steelman

Bent trailer axel

steelman

My "Horse Hauler" is a single axel trailer with 3500# axel. I noticed recently that the tires are wearing bad on the inner half of the tread leading me to believe that I have a bent axel, perhaps from hauling firewood last fall. Does anyone have any experience with correcting the issue or should I be shopping for a new axel? 

• Like 1

Sparky
14 minutes ago, steelman said:

My "Horse Hauler" is a single axel trailer with 3500# axel. I noticed recently that the tires are wearing bad on the inner half of the tread leading me to believe that I have a bent axel, perhaps from hauling firewood last fall. Does anyone have any experience with correcting the issue or should I be shopping for a new axel? 

Never heard of an axle being straightened. One of the axles on my fathers travel trailer bent for reasons unknown and the RV repair place replaced it. Straightening was never even offered as an option.  

953 nut

Back in the day when front axles on cars and trucks were "straight" the camber was adjusted by bending the axle by chaining it down to the alignment machine and jacking it to the desired angle. Don.t know if a shop these days would do that because of liability concerns.

• Like 1

squonk

Could be just a bent spindle. Depends on what kind of axle the trailer uses.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_trailer

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Spindles.aspx

Edited by squonk

Marv

Don't know the answer for straightening. I have seen the problem. My son inlaw has a trailer the same way. I think the main axle is bent because both tires wear like that. I am sure this trailer was overloaded before.

Marv

stevasaurus

You need to take it to a good trailer/RV place that does this kind of work.  If nothing else, you want to be sure that the trailer is safe on the road.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3

Sarge

It just takes a good straight edge to check the main tube, some are pre-curved to handle loading flex, but it's the opposite direction - sort of a frown when unloaded. If the main tube is curved like a slight smile, it's been seriously overloaded. There are several types of axles, as I pointed out some have a stress curve in them,  others are heavier wall straight tubing. You'll need to check what you have first, should have a tag on it.

There are several things to measure and get right for a replacement. One, wheel bolt pattern. Leaf spring or torsion? Torsion axles can be a real hassle to figure out how much original drop or rise was stock once they are worn from heavy loads. Either way,  you need the centerline width of the frame mounts for either torsion or leaf springs. Springs are easier,  just measure the center pin distance between the pins. You'll need to check what the wheel mount width is on the stock axle as well from outside to outside. Then it's onto brake or non-brake and so on...

If that axle is bent, start inspecting the frame and welded joints closely. A lot of utility trailers are built really cheaply with mass imported steel and welded by folks that are not certified nor experienced. Some of these builders give new hires a few lessons with a mig gun and call them "welders", not a good thing...

I had to grind out nearly half the welds on my US Cargo utility,  looked like a complete newbie did half the joints in it. I could literally see how one guy welded the front and someone else did the back half, it was that bad. One bead popped off with the chipping hammer....ugh

Sarge

Edited by Sarge
dumb tablet spell ceck