mikeeyre74

ID? Or is it home made? Curious parts...

ebinmaine

I haven't the foggiest idea what that thing is or who would have made it or any other info but it's fascinating! I'll be following along to see what other folks answers are.....

wallfish

Interesting!

My guess is homemade by looking at the welds and some things look like an after thought but then again most of it is well thought out.

• Like 1

classiccat

That. Is. Awesome!

T-Mo

Busy Bee was an engine manufactured by Gladden Products Corporation.  I don't know much about them, but a small search did produce some hits.  That one, as can be seen on the id plate, is a model AB engine.

As for the tractor itself, I'm thinking homemade.

• Like 1

T-Mo

Ad for a Model 50 engine from Gladden.

Gladden Bee-Line engines.jpg

• Like 4

DennisThornton

Mike, looks like that drive train could handle 200 horse power!  

Belt to the tranny but heavy shaft drive from there on

Parking brake 

Nicely done hydraulic brake system

Hydraulic pump/lift system

heavy duty steering box

Really well thought out but all but certainly homemade.

I can't but there's others here that could recognize the cut down read-end, drive shaft and tranny.  Probably the steering box too.  Could be a Panzer rear end, which I think were cut down Chrysler rears.  I'd go look but they're covered in snow.

Hey!  Maybe it's a prototype that the Ponds put together and just couldn't scrounge up enough junk yard parts to produce a line!imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9b

image.png.8f5a7eaa909c87ef6e5fce4ebeb4b200.pngI lightened the shadows a little bit, but I ran out of resolution to do anymore with it. 

Thanks for taking the time to gather several great photos and sharing!

imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bimageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bimageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9b

Edited by DennisThornton

mikeeyre74

I could go take more pics of particular stuff if anyone was dying to know more about it. I just thought it was hysterical..

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I'd love for someone to id the drive train and steering box.

You took some good shots but more would be better.  Maybe some close-ups of both sides between the engine and trans.  And does the short drive shaft look original and not cut down?  It does to me.  Maybe originally it went to a PTO?

I think how they rolled the hood was clever.

No snow there???

stevasaurus

Mike, I see some numbers on the transmission.  They are usually a casting date, but they may help us narrow down what we are looking for.  Maybe you could see what those are.  You might as well see if there is any markings on the rear end also.  :occasion-xmas:  Thanks

wallfish

That Model AB seems to be an interesting engine. Thought it was a twin cylinder opposed when first looking at the pics of the tractor but the ad T-Mo posted shows it rated at only 3-6 hp, so it must be a horizontal stroke engine since the plug is out the side.

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:             The transmission looks like it came from a Chrysler product.           Home brew for sure,    :text-bravo:   I like it!

DennisThornton

I wouldn't be surprised if it were all out of an old Chrysler/Dodge truck.  But I'd sure like to know.  

Someone here will direct us out of our darkness!

• Thanks 1

doc724

Set up reminds me of an old Panzer I saw a couple of years ago

elcamino/wheelhorse

The question is when are you going to purchase @mikeeyre74. You would end up with a one off tractor to add to your collection.

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

The question is when are you going to purchase @mikeeyre74. You would end up with a one off tractor to add to your collection.

IF I had the $$$ and the opportunity... That is exactly the type of unique rig I'd procure.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

IF I had the $$$ and the opportunity... That is exactly the type of unique rig I'd procure.

I agree but it is too far away from me , and I don't think I could survive the look from she who must be obeyed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

mikeeyre74

Ok, I stopped in to get a few more pictures of the casting numbers and the engine pulley arrangement etc. I tried to see if I could talk to someone to get some history but there was no one around. 

More homemade tractor pics

“C3654S” ??

@DennisThornton, I’m thinking it’s been shortened  by the looks of that rough area there on the left hand side  

This oil can-as-hydro reservoir kills me!

I’m not sure if the engine is free because I can’t disengage the engine from the transmission with that killer spring on there holding tension and I didn’t wanna go poking around on it too much since it ain’t mine. I’ll see if I can get someone to answer the door at a later date. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

953 nut
8 minutes ago, mikeeyre74 said:

oil can-as-hydro reservoir kills me!

That is Too Kool For School!          :text-coolphotos:              Guess that would make it a Rat Rod of sorts.               

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

That is Too Kool For School!          :text-coolphotos:              Guess that would make it a Rat Rod of sorts.               

Definitely among the more awesomer things  I've seen lately! !!!

DennisThornton

Pretty tight in there between the engine and trans.  I was curious about the chain and sprocket before and now I'm still curious...

Does look like the drive shaft was cut.  Make sense that it was.

Still really neat!

Good job Mike!   Thanks for the extra pics!

wallfish
11 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I was curious about the chain and sprocket before and now I'm still curious...

It's a RPM reduction. He used a belt from the engine pulley to a large pulley on a jackshaft, then used small sprocket on that jackshaft with a chain to a larger sprocket on the trans.

wallfish
8 hours ago, mikeeyre74 said:

I can’t disengage the engine from the transmission with that killer spring on there holding tension

He did add some tension on there! Looks like the clutch pedal connects to the side of the trans and clutches it inside the transmission so that tension is going to be constant.

DennisThornton

"It's a RPM reduction" 

Figured that but I couldn't quite make it out.  And through the trans.  I'm thinking it most go pretty slow then.

wallfish

Trans and rear was designed for a car/truck so doubt he wanted to go 55 on that contraption! I'm guessing it still goes pretty quick in high gear for a homemade tractor.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1