rwmastel

Snow thrower and blade questions for 314-8

rwmastel

This snow thrower (pic) and a WH push blade are for sale in my local area and I have a Toro/WH 314-8 I'd like to use them with.  I looked in the manual section of this site and found something for a 1980's 06-42ST04.  Manual doesn't say what tractor models it fits.  Is there a implements/attachments cross reference to tractor models?

CAM04977.jpg

Edited by rwmastel

953 nut

This list will tell you what fits what.

WH Interchange 1955-2000.pdf

rwmastel

Another two pics.

I have the manuals for the exploded parts views printed out.  Nice to see this has a lift tube and belt included.  Looks like the chute rotation cable might even be intact.

I've never had one of these before.  Only had my 314 for just over a year, and it's my first riding mower/tractor ever.  So, if any one has any suggestions on how I evaluate this with regards to it all being there and it being functional, let me know!

Thanks!

00J0J_8S4CJatO3Q5_1200x900.jpg

00b0b_1EJ8mbWPxou_1200x900.jpg

Edited by rwmastel

rwmastel

Thanks, 953 Nut (Richard).

If I search for my tractor, it says single stage 79360 or dual stage 79361.  (It also says dozer blade 79350)

If I search for the 42ST04, it says it will fit a 314-8 from 1985.  There are two notes:
Model supersedes to:  06-42ST05

Current model available:  06-42ST07 / 79360

So, from that "current model" note, I assume it should work.  Right??

And regarding your signature, yes I am enjoying my freedom.  Thank you and all veterans!  My dad was in the Navy during Korean War.  My nephew served in Iraq and Afghanistan and he's making the Army his career.

Edited by rwmastel
  • Thanks 1

rwmastel

Oh, and what is the 32013 on the ID tag?  The serial number?

WHX??

Yes that is the S/N. this blower will fit just about any late model tractor. You will need

the front attach bracket which you already have if you have a deck.

46 minutes ago, rwmastel said:

how I evaluate

Check all the bearings and chain. These are easily replaced the and plenty of parts around for. Big thing is the auger....check  for straightness and carefully check the teeth on the auger driven sprocket for a hooked or very pointed appearance. Check the drive sprocket for the same but not as big a deal as hat can be replaced....auger not so much so.

rwmastel

Thanks WHX14.  I had several dirt bikes in my youth, so I remember what bad sprockets look like!  I'll look for bearing issues.  Having the exploded parts view really helps when learning how one of these things works and is put together.

Ed Kennell

That blower appears to be in excellent condition with everything you need including the lift rod, flag,  drive belt and properly installed side wings.  There is a lift assist spring available if you find the blower is hard to lift.    Make sure you get the lift flag pin in the correct hole in the rock shaft lever as shown on the assembly drawing.

And both idler/tension pulleys go on the bottom loop of the belt as they are now on the picture.

If the auger is in as good a condition as the paint and decals, you have a slightly used blower.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

peter lena

using my 36/42 single stage bower 3 years now and I find that (  lubriplate chain and cable spray ) is the absolute saving lube to use on the chain /auger drive. I spray it down before  using blower and after using it, you can tell the ease of operation that this lube brings to gear and chain. you can also pick up a .https://www.google.com/search?q=serrated+nut&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl--aIwfbZAhUPna0KHVbzBYMQsAQILQ&biw=1024&bih=633. serrated nut to trap your chain adjustment , they will not slip. also added swivel wheels to back side of blower, much more steerable and easier to drive. Kevlar belt, lube anything related to belt tension and control , chute direction. pete 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

(  lubriplate chain and cable spray )              added swivel wheels to back side of blower, much more steerable and easier to drive.                          Kevlar belt,

Yep, Lubriplate products and Kevlar belts are the BOMB.           Got any pics of the swivel wheels?        :wwp:

rwmastel

So, I have to update my signature now!  On Monday I bought the snow thrower, plow blade, and some generic (black paint) knife aerator for $260.  That includes putting them in his truck and driving them back to my house for drop off.  Local sale, he was maybe 5 miles away.  A mix of rain/snow was forecasted for yesterday and today, so we agreed not to wait on my brother's truck and use his before the weather rolled in.  We put them in my garage, and space is tight, but I'll take pics as best I can then share them.  Thanks for the help, everybody!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rwmastel
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, peter lena said:

using my 36/42 single stage bower 3 years now

Pete,

What does 36/42 mean?  36" auger, 42" opening?

rwmastel
8 hours ago, rwmastel said:

... and some generic (black paint) knife aerator ...

Found a label on it tonight, it's a model 45-02301 which is an AgriFab 40" spike aerator.

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, rwmastel said:

Pete,

What does 36/42 mean?  36" auger, 42" opening?

Yes sir.

peter lena

the actual width of the single stage snow blower  is 36" , but when you bolt on the " edge wings  " , straight edge forward, the width increases to  " 42 " . that also increases the snow intake and helps the feed of the blower. (  lubriplate chain and cable spray ) is best for the auger chain and gear drive , I never let that dry out. spray it before use and after use, also spray down for storage. go after any metal contact movement points with lube, what a concept, for easy usage. like chute rotator rod, and chute base, also the double pulley belt drive frame, so spring tension is smooth and solid. a little detailing on this unit makes it really work, my experience, pete

Ed Kennell

:wwp:    of those swivel wheels  Pete. @peter lena

peter lena

hello ed, have the pictures, having a problem getting them to this page.  any ideas would help out , pete

IMG_0192.JPG.2253c6a3b546e8475c0c2d7b46695b90.JPGIMG_0193.JPG.3fd27c32b7a486e3918968b05aa66533.JPG5ad4cf1b6aa99_IMG_0194(1).JPG.b009984d630314f42e3b3d792dd981b0.JPG

Edited by peter lena
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

retired1946@att.net    hi ed, found a way on pictures. found a set of gravely snow blower swivel wheels, I think 1982, welded 4 bolt studs to back of blower housing, 2 on each side. then cut some 1/4" steel plate for backing mount, that way the plate squared off against the studs and lower angle brackets bolted to lower blower frame rail, very solid , no flexing. Only issue was grinding vertical slots for swivel adjustments. I have to pick up blower to back up, but that's the only penalty . blower just cruises from lawn to paved driveway. I wanted to stay inside of the forward " wing " width for ease of swivel wheel. on blower chute, I changed over to 1/4" electrical lugs to replace the screw type cable clamps, drill out the pop rivet , bolt on the lugs, simple and bombproof, also use 100lb nylon weed cutting line, very smooth and no binding, use silicone grease. Kevlar belt. as usual ,I find tweaking the original  design with a number of  "  what if " ideas corrects a problem and makes for very easy use. also bolted electrical lug to battery post, simple go to power site. pete

Ed Kennell

:text-thankyoublue:   for the photos and the write up.    I have fixed wheels on my blower and they work great to keep the auger up out of the stones on my gravel road.   The problem is ,when  the blower  is down, it steers the tractor.    Those swivel wheels would solve that problem.