tntatro

C160 Rims on 1973 No Name Hubs

tntatro

I recently put different rims and tires on my 1973 no name and found that the center on the hubs are smaller than the center on the rims. The original tires were 20 x 10 - 10 and I replaced them with rims from a C160 and put 23 x 8.5 - 12 lug tires on. I first tried chains on the tires but the plow would rub on the chains so I switched the rims out and put on the lug tires.

My question is, is this okay or will it likely cause problems. The lug nuts seemed to all go on normal except I had to hold the wheel up to start the first one.

20180311_132925[1].jpg

RandyLittrell

It won't hurt a thing, the lug nuts do all the work! 

Show us some pics of the whole tractor, we love pics!!

Randy

• Like 5

tntatro

Here are some pictures. One picture is when I first got it. It has different rear tires and the seat is just sitting on the wheel well. A friend of mine bought it around six years ago and was going to restore it but never did. He practically gave it to me. It starts and runs okay but smokes. It seems to have plenty of power, it will pull a wheelie if I start off in third gear I found out by mistake.

It was sitting all that time and started fairly easily with a new battery. I had to flatten the cylinder head and put on a new gasket.

20171126_104032[1].jpg

20180315_183249[1].jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

littleredrider

I’d be interested in the old rims if yah wanna get rid of em....🤔

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

It won't hurt a thing, the lug nuts do all the work! 

Show us some pics of the whole tractor, we love pics!!

Randy

I agree with Randy that you should be fine even with the hub center being smaller.

I've done this same thing on much heavier Vehicles like 8 lug trucks.

The only thing I would add is to be sure that the rim is centered properly on the bolt circle.

You could do that by supporting the rear axle off the ground just a tiny bit and backing off all five lug nuts about a quarter-turn, then tighten up the two opposite, then the rest, just to make sure that they are seated properly and centered properly to one another.

• Like 1

tntatro
15 hours ago, littleredrider said:

I’d be interested in the old rims if yah wanna get rid of em....🤔

I think I'll keep them, I may want to switch them back for mowing, or buy another Wheel Horse in the future.

tntatro
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

You could do that by supporting the rear axle off the ground just a tiny bit and backing off all five lug nuts about a quarter-turn, then tighten up the two opposite, then the rest, just to make sure that they are seated properly and centered properly to one another.

I was a little concerned about the lug nuts centering. I didn't want to crush the rims. I ended up tightening them some of the way and inspecting how it looked. I started them all with the rear jacked up and alternated tightening each lug nut. I think it's okay.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, tntatro said:

or buy another Wheel Horse in the future.

Yes. ....

They are known to be herd animals. 

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
9 hours ago, tntatro said:

I was a little concerned about the lug nuts centering. I didn't want to crush the rims. I ended up tightening them some of the way and inspecting how it looked. I started them all with the rear jacked up and alternated tightening each lug nut. I think it's okay.

You won't crush the rims, they are designed to work that way. You can even turn the rims around the other way for a different offset. The rims on basically all garden tractors are made by companies that build them for cars. The holes are tapered and so are your lugnuts. You can even put the proper size bolts in from the backside on the hub, and then use automotive lug nuts. 

Randy

• Like 1