mikeeyre74

520h no charge question

mikeeyre74

My 520 isn’t charging. I have 12.6 V at the battery, and I have checked all the fuses and cleaned terminals.  I suspect it is the voltage regulator.  I’m getting 2.9 V at the B plus terminal at idle, and up to about 7 V at full throttle.  My question is, when the engine is off with the key switch on, shouldn’t I get battery voltage to the B+ terminal? Right now, I get nothing until it’s running. 

cleat

Yep, check all connections.

That is precisely the reason to go straight from the regulator to the battery cable at the starter solenoid with a 30A inline fuse.

9 pin can't handle that kind of current. Also check the 30A fuse.

Cleat

• Like 1

mikeeyre74

The 9 pin was removed by the PO and it was all shucked in favor of bullet connectors and shrink wrap. I've got batt voltage at the fuse on both sides..so that should be good? 

Ed Kennell

The VR must be grounded.  Loosen and retighten the VR mounting bolt      Replace the VR...$20 on line.

Edited by Ed Kennell

953 nut
9 hours ago, mikeeyre74 said:

when the engine is off with the key switch on, shouldn’t I get battery voltage to the B+ terminal? Right now, I get nothing until it’s running.

Clean and tighten the voltage regulator mounting point and all other connections including grounds. The voltage at the B+ terminal with the engine off and key on should be full battery voltage, if it is not there are bad connections in the system. The two wires coming from the engine should show 36 volts AC between them with the engine running at near WOT.