Goldann520

312 creeping throttle

Goldann520

Alright @WVHillbilly520H jeff, need you again. I know, what else is new. When I run the 312 at full throttle, it slowly creeps down to about half throttle.  Looks like a rivet holds the throttle lever itself behind the dash to the bracket. It's loose there. Any easy fixes? Thanks Terry doesnt look like any easy way to "peen" the rivet tight enough to hold lever. I'm sure this is a common problem. @ACman @wheelhorseman

Edited by Goldann520

wheelhorseman
12 minutes ago, Goldann520 said:

Alright @WVHillbilly520H jeff, need you again. I know, what else is new. When I run the 312 at full throttle, it slowly creeps down to about half throttle.  Looks like a rivet holds the throttle lever itself behind the dash to the bracket. It's loose there. Any easy fixes? Thanks Terry doesnt look like any easy way to "peen" the rivet tight enough to hold lever. I'm sure this is a common problem. @ACman @wheelhorseman

Simply drill the rivet out and replace with a bolt with 2 nuts on it

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Goldann520

Seems extremely simple enough. If I go that way, how do I get the throttle handle off and back on without ruining it? The rubber grip.

• Like 1

GREYGHOST

Goldann520, the way I tightened mine was by inserting a bolt&fender washer through one side. Then another fender washer & a lock nut. I tightened until I had the tension that I wanted. If I ever need to stiffen on loosen in the future. It will only require tightening of loosening the bolt & nut. The tip just pulls off.

Edited by GREYGHOST
  • Like 5

Goldann520

Thanks for the info @GREYGHOST and @wheelhorseman didn't want to pull the bracket out if poss. But sounds un avoidable. 

ericj

try squeezing the rivet with a pair of vise grips before you drill it. that worked for me in the past

eric j 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH
6 hours ago, ericj said:

try squeezing the rivet with a pair of vise grips before you drill it. that worked for me in the past

eric j 

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

As usual lately I'm asleep at the wheel once more but all the above trying the vise grip method first maybe even a couple times just be careful around the battery/fuse box before removing and drilling/bolting my :twocents-02cents:, Jeff.

608KEB

I used I think a #24 bolt. The end of the bolt could be tightened with a Allen wrench. I doubled nutted the other end. I put it through the rivet hole. A lock nut is good too. Use a some blue thread lock also.

Edited by 608KEB

Goldann520

Ok, another closed case.  Thank you all! The visegrips worked perfect. @SylvanLakeWH, @WVHillbilly520H. @ericj Great ideas on the bolts too. @608KEB, @GREYGHOST. Man I'm slipping! Normally would figure this out on my own easily,  but trust you guys experience over my wh experience.  Be back soon I'm sure. Thanks Terry @Horse Newbie I'm in the market for a tiller again. Lol

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, Goldann520 said:

Ok, another closed case.  Thank you all! The visegrips worked perfect. Thanks Terry ,I'm in the market for a tiller again. Lol

Good deal, I'm sure you wouldn't want to come this far but I have decent tiller I might be talked out minute the rear axle bracket.

IMAG3046.jpg

IMAG3049.jpg

Goldann520

Ya your A long way from charlotte. Lol@WVHillbilly520H but you never know where my travels will take me. I run Roanoke to Atlanta,  and Raleigh to Bristol for stuff and that's about it, the ol 92 Chevy truck bout her limit. Thanks again 

cleat
22 hours ago, Goldann520 said:

Seems extremely simple enough. If I go that way, how do I get the throttle handle off and back on without ruining it? The rubber grip.

A claw hammer and a block of wood works well.

At least that is how I remove the 'T' handles on my 520's

GREYGHOST

P_20180413_190848.jpg

P_20180413_190900.jpg

P_20180413_191143.jpg

GREYGHOST

Just picked this up yesterday. PO, didn't know anything about PM. This season my plans with this boy is to bust up the soil after I've plowed it. I know, the tines are shot and I'm looking for replacements. So far it looks like ill be doing some weld repair. I'm sure the axle seals are shot. Took me quite a while to cut off ALL the garbage that was twisted as tire as a rope around both shafts. Ill have to keep an eye on the fluid since I'm expecting it to run out as soon as I refill it.

WVHillbilly520H
9 hours ago, GREYGHOST said:

Just picked this up yesterday. PO, didn't know anything about PM. This season my plans with this boy is to bust up the soil after I've plowed it. I know, the tines are shot and I'm looking for replacements. So far it looks like ill be doing some weld repair. I'm sure the axle seals are shot. Took me quite a while to cut off ALL the garbage that was twisted as tire as a rope around both shafts. Ill have to keep an eye on the fluid since I'm expecting it to run out as soon as I refill it.

That gear oil stays in there a bit longer than you think even with leaking seals but yes keep an eye on the level, yep those times are rather worn and replacements aren't cheap.