hunterguy92

Picking up a C120!

hunterguy92

Tomorrow morning I’m taking off to pick up a C-120 8 Speed. It will be my first wheel horse of my adult life, so is there anything I should look for as a total deal breaker?

I’m mechanically inclined and have bought and sold many things that go vroom, but I’m more concerned with parts availability and getting into something that can’t be fixed without scouring eBay or picking up a parts tractor.

What is your go-to Wheel Horse inspection protocol?

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

roadapples

C120 8 speed nearly bulletproof...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

KC9KAS

@hunterguy92 1st off, :WRS:!

If you are "mechanically inclined" you are fine. Just make sure the engine sounds good for the $$ the seller is asking. The Kohler engines are very good engines, AND are easily rebuilt with readily available parts. Watch for the hub set screw NOT being tight and the hub not being tight on the axle. Some folks don't keep an out for this type of (possible) problem. You will be able to see right away if this machine has been well cared for.

Red Square, EBay, Craigslist and other marketplace sales are good sources for parts for the tractor itself, and of course the "Big Show" in June!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

first check rear end trans oil, ( if any ) dip stick under seat near gas tank. Also look at the cracked shifter boot ,that you will need to replace, 6 $ eBay .  look at any possible wiring issues, fraying or not operating. battery start  ok? tires dry rot ? these are a very stout tractor . but more often than not suffer from basic neglect , ex , never greased, oil change ? what's that ? seat cracked and split. you have to realize that you will have to replace things. but if its obviously solid, and starts , sounds good  steers well ,pto spins up, I probably would go with it. the faded paint the neglect can be recovered, just go at it ,one area at a time, worst first. been there ,  Pete

PS, use aft fluid to flush out that rear end, drive it around your yard, to loosen up the crud.

• Excellent 2

Spareparts

I went to Feldmans Farm Supply and got some 7/16" X 1 1/2" fine threaded bolts, threaded the full length and threaded them thru the hub from the back side 

with some Red Loctite, then just used some 7/16" lug nuts. Sure made putting the wheels back on easier.

• Like 2

JimmyJam

:text-welcomeconfetti: TO :rs:

C120 was on my wish list. Awesome machine. Plenty of parts out there, whether it be here in "Classified" , or EBay or craigslist, boneyard ...check with AtoZ Tractors in "classified" Vendor list.. Even better yet, find a "PARTS" tractor! 

• Like 1

Tankman
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:23 PM, Spareparts said:

I went to Feldmans Farm Supply and got some 7/16" X 1 1/2" fine threaded bolts, threaded the full length and threaded them thru the hub from the back side 

with some Red Loctite, then just used some 7/16" lug nuts. Sure made putting the wheels back on easier.

Always one of my first upgrades.

I use Loctite Blue, no need for heat if you need to take / replace a bolt. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Lug_Nuts_Install.thumb.JPG.874f6eb6b0f1543577ec20a90e0b8b6b.JPG

• Like 5