Jake0030

Please help on mowing deck specifications for 312-8

Jake0030

I lifted up the bar if that's what it is, because from the side it made the Wheel Horse look like, well, a horse;)

Thanks Ed :text-thankyouyellow:

Edited by Jake0030
  • Haha 2

953 nut
14 hours ago, Racinbob said:

I'm one to say that 12hp is fine with a 48" My Dad ran one on a Raider 12 for over 3 decades. I purchased a GT1100 (Briggs 11hp) with no attachments new and had a spare 48" deck that I put on it. No issues

The only deck made for the 953 (9.6 HP) is a 48" rotary and if you keep the lawn mowed regularly it will get the job done. Personal preference is a 42" rear discharge, but that is just me.

11 minutes ago, Jake0030 said:

Here is what I have. Hope this helps. And thanks for the help

Glad you got it worked out.

• Like 2

Jake0030

Oh, I'm still plenty confused, but I'm learning. Bit of a time crunch, because if I don't get a deck on before surgery, I will have to depend on someone else to do it and I'm sure you all understand why I would rather do it myself.

Ed Kennell

I did notice the 6" front wheels have been changed to 8".    I made the same change to my 312.....mainly to increase the clearance under the front axle to get more plow lift for stacking snow.

It does change the stance of the tractor and you will have to do some tweaking to get the deck to sit properly.   I have  never had a 48" deck on mine, so I don't know if the larger wheels would create a clearance problem, but it is something to consider when selecting a deck.

IMG_0033.JPG.9a467bbcf6b8acba99165f400c8ee895.JPGIMG_0053.JPG.a3023539644a011c0e9285e6904cdbed.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

Jake0030

I'm going to go with a 42" deck. Do you think it would be easier to switch out to 6 inch wheels or tweak the deck? I'm assuming you mean the deck will not sit level as it would with the  6" wheels it originally came with or is it a clearance issue?

P.S. I am so happy to see the robins, hear the night hawks and even the Sandhill Cranes have returned. I am so done with winter. We will probably get a few flurries into 1st or 2nd week of April here, but good lord I don't even mind being attacked by deer flies, at least not yet. So ready for summer.

Edited by Jake0030

1995 520H+96+97

Deck level is adjustable. Adjustment rod is on the center rear of the deck. Procedure is in the manual for the deck you will be getting.

• Like 1

dcrage

The 37” SD is supppsed to be the only deck to have “clearance” issues with the 8” front wheels. I was under the impression that 8” front wheels were more common on 312s. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I'm not sure when or why  WH switched to the smaller 6" wheels and longer spindles.    May have been a TORO cost saving or deck clearance issue.  My '94 312H had the 6" wheels.

• Like 1

clueless
On 3/30/2018 at 10:48 AM, Ed Kennell said:

I'm not sure when or why  WH switched to the smaller 6" wheels and longer spindles.    May have been a TORO cost saving or deck clearance issue.  My '94 312H had the 6" wheels.

When they came out with the 37" SD deck they had to go to the 6" wheels for clearance. Most of the 308, 310, 312 had the smaller wheels, that way you could decide which deck you wanted. You could get a nice working bagger with the 37" deck, the one hi lift blade was and still is expensive, they also have a tendency to crack around the deck shell and the mounting bolts, especially the right front.  

• Like 1

peter lena

nice rig, someone was loving that tractor, you are very lucky. yes the mule is a simple /quick snap on as is your pick up for the mower deck frame. that paint issue from plow to steering quadrant can easily be fixed with a couple of 1/4" threaded eye bolts, on the lever to secure the squeeze handle rod. take off handle and put rod thru eye bolts bolted to lever, done. another thing, good time to get a ( battery tender ) and eye bolt it to your battery, then tye wrap it to your  + positive battery cable, going down toward ground , now its a simple plug in during winter.  I hope you keep after that rig, like the other owner did, you did good, pete

• Like 1

Jake0030

Thanks pete! She runs beautifully and purrs like a kitten. I am actually getting a really nice 42" side discharge mowing deck from the same seller. I plan to baby this Wheel Horse and take great care of her. I do believe I got a great deal as well price wise. I am very happy with this Wheel horse. I really dreaded getting another garden tractor, but Wheel Horse restored my faith. I also know I will end up owning more than one:wh::)

I was very surprised at the strength and speed of the 312-8. I know this is not the strongest or most popular model, but I have to tell you, based on the performance of the 312-8, I will be a Wheel Horse owner for life. Having sent in the Snapper 4 times and not having it work right and seeing all those brand new Husqvarnas sitting  there in the repair shop waiting to be fixed and after watching my neighbor's really nice Craftsman fail miserably, I don't trust any other brand.  And for the same price as a new garden tractor, I can pick up a nice wheel horse or two with implements and all. Love this Wheel Horse. In addition to not being able to find a single negative comment about Wheel Horse Garden tractors online, I am also discovering the joy of how quickly implements and extras can be put on and switched out. Thanks everyone for the help and advice. :text-thankyouyellow:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

OK Jake,  here's the bad news from a WH owner.  It is clear, you have contracted a severe case of the dreaded WHA disease.    There is no known cure.

• Haha 2