mikeeyre74

ID? Or is it home made? Curious parts...

CasualObserver

I wonder if it's the result of any of dozens of old farm magazine or Popular Mechanics crude instructions for building your own GT. Remarkable specimen for sure... If I was anywhere near there I'd be seriously considering finding someone to make the offer to. 

@tractorchick may find this one interesting if she stops in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
21 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

old farm magazine or Popular Mechanics crude instructions for building your own GT.

Gotta love these, but hard to beleve they expected the average reader to be able to build one.

http://www.vintageprojects.com/tractors/midget-Tractor-plans.pdf

http://www.vintageprojects.com/tractors/midget-tractor2-plans.pdf

http://www.vintageprojects.com/tractors/midget-tractor3-plans.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wallfish
35 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

If I was anywhere near there I'd be seriously considering finding someone to make the offer to.

Kind of near me and was thinking the same thing but just don't have the time, space or energy for another project.

10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Gotta love these, but hard to beleve they expected the average reader to be able to build one.

Totally agree. But maybe it's like watching all the build stuff on here or TV. It's the dream of doing it too that keeps us watching (or as it was, reading back then)

• Like 2

WHNJ701
On 3/18/2018 at 3:10 PM, doc724 said:

Set up reminds me of an old Panzer I saw a couple of years ago

definitely not a panzer, but it's one cool home built, here is frame off one of my panzers

20161006_130927.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Totally agree. But maybe it's like watching all the build stuff on here or TV. It's the dream of doing it too that keeps us watching (or as it was, reading back then)

Absolutely agreed. 

I enjoy working on things and researching in every different way. 

Love to see the end result finished product but sometimes the process to arrive at that point is much more rewarding.

wallfish
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

but sometimes the process to arrive at that point is much more rewarding.

YUP, so even the failures are just as fun.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton
23 hours ago, jabelman said:

definitely not a panzer, but it's one cool home built, here is frame off one of my panzers

20161006_130927.jpg

I own 2 Panzer rear ends but I'm no expert on all the rears they used, but this rear doesn't match the subject of this topic.

DennisThornton

Can anyone recognize what components were used to build this specimen?  I'm satisfied that it's homemade and one of a kind (though I've been wrong...) but what was used to build it?  I'm sure someone here knows!  But I sure don't.

mikeeyre74

I tried googling those casting codes on the rear end, but it didn’t come up with anything useful. I simply have no idea what that gearbox might have come from either. The engine, Google says, probably came from a small sawmill, which these were pretty common in I take it?  The whole plow mechanism and hydraulic pump appears to be from an early jeep CJ2 or thereabouts. That’s all I got!

DennisThornton

Mike, what if you started another thread asking to ID the rear end.  Perhaps another to ID the trans.  I can't believe that no one here knows those parts, just that they haven't seen this thread.

• Like 1

cpete1

Holy Fabricators Batman, That thing is a THING OF BEAUTY, Transmission is definitely truck type stuff with band brake. The plow has parallel arms, angle capacity, hydraulics for gods sake.... wow... (Sorry for "drooling" on the key board guys, I just love this kind of stuff) Mikey, Thank you for the post....

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

The  thing that hits me is rear end front looks like it was almost cast specifically for the seat  support so it might be supposed that the rear end was made for a GT? If so then there should be other tractors out there with this rear end? Unless that surface was for mounting shocks or struts on another vehicle?

imageproxy.jpg

• Confused 1

WHX??
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, CasualObserver said:

I'd be seriously considering finding someone to make the offer to. 

Agreed Jason and John

@mikeeyre74 any problem with me taking your pictures to another GT site for possible ID & info?

Edited by WHX14
  • Excellent 1

mikeeyre74

After asking a friend of mine for a little help, he pointed me towards Toyotas, and after a little poking around on the Internet with some identification guides, I’m pretty darn sure that’s a Toyota Land Cruiser differential.  The place where the seat bracket bolts on, the Toyotas have an angled chunk of metal there that could be drilled and tapped where you could put that bracket and bolt it down. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Thanks for putting holes in my boat Mike but you could be right ....from Wikipedia ...Production of the first generation Land Cruiser began in 1951 (90 units) as Toyota's version of a Jeep-like vehicle

untitled.png

Toyota-Land-Cruiser-3_4-1985-11.jpg

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 1

classiccat

I'm surprised he stopped at 2WD... I guess he didn't have a transfer case lying in the junkpile :)

• Haha 4

mikeeyre74

3 hours ago, WHX14 said:

Agreed Jason and John

@mikeeyre74 any problem with me taking your pictures to another GT site for possible ID & info?

Go right ahead! This puzzle is a good one to solve. The more help the better. 

• Thanks 1

Sarge

I doubt that's any version of the Land Cruiser differential,  they are far heavier being a 9.5" ring gear and also have a separate rear cover. Not any Toyota that I'm aware of and I've worked on and set up a ton of A sin built drive lines.

I'd almost bet it's a Chrysler 8-1/4", judging by the center section and axles. Not to mention,  many of their versions had bolt holes on top for a pinion snubber pad to stop squat when hard launching. I did break a couple of those pads off and had to replace them, $30 back in the day from Chrysler.

Sarge

DennisThornton
7 hours ago, Sarge said:

I doubt that's any version of the Land Cruiser differential,  they are far heavier being a 9.5" ring gear and also have a separate rear cover. Not any Toyota that I'm aware of and I've worked on and set up a ton of A sin built drive lines.

I'd almost bet it's a Chrysler 8-1/4", judging by the center section and axles. Not to mention,  many of their versions had bolt holes on top for a pinion snubber pad to stop squat when hard launching. I did break a couple of those pads off and had to replace them, $30 back in the day from Chrysler.

Sarge

Pretty sure other brands had snubbers too.  

squonk

I thought those snubbers were for Sunday drives with the mother-in law. :auto-swerve:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I thought those snubbers were for Sunday drives with the mother-in law. :auto-swerve:

ouch

squonk

I worked on enough Chrysler products to know it didn't take much to get the rear a saggin! :)

• Haha 1

Sarge

Depends on the MIL, I guess.

The biggest problem was the cruise ship sized luxury cars using the 9-1/4" rear, some weighed well over 3 tons. Tall final ratios resulted in all that torque from their big blocks to wrap those long leaf springs really hard, breaking or just wearing out the snubber. It was very common in the 70's to pull the horsepower killing smog equipment off that choked those big engines to below 200hp. Once you let them breathe, boy, would they wake up and move that ghetto cruiser...despite the gearing.

Not exactly quick off the line, but from 55-130mph could go by a lot quicker than expected.

Sarge

mikeeyre74

For those following along, I got a phone number for this guy and I called him. I am waiting on a call back to discuss some of it when he frees up a bit… He seems like a nice fellow and willing to talk. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, mikeeyre74 said:

For those following along, I got a phone number for this guy and I called him. I am waiting on a call back to discuss some of it when he frees up a bit… He seems like a nice fellow and willing to talk. 

Awesome! 

Looking forward to the write-up!