" (?) PVC water pipe caps from HD. They look great after I painted them red. They were a little loose, so I wrapped a couple of turns around the rim hub with good old duck tape to make up the small difference in diameter.  That was 3 years ago. "Necessity is the mother of invention!" :think:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, ronhatch said:

On my C101, I used $0.69, 1 1/4" (?) PVC water pipe caps from HD.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Nice idea there...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tarcoleo

I have two modified "C" chassis both equipped with 3/4" split shaft collars

to secure wheels on front spindles.  Work really well.  Simple to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

diesel cowboy
On 3/20/2018 at 1:34 PM, pfrederi said:

Guys I thought my mind was going so I just went out and looked at my old Dodge (its an M-37 but was made by Dodge)  The Left Hand threaded lugs are on the driver side (left).

Edit:  Don't see much marked hardware anymore like on her.  2 of the initials are long gone now...sad

IMG_0103.JPG

First time I ran into the left hand thread wheel bolts was on one of the cars listed on that bolt head.  Drove me nuts being all of 13 at the time and not knowing that was how they used to make them.  IH used to mark all their bolts like that too.

I agree with it being sad that 2 of the initials being gone now.  They were both great cars.  I have 3 of the DeSoto's 2 for parts and 1 almost complete that I've driven. Even at almost 70 years old its a smooth ride and that Fluid Drive shifts so you can barely feel it.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, tarcoleo said:

I have two modified "C" chassis both equipped with 3/4" split shaft collars

to secure wheels on front spindles.  Work really well.  Simple to do.

Could I see a picture of that please? When you can. No rush.

Thanks, Glenn

Tankman
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:43 PM, WHX14 said:

No Glenn they are not hardened at all and will drill like butter. Center punch & use a good sharp drill bit.

Easy enough but, drill, stop, drill, stop.

Just a second or so on the drill bit. Keep clearing the chips out.

Of course keep some thrust washers (http://qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/ThrustB_Washer_SL_SB_I.php)  handy to minimize wheel lateral movement. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
3 hours ago, Tankman said:

Easy enough but, drill, stop, drill, stop.

Just a second or so on the drill bit. Keep clearing the chips out.

Of course keep some thrust washers (http://qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/ThrustB_Washer_SL_SB_I.php)  handy to minimize wheel lateral movement. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tank, what size would work?  Good idea. I like the quality.

Glenn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
6 hours ago, tarcoleo said:

Wow nelly, now that is some idea to put on that spindal. Did you ever try these? This is a handy idea. Thanks. I like the way they cinch uo to. Would the size you showed work on my spindal?

Glenn

Tankman
1 hour ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Tank, what size would work?  Good idea. I like the quality.

Glenn

The ID axle OD dimension.

The OD (outside dimension) same as your rim's bearing housing (or close).

Example shown.

Thrust washer thickness depends on how much lateral movement you have; i.e.: 1/16" lateral movement? 1/16" thick thrust washer. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I have installed numerous thrust washers on front axles but, without measuring, forget the sizes.

QBC Bearings is quick delivery and reasonably priced. The '90 520-8 I restored needed thrust washers, works great when I

installed thrust washers. Zero wheel play and keeps grease in, dirt out. I have 'em on both sides of the rims if needed.

Thrust_Washers.jpg.cd6918a5aedf85ab9d79c58a049f4a50.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tarcoleo

The split shaft collar shown can be put one the spindle directly, with a washer. 

Yes, as I said, my WH's have been so equipped.

And you might consider replacing the junk bearings with heavy duty

roller bearings.  More if interested.

• Like 1

ronhatch

tarcoleo; Yes, interested!   What kind and size of (tapered?) roller bearing will take the place of the 1 3/8" OD X 3/4" ID junk ball bearings?

• Like 1

Tankman
12 hours ago, ronhatch said:

tarcoleo; Yes, interested!   What kind and size of (tapered?) roller bearing will take the place of the 1 3/8" OD X 3/4" ID junk ball bearings?

These bearings work fine if, greased and cleaned. Normal regular PM (preventative maintenance). :handgestures-thumbupright:

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/110513/

Edited by Tankman

wallfish
5 hours ago, ronhatch said:

Believe he's referring to these type. They're not tapered but roller bearings for the 3/4 spindle straight shaft x 1 3/8 OD

s-l300.jpg.205c3f3c2af8e3f1cb6b573cb3acff42.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1