Jack45

Need Help

Jack45

I had a barn fire last weekend and lost my wheel horses.  A 1960 Suburban and a 702 that I have shown on here before. I think I can salvage some parts off them like the frame and rims but they are mostly toast. The suburban got more use on my farm than any other machine I owned.  Insurance will cover them at their replacement value. I am going to try and replace them too.  I need to find replacements though and give the insurance company a value on them.  They weren't perfect but they were both serviceable. They were a paint job away from being really nice. I also lost a trailer (may be able to save running gear), and I am not sure how my one-bottom plow, chisel plow or circular plow are going to be now. The one-bottom looks okay but I need to get some paint on it to save it from rusting. I also had 2 extra back tires with good tread for each tractor.  I think I can save the rims maybe.

Any help, advice or connections to replacements would be appreciated.

jack45

dorfsrule@yahoo.com

• Sad 3

953 nut
13 minutes ago, Jack45 said:

Insurance will cover them at their replacement value. I am going to try and replace them too.  I need to find replacements though and give the insurance company a value on them.

Sorry to hear of the fire.

Easy thing to do is go to Ebay and see what "Completed Sales" have been on vintage :wh:. If it is an actual sale they will accept that as a comparable sale. You may not be able to find the exact model but they won't know the difference.

• Like 3

Jerry77
36 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

"Completed Sales"

Where is the button for that??

The Gman
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Sorry to hear of the fire.

:text-yeahthat:  :text-imsorry:

Parts for a 60 suburban are hard enough to find on a good day. Been looking for fenders for a while now

The sum of the parts to buy one by one can fetch well north of $500.

• Like 1

JPWH

Sorry to hear of your loss. Check with A-Z Tractors. He may be able to provide you with an estimate.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

JPWH
35 minutes ago, The Gman said:

:text-yeahthat:  :text-imsorry:

Parts for a 60 suburban are hard enough to find on a good day. Been looking for fenders for a while now

The sum of the parts to buy one by one can fetch well north of $500.

@G-man what do the fenders you are looking for look like?

The Gman

Have every thing needed but the fenders. Trans is rebuilt and ready for paint. Wasn't gonna start the restore till I found fenders.

a35851.jpg

JPWH

I have some fenders like what is on an 854.

The Gman

Maybe I should expand my search.

I don't mind doing fab work to make them fit if needed. :)

Was going to post on the classifieds if I didn't have any luck.

ztnoo
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Easy thing to do is go to Ebay

Actually the best place to look is in "Sold Listings" found in the same menu on the left side of the eBay page, just below "Completed Listings".

These are real world sales.

Do a search for specific models first, then check Sold Listings from that search.

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Sorry to hear about your loss...hope nobody got hurt.

I would also look at the closed classifieds here on RS...at least give you an idea of value range perhaps...

• Like 2

Jack45

Thanks everybody!  I will take the advice.  We lost most of our animals but no human losses thankfully. 

953 nut
On 3/16/2018 at 9:53 PM, ztnoo said:

Actually the best place to look is in "Sold Listings" found in the same menu on the left side of the eBay page, just below "Completed Listings".

These are real world sales.

Do a search for specific models first, then check Sold Listings from that search.

That is the link I provided.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=wheel horse tractor&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Jerry77
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

That is the link I provided.

Thanks Richard....I finally got  it....I only have half a brain on a good day.....:)

• Haha 1

ztnoo

"Completed Listings" mean the listing has ended and run its chosen time for the listing. Not everything that is "Completed" has been sold.....it just means the listing has run its course.

"Sold Listings" are actual sale transactions, i.e. items that successfully sold.

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, ztnoo said:

"Completed Listings" mean the listing has ended and run its chosen time for the listing. Not everything that is "Completed" has been sold.....it just means the listing has run its course.

"Sold Listings" are actual sale transactions, i.e. items that successfully sold.

I prefer to use completed because it offers more listings and gives you a gauge of how much people are willing to pay vs. asking price. If there was a greater volume of sales in the specific category he is looking for sales would be the way to go.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sorry to hear about that. At least your insured.

Glenn

• Like 1

tims tractors

Sorry to hear about your loss. If you decide to sell a few parts, I've been looking for the choke an throttle levers an cables a very long time. Tim

• Like 1

Jack45

Insurance ended up paying out $1000 each for my two tractors and their attachments. Not a great sum but I don't think I could have expected much more.  Now I need to find a replacement.  My suburban did a lot of work.  It plowed my field every spring and hauled a four-wheel trailer around (about 4 by 7) when cleaning out the barns.  It also hauled firewood out of the woods. I am missing it already as Spring arrives and I need to get things moved. I am looking at a C160 right now that the guy wants $950 for.  It has the plow and mower with it. Seems a bit high but he has done a lot of work to it and it would be usable right away. I am not certain I want an automatic though. Auto would make it easier for my wife and kids to drive.  I really hate hearing grinding gears. :) Anyone have experience plowing with a C160? Also, how hard is it to add a lift cable to a rear hitch on a C160? He has the sleeve hitch attachment that I would need for my plow and chisel plow. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

C160.JPG.11b14cff1802e78137104b2d0c42bfae.JPG

Jack45

Just realized this was for sale in classifieds. :) SO what do people think of adding a raise cable to rear hitch on this model so I can raise and lower my plow?

RandyLittrell

I think the C-160 is one of the best made. It does sound a little high, but if I had the cash, it would be in my garage! 

Randy

WHX??

Just saw this thread and sorry to hear about your barn... heck of a way to lose yours horses.:( 

. Whereabouts are you in WI Jack? That looks like a 160 I was eyeballing in Baraboo. I know where there are some other 160s in the Rapids area  but they are 8 speeds which would actually be better for field work Burt yes that Missus and kids can run a hydro easier.  You should be able to setup a 160 for rear lift easy enough. A cable to the rock shaft might be a simple as that. I know a guy who knows a guy and they are all members here. :)

Sounds like you were working that little Suburban! I've  got a 401 here that needs a new good home but probably wouldn't take the punishment you were dealing out!  Also is gonna need some love so don't know if you would be interested in it or not.