JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Front spindal question / C-175. Rim falls off

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok, lucky me. Now the snow is heading our way again I started to have a problem. Front right wheel coming off the spindal. Upon examaning the C clip holding the rim on, it looks worn, bevel on one side and lost its shape. Even the groove cut into the spindal on the end looks worn, not as sharp and deep as it probably was. I tried new clips, extra washer so the rim didnt have so much lateral movement etc. "It might" hold for this next storm. I dont know for sure. Anyway, I guess my best option is to get 2 new replacement spindals for the summer rebuild of this tractor.

Where can I get 2?

I would imagine new, not used, why replace worn parts  with worn parts?

ANY AND ALL suggestions are welcome. Even ideas on getting through this next nor easter, keeping the rim on.

The worst stuff happens at the worst times. Murphys law.

Oh. I guess if I am replacing the spindals maybe redo the whole front end to. Why not. All replies are welcome.  Thanks.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

Sparky

I never liked that clip design. I would find a set of used spindles off a 70"s C series machine with the 9/16"th bolt that threads into the ends of the spindle to hold on the wheel assembly.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Stormin

I think the circlip idea is very cheap and nasty. My Sears/Roper is much better. Spindle end is treaded and has a lock nut.

You could drill and tap the spindle end for a bolt and washer. I will if ever I get the same problem.

• Like 4

classiccat

That probably explains why one of my C85 spindles had the circlip replaced with a cotter pin.

• Like 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

9/16"th bolt that threads into the ends of the spindle to hold on the wheel assembly.

That would be a 3/8" bolt, head is 9/16. I agree with John, drill it for a cotter pin.

• Like 4

JPWH

You could check A -Z tractors and flea bay for a set of spindles with the bolt.

• Like 3

Achto

I like the spindles that are drilled & tapped, this is the rout that I would go. I would even drill & tap a new set if I were replacing the old ones.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

You could give the spindle outside threads too, and use a nylock nut or even a crown nut with cotter pin to be extra extra sur.

• Like 4

Mike'sHorseBarn
8 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Ok, lucky me. Now the snow is heading our way again I started to have a problem. Front right wheel coming off the spindal. Upon examaning the C clip holding the rim on, it looks worn, bevel on one side and lost its shape. Even the groove cut into the spindal on the end looks worn, not as sharp and deep as it probably was. I tried new clips, extra washer so the rim didnt have so much lateral movement etc. "It might" hold for this next storm. I dont know for sure. Anyway, I guess my best option is to get 2 new replacement spindals for the summer rebuild of this tractor.

Where can I get 2?

I would imagine new, not used, why replace worn parts  with worn parts?

ANY AND ALL suggestions are welcome. Even ideas on getting through this next nor easter, keeping the rim on.

The worst stuff happens at the worst times. Murphys law.

Oh. I guess if I am replacing the spindals maybe redo the whole front end to. Why not. All replies are welcome.  Thanks.

Glenn

I think you have been given two good potential solutions.

1. Drill the spindle for a cotter pin. 

2. Replace the spindles with ones that are tapped for a bolt on the end or tap the existing spindles yourself.

Each solution is a good fix and better than the C clip and will depend on your personal preference. 

Personally, I don't have the equipment to drill and tap the end of the spindles nicely and I prefer the look of the bolt rather than cotter pin so I would find good used spindles from an earlier C series to swap with your tractor. Just my preference. 

Mike

• Like 4

pfrederi

Bolts are not fool proof..They can back out, usually left side.  Happened to me when plowing a few years ago with aC-175.  Fell off several hundred feet from the shop major PIA  (That is why old trucks had left hand thread lugnuts on the drivers side)  Wheel horse spec'd bolts with a plastic plug in them to keep that from happening but over time plastic gives up.  I am using these now.

bolts.JPG

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

I prefer the D & T fix.   I use a bolt and lock washer.  Never had one back out....yet. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:        

I have lost several   wheels while backing hay wagons into the barn.   These spindle nuts spin off often.See the source image

• Like 5

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I prefer the D & T fix.   I use a bolt and lock washer.  Never had one back out....yet. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:        

I have lost several   wheels while backing hay wagons into the barn.   These spindle nuts spin off often.See the source image

I admit it has only happened to me once...but that was not a fun day

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I hear ya Paul.    It wasn't a good day for me either  when I had to crawl under to  jack up a wagon load of hay that had lost a wheel and was leaning over against a wall.  

Sorry Glenn, I got a little  :text-offtopic: , but old guys minds wander.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

953 nut
20 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

old guys minds wander

Image result for old guys minds wander

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine

Oh I can SOOO relate to that.....

1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Image result for old guys minds wander

I'd lean towards the spindles with a bolt.

• Like 2

roadapples

Nothing wrong with the cotter pin idea. You can adjust tightness with different thickness washers and cover them with a pair of Glen's hub caps...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

Snow plowing is hard on what ever you use to hold the wheel on.  Think that when you are pushing heavy snow the front of the tractor wants to go sideways so you turn the wheels a bit to counter and they are slipping sideways.  In my case I was plowing to the left and was counter steering so the wheel was being pushed hard against the bolt (in my case) and it unscrewed or in other cases pops off the e clip.

• Like 3

squonk

I also prefer the bolts in the spindle.

Always liked it when a young auto tech would have to take the RH lugs off an old Dodge. He’d grab an air wrench and pound away until his fillings fell out or somebody stopped him! :tools-hammerdrill:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat: "Lefty Lucy / Righty Tighty"    didn't always apply on the old MoPars

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

pfrederi

Guys I thought my mind was going so I just went out and looked at my old Dodge (its an M-37 but was made by Dodge)  The Left Hand threaded lugs are on the driver side (left).

Edit:  Don't see much marked hardware anymore like on her.  2 of the initials are long gone now...sad

IMG_0103.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4

ronhatch

Why spend money on different spindles? Just take your electric drill and cross dill a 1/8" for a cotter pin. Simple. If you prefer take your drill and carefully drill a straight 5/16"  x 1" hole in the end  of the spindles and tap them w/ a 3/8 NC tap. Or simpler yet, if there is enough shaft sticking out be on the outer wheel bearing, install 3/4" split collars.  

• Like 4

Pollack Pete

I'd use 3/8 in. fine thread bolts with red Loc-tite.You'll still get them out when you need to remove a wheel.If they did happen to loosen up,the fine threaded bolt takes more turns to actually fall out.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hey guys, thanks for all the ideas. So far, I like the cotter pin, with a washer to take up space and cut down on that lateral rim movement.  Did anyone ever drill one of these out? I was told its hardened steel.  My be hard to drill out straight while in the tractor. 

Please Lord, lets just get through this storm. I swear, never fails.   :lol:   The snow totals are climbing again, a possibility of 2 ft. If that happens,,,,,,the southern states are looking better to me. At least I see some of you guys had this same design failure.  Anyway, I thank you and my Mike thanks you. I will be doing a photo shoot of him and posting pictures from "inside" the nice warm house.

Glenn

• Like 3

WHX??

No Glenn they are not hardened at all and will drill like butter. Center punch & use a good sharp drill bit.

• Like 6