Walhonding520

Hydraulic Take off

Walhonding520

Has anyone ever tried making a hydrolic take off system for a wheel horse?  My parents have a JD 318 and it has hydrolic fittings on the front for a blade and I have seen log splitters ran off this system. Does this exist for my 520h or has anyone at least tried it? If it is, I can see many options other than just a splitter. I know the lifting cylinder has no issue with my blade and the hydros move the tractor around with plenty of power so I feel like it could be an option. Thanks

• Like 1

wallfish

The trans only has about 700 psi so attaching a separate hydraulic pump would probably be the best option depending on what you're doing with it.

My tractor runs 2 pumps with completely separate hyd circuits, one for a loader and the other for a back hoe. It's the same principle you are suggesting but they're dedicated instead of going to quick connects on front/rear of tractor.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200329712_200329712

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, Walhonding520 said:

JD 318 and it has hydrolic fittings on the front for a blade and I have seen log splitters ran off this system. Does this exist for my 520h

You could come off the lines at the transaxle with a couple of "T" fittings and add lines and fittings to accomplish this. 

• Like 2

Walhonding520

Just realized I spelled hydraulics wrong lol.  Guess I started typing hydro and just added to it.

I am going to investigate both options depending on what I want to use the hydros for.  Coming directly off the supply lines with a "T" is the cheaper and quicker option.  

Wallfish, or anyone who has used a separate pump, where and how do you "attach" the pump to the tractor motor to power it?

I grew up on a farm and live in farm country, so I am going to be doing a lot of searching for pumps, cylinders, etc.  Ideas for attachments to run off these hydros at this point...

Log splitter

Small Brush hog (like a swisher but with a hydro motor like the ones they use on a skid steer)

Rear Log Boom for skidding logs

I have some skill and a really well equipped Agri. Shop at school to utilize so my options are only limited by what the tractor can do.

• Like 3

roadapples

Go for it and keep us updated...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, Walhonding520 said:

Just realized I spelled hydraulics wrong lol.  Guess I started typing hydro and just added to it.

I am going to investigate both options depending on what I want to use the hydros for.  Coming directly off the supply lines with a "T" is the cheaper and quicker option.  

Wallfish, or anyone who has used a separate pump, where and how do you "attach" the pump to the tractor motor to power it?

I have some skill and a really well equipped Agri. Shop at school to utilize so my options are only limited by what the tractor can do.

Power to separate pump would be coming from your PTO that runs the mower deck, snow thrower, or rear tiller, that separate pump would then need to be mounted most logically in the front attach-a-matic where the mower mule drive attaches, I suggest doing a search here on the forum for (FEL) front end loader builds for pump/mounting ideas, I have a smaller scale idea floating around in my head from the same JD remote system, without need for a separate pump just teeing off the existing fluid lines adding another spool valve and building a 4 way hydraulic snow/dozer blade on one of my 520s, also you might try "Surplus Center".com  for hoses/fittings valves cylinders pumps ect for your build, Jeff (pic for reference of PTO)

IMAG3751.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

wallfish

You can use the trans hydraulics for small stuff and It will be fine for any lifting type or small cylinder applications. But if you want to run something like a log splitter, you'll only be able to split branches with 700 psi. Also, the reservoir capacity of the trans has to be considered. Double acting cylinders will fill one side as it drains the opposite side but the volume of the rod of the cylinder is what will make a difference in capacity. For example, a large 5 inch cylinder, with a 2 1/2 inch bore (rod), times a 24 inch stroke will equal about 2 quarts of volume for the rod. That means the reservoir oil will change in volume by 2 quarts from full extension of the cylinder to full retraction. To operate small utility cylinders with a 1/2 bore (rod) certainly wouldn't be a problem as far as oil capacity changes.

Best advice I can give is to do some internet research on hydraulics and there are many online calculators to help figure out volumes, psi, gpm, rpm ect. ect. There are many circuit applications too like power beyond valves, circuit selector valves, ect. ect. It's probably a good idea to search for the psi and volume of your hydro trans. I'm no hydraulic expert by far but did a lot of researching before building the hoe and surprisingly retained some of it. :twocents-02cents:

Just be careful as well, do an internet search for "hydraulic accidents" under images and you will quickly realize the dangers of dealing with high pressure oil.

The pumps for FELs and such are commonly mounted to the side of the engine with a belt to the PTO. It could be mounted to the front Tach a matic but then that seriously limits what other attachment could be connected there. If you go external pump you will need to add a reservoir too.

Here's a pic of mine. Factory FEL pump is to the right. Added another backhoe pump to the lower left. I run two pumps but this is not common or necessary. Just wanted to keep both systems completely separate units so one could be removed without affecting the other.

pumps.jpg.d34c8b2cc7d700655e3340278d225752.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Walhonding520

Now I’m just working out where to mount. Thank you for the pictures for reference. Not sure if I want it in permanent or if I want to put it on just when I need the splitter. 

I have seen a few things where people have used power steering pumps. Anyone tried this?

DennisThornton
On 3/20/2018 at 6:44 AM, wallfish said:

The trans only has about 700 psi so attaching a separate hydraulic pump would probably be the best option depending on what you're doing with it.

My tractor runs 2 pumps with completely separate hyd circuits, one for a loader and the other for a back hoe. It's the same principle you are suggesting but they're dedicated instead of going to quick connects on front/rear of tractor.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200329712_200329712

John, are there pics of your backhoe on this forum?

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Walhonding520 There have been some threads with pictures of automobile power steering pumps being used . The Ford pumps run around 700 psi and I the Chevy pumps run around 1500 psi. Heard that somewhere .

wallfish

A power steering pump is way too small for running a splitter.

4 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

John, are there pics of your backhoe on this forum?

There was, but I think most are scattered around on different threads now. Never did an actual build thread since I joined the forums after it was already built in 2008. Did a whole thread with pics and info about it back then but some threads were lost when the forum was moved. Here's the original thread but all of the information went missing with the responses too

DennisThornton
11 minutes ago, wallfish said:

A power steering pump is way too small for running a splitter.

There was, but I think most are scattered around on different threads now. Never did an actual build thread since I joined the forums after it was already built in 2008. Did a whole thread with pics and info about it back then but some threads were lost when the forum was moved. Here's the original thread but all of the information went missing with the responses too

I have seen that!  Just forgot it was yours...

You built the BH?

wallfish
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

You built the BH?

Every piece, including the bucket teeth. I was sick of cutting, drilling and welding by the time it was finished

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Every piece, including the bucket teeth. I was sick of cutting, drilling and welding by the time it was finished

I have a BH on my NH TC35 and while I love it I'd like a smaller one at times but I can see it's a LOT of work!  Figured I'd find something and adapt but so far I've found nothing...