pyroplegic

Transmission dipstick broken?

pyroplegic

I went to check the gear oil in the 310-8 & the dipstick is dry, but the tip is jagged as if broke off.there's also no high or low marks on it.  Is  it shorter than normal ?
I'll be changing or flushing the oil this week to update you all.

dipstick1 - Copy.jpg

dipstick2 - Copy.jpg

dipstick3 - Copy.jpg

pfrederi

Looks Broken to me.  Save yourself some money open the diagonal plug on the transmission rear left side add oil though dipstick till it runs out plug.  That is full.

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Here's  a similar thread, this was on a D series  but  maybe some ideas as to why?

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

You do not need a dipstick if you use the method that Paul showed you.  I'd cut off a little more and use what is left to plug the hole.  Just remember the piece that if cut off is in the case somewhere.  You might get lucky with a magnet through the drain hole, but more likely, you would need to separate the halves to get it out of there.  :)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

red192126

If trans.oil is milkey looking or white tint transmission has water in it . The lower part of dip stick is rusted of at oil level. Check rubber boot around gear shifter for loose fit splitting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jerry77

Had a 89 312-8 that ate a little piece off the stick...at times that piece  would wedge in the gear and stop the tractor..just rocked it back and forth till it fell out and went on..didn't want to take it apart so I traded it in on a 96 314-8 .....problem solved..:lol:

• Haha 1

pyroplegic

well Jerry want to trade?

• Haha 1

WHX??

Another option would be stick a cow magnet on the bottom and hopefully the piece would find it. Also a magnetic drain plug is cheap insurance.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Ok @WHX14 I'm going to bite, what's a "cow magnet"

• Haha 1

AMC RULES

WHX??

Oh come on now Ollie ...should be quite popular in your neck of the woods... Its a  very powerful cylinderical magnet that  ranchers and farmers (God bless them for keeping us in Big Macs) force down the throats of cattle that might collect pieces of metal in their fore stomachs. Most typically pieces of barb wire or what not  when they graze. Supposely to keep the cattle or cows to perforating lower bowels by sharp pieces of metal. You  can easily get them at TSC or any feed store. They double nicely as transmission or hydraulic metal  pickups of metal without disturbing the case however the cases have to come aprart to clean metal shavings. You can get oil filter wraps to do thi too if you have a pressure fed oiling. 

• Like 1

WHX??

yup... Craig never was a really brite one :ychain: but a good link :lol:

Edited by WHX14

moe1965

If you know someone that has a see snake you can look inside and see if you can locate it hopefully it would be on the bottom where the drain hole is and you can fish it out of there.  

stevasaurus

You guys wanna see where the cow bit me??    :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Do we have a choice?  :blink:

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Craig beat me again! .... Ahhhh probably NOT

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Image result for cow bite

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

pyroplegic

Why do I wait till the snow is bearing down on us to do this.

Today I warmed up the horse, added about a cup of diesel to thin out the old gear oil and ran it in 3rd gear on jack stands for about 20 minutes, I found the drain plug under the axle and drained out what was in there. jacked the front way up to get that last bit of oil out, Yup it looked like milk chocolate, I do have have a bad boot, but it's got a covered run-in so it rarely sees rain. may just be the color of diesel & gear oil. Next added about 2-3 cups of more diesel I got chilled & took a brake and here we are. I'll run it again before draining the fuel oil out, and attempt to blindly magnet fish out that dipstick tip.

shifterboot.jpg

trasoil.jpg

Edited by pyroplegic
  • Like 1

wallfish

If you get the measurement of a good dip stick, then measure your broken stick. Cut the plastic tube down exactly the difference between the two sticks you measured. Your broken stick will now sit at the same spot as a good stick does. BUT, you will need to taper the inside of the plastic tube just like the top of it is before you cut it off. I just use a drill bit to do it but can't remember the size. This taper will allow the rubber stopper on the dip stick to sit inside the tube and seal it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pyroplegic

how many quarts of gear oil do you put in

typically? its a 91 310-8

pfrederi

2 qts

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

WOW. Who'd of thought I'd learn something about cows on a  garden tractor forum!  My family has raised cattle forever and I've done my share of cow pen rodeo doctoring.... But I never heard of or knew I needed one of them there Cow Magnets. I guess my dad had 4 sons to keep the barbed wire picked up.  Today we need a round bale string  magnet

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

pyroplegic

Update:

Got a piece out! I'm not sure if there's more, the piece I fished out is squared off unfinished & it's not the hashmarked segment of the end indicating H/L. but collectively the dipstick is now closer to 9-10" 

0329181350b[1].jpg

0329181350c[1].jpg

0329181350[1].jpg

Edited by pyroplegic
  • Excellent 2

stevasaurus

WOW !!!   That is lucky.  How did you do it and how long did it take.  Curious.  :occasion-xmas:

pyroplegic

magnet stick blindly fiishhing for about 10 minutes while doing an oil change

Edited by pyroplegic
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2