Pullstart

The Author who made me like to read

Pullstart

So, I'm pretty sure I did the lamest book reports ever in school, as a teacher "taught" my class this: "To copy from one source is plagiarism, to copy from two sources is research."  I would find book reports, copy half of one and half of another and hand them in... not even changing font or layout - but making sure to include a bibliography siting my sources.  I was given high grades, though nothing was learned from it.  I hated to read.  Then one day about 3 years back I was helping to clean out a storage unit, most everything was being donated or tossed out and there was a book that caught my eye.  It had an old International pickup on the front and it was labeled "TRUCK - A Love Story" by Michael Perry.  My wife asked why I put it on my dashboard.  I told her I'm gonna read it and she basically laughed my story away.  Well, now it's a challenge!  It took me about 5 or 6 months to get through all 200 and some odd pages, or so.  Within the remainder of that year, I had read almost everything Mike has published!  He even came out with a children's book, that he wrote for his children, one of whom he gained while marrying his wife (the love story in the "Truck" book)  After reading his works, I feel like Mr. Perry could easily be my family member, or a good old friend.   So, with that... I now am a reader.  I have read the entire Little House series to my kids, and received a few new Perry books for Christmas that some day I'll sit down and catch up on.  I've read Truck a few times now, once I made it through half of it in one flight to vacation... a far cry from 5 or 6 months!  If you find any of his books, pick one up and have a laugh.  Don't try to explain it to your wife, she probably won't get it.  But you'll get a kick out of it!

• Like 7

ebinmaine

Awesome story and great idea for a thread !!!!!

I'll write more later. Just wanted to be in on this one to follow. 

I'll start here:

Louis Lamour !!

• Like 1

Sarge

I love to read, always have but pretty much flunked English until my senior year of high school - just didn't like it nor the teacher. Years later, I did learn some things from the guy despite my best efforts to ignore him and it brings a silent laugh inside when I think about it . I can read very quickly and even took typing in school just to learn a skill I thought I could use to make things easier - it led to repairing typewriters later in my first job out of school after the military. These days, due to sight issues it's getting a lot tougher to read - even being on here for extended periods brings on a migraine if I stay too long. I have a whole pile of books I'd love to read and hoping the new glasses help enough to allow that , we'll see.

Great to hear you've found a love for it - there's a lot out there to enrich our lives and it's a good thing to take the time to relax and immerse yourself in a great book, it's a break from our high-paced life that is much needed.

Sarge

• Like 1

pacer
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I'll start here:

Louis Lamour !!

I think? I have read all of Lamour's books (theres so many I probably missed a couple)

Lee Childs (think "Reacher!) and dozens more, I and my wife make a weekly trip to the library and bring back 5-8 books of which we will read 2-3

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, pacer said:

I think? I have read all of Lamour's books (theres so many I probably missed a couple)

I have !!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

There are roughly 130.

I kept a checklist and even found a book NOT on it... Sitka.

Pullstart

Wow that's a lot.  I think Perry mentions Lamour and other authors that inspired him too, I guess I better get started on those!

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Wow that's a lot.  I think Perry mentions Lamour and other authors that inspired him too, I guess I better get started on those!

I'll have to check out the works of this Perry fella some time

• Like 1

Pullstart

He has a band too, I think it's The Flatbeds or something - along with some funny stand up/live stuff too.

• Thanks 1