Jake0030

Please help on mowing deck specifications for 312-8

Jake0030

Hi everyone. New to wheel horses and could use some help figuring out what will and won't work attachment wise. Looking for a 48" mowing deck for 312-8. Any help knowing model numbers or info of what decks will work and which won't would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ed Kennell

Any 48" deck that uses the front mule drive would work.     That should include all decks from 1970  till now.      Garry will probably be here soon with actual deck  model numbers.

But the numbers are sometimes missing from the older decks.   The older pre 1970 side drive decks can be used with some minor mods to the  lift mechanism.

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:             The basic answer is that most 36", 42" and 48" decks made after the mid '70s will fit. You will need a front mule drive and a mid mount atach-o-matic as well as a clutch on the engine. I have attached a list that will give you more specific information.

WH Interchange 1955-2000 (1).pdf

This manual will serve as an example,

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

Jake0030

Thanks Guys. I have an 89 312-8.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:wwp:

WVHillbilly520H

Most of the 12 HP and lower versions were fitted with 42" decks not that the 12 HP won't run the 48" but it really depends on the size of mowing area and the type of grass, at times when it rained quite a bit and I couldn't get at it the tall thick moisture laden grass work the 20 HP Onan with my 48" deck, just a heads up on something to think about, Jeff.

• Like 4

Jake0030

Thanks. It's in the garage at the moment (my dark garage, not a repair shop) and I didn't save the Craigslist Ad photo, but will take photos in the near future. After numerous problems with a newer Snapper, seeing a repair shop full of brand new Husqvarnas awaiting repairs and watching my neighbor's brand new Craftsman sidelined, I swore I would never buy a garden tractor again. Then  I did a little research on Wheel Horse garden tractors and was quite impressed. After using the one I bought, I am a Wheel horse fan for life. My little beast plows snow great and I'm sure it will mow my grass fine too. Yah Wheel Horse!!!

Edited by Jake0030
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

midpack

the hard part is stopping at just one...  ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

BOB ELLISON

Welcome to another Michigander. 

And yes the Wheelhorse is in my opinion the best all around tractor you can buy.

You can get all the info here on RedSquare to keep it in tiptop shape.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse
3 hours ago, midpack said:

the hard part is stopping at just one...  ;) 

Wheel Horse ownership is addictive , you will find it is just easier to have one set up for every chore. By the way :text-welcomeconfetti::wh: are like peanuts you can't stop at one. 

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

Here are the 48" decks in the order they were produced.

DNA

75-48MS01 replaces RL-486, 5-1481, 5-1482, 5-1483, 5-1200, 5-1201, 5-1202, 5-1210, 5-1211, 65-48MS01, 65-48MS02 (These decks all used blades with a 5/8" x 3/4" center hole and no longer available)

75-48MS01 replaced by (The following decks use blades with a 3/4" center hole) 75-48MS02, 85-48MS01, 95-48MS00, 95-48MS01, 05-48MS01, 05-48MS02, 05-48MS03, 05-48MS04, 05-48MS05, 05-48SC01, 15-48SC01, 15-48SC02, 15-48SC03, 78360, 78361

A full list of 1989 312-8 attachments here but does not include a 48" deck. The 14hp and up tractors used the 48" decks. Click on the picture.

The 48" deck sold in 1989 was model 15-48SC01

Garry

• Like 2

Jake0030

Thanks for the welcome and all the info. Looking for a 48" deck because I've been absolutely spoiled by using a woods L306 6' deck to mow my front 3 acres and mow and keep a nice path running through my back 10. Alas the WD has some serious mechanical issues I can't afford to fix at the moment and I may be selling her off rather than trying to fix her. Based on how mightily the 312-8 pushed snow for me, I don't think I will I have any issues with a 48" deck. Also, the only lush grass I have is the area directly above my septic drainage field.:rolleyes:  I love my little beast as I call her. What really sold me on a Wheel Horse, other than coming to the dreaded realization that I was going to have to buy a garden tractor, is that I literally could not find a single negative comment about them. Also, I have been warned that a Wheel Horse owner who owns only one is a rare creature indeed.:text-thankyouyellow:

• Like 2

Sarge

Try a C-160 once - you'll never want another 300 series again, it's night and day. Not to mention, those early models up until the late '70s were super simple to work on and some of the most rugged machines ever made for their size and price range. There's a reason these things have lasted 50+yrs - pretty easy to see why once you operate one .

Sarge

• Like 1

Forest Road

Your 312 will run a 48 but it’s really going to struggle. 42” would be fine especially in the deeper stuff. Step up to a c-160 and the grass will really fly. 

Welcome to the WH world! 

Edited by Forest Road
  • Like 2

Jake0030

Well, the consensus seems to be 42" not 48" for the 312-8. I guess I am going to take the advice and go with a 42". Thanks to everyone.

• Like 2

Lee1977

The 48" is a better deck, it has a 1/8" reinforcing across the top of the deck where all the spindles mount. The 42" deck sometimes has cracking  at the spindle mounts.

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

The 48" is a better deck, it has a 1/8" reinforcing across the top of the deck where all the spindles mount. The 42" deck sometimes has cracking  at the spindle mounts.

If you are running a higher HP unit the 48" is fine, 12 HP is a bit light for a 48".

• Like 1

Racinbob

The interchangeability of Wheel Horse attachments amazes most non :wh: folks. Especially now that I got my 76 back and I put the 48" deck that I used on it for many years on my 2005 Classic. I put the 42" that was on the Classic on the 76. I'm one to say that 12hp is fine with a 48" My Dad ran one on a Raider 12 for over 3 decades. I purchased a GT1100 (Briggs 11hp) with no attachments new and had a spare 48" deck that I put on it. No issues. :)

• Like 3

Forest Road
5 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Later model 48” decks had the reinforced topside. My 1994 42” RD is going strong without any cracks or rust. 

• Like 2

Jake0030

Picks. I swore I would never buy a garden tractor again, but I have fallen in love with the Wheel Horse. True to what I have heard, It took me all of 15 minutes to remove chains, wheel weights and snow plow. If we get anymore snow here in West Michigan, it won't be enough to require plowing, so thought I would get her ready for spring. Going to try to pick up a mowing deck before 2nd rotator cuff surgery in a couple of weeks. Picking up a mule drive tomorrow, not sure if I need another atach o matic for the under belly or not? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

IMG_1483.JPG

Edited by Jake0030

Jake0030

Battle damage from being a newb and not pinning or bolting the back clamps to the plow. I'll get her fixed up.

IMG_1482.JPG

• Like 1

Jake0030

Front and Engine Kohler 12 magnum :

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Jake0030 said:

, not sure if I need another atach o matic for the under belly or not? Any help would be appreciated.

No, you don't need another attach-a-matic . The deck will mount to the mid and the mule drive to the front. You will need the deck lift bar.  I don't see one in the pics, unless it is tied up to clear the plow frame.

• Like 1

Jake0030

Here is what I have. Hope this helps. And thanks for the help- Ornage/yellow cord is extension chord hooked up to battery tender.

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

Ed Kennell

You have what you need Jake.   I just couldn't see it  in the pics.

• Like 1