mikeeyre74

Retrofit hydraulics to C120 question?

mikeeyre74

I have a 1976-77 c120 auto that doesn’t have hydraulic lift. Sundstrand transmission. I also have a c125 parts tractor that has an Eaton tranny that was equipped with a hydro lift and all the associated parts. The c120 just got all rebuilt, so it’s in much better shape than the 125, which is beaten.

My question is:  can I use the hydraulic ram and valve for the hand control from the 125 on the 120? I know I’m going to need something swapped out in the sunstrand transmission to make the hydraulics plug in to/work, but is this idea feasible?  I originally picked up the 125 as a parts tractor because of the Eaton transmission that it had, in case I couldn’t get the Sundstrand back together again, but I think I have it put together well enough now to get the job done, but I do like the hydraulic option. I’ll swap it over if I have to, but.... thoughts?

gwest_ca

This file may shed some light on the subject. Wonder if the hose fittings and hose lengths are the same? Click on the picture.

Garry

• Excellent 1

daveoman1966

I also hae a '76 C-160 with hydr lift...love it.  You can add the lift package and here is the kit, NLA from wheelhorse.  I can provide red-circled items the cone ,spring, and valve (# 2, 3, & 25)  for the hyd pump and the control valve.  You need to find # 1 as it replaces the manual lift handle. 

I am not sure if the RAM from the C-125 is long enough to accommodate the lift mechanism hardware  of the C-160 though.  You would need cyl A or B in this pic....others MAY be too short.

HYD KIT 8-4113a.jpg

LIFT PORT (2).jpg

cyl (3).jpg

lift syst-15 - Copy.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2

Sarge

I do believe the earlier cylinders used on Sundstrand-equipped C series were the longer ones, same as the pre-'73 tractors. I remember trying to use a newer cylinder on the old 1277 and it was too short in it's stroke, replaced it with an early C cylinder as it was the same length as my welded original that blew the stem seals. Piston rod was scored badly, so no weld/repair on that one without machining a new shaft completely.

Excellent pics/description of those parts Dave - that should be in a book somewhere as it's hard to find side by side descriptions with dimensions on these parts.

Sarge