Sparky

Round one of this Nor’easter is done!

wallfish

We got about 16" yesterday and had a difficult time. Seems the DOT plow caught some of the curb and tore it up coming down the street and deposited asphalt and stones in the snow bank. Sure enough my 2 stage found one right away and wedged a big stone between the paddle and the chute frame effectively stopping the blower cold real fast quick and in a hurry. Got it out with a pry bar and the paddle took a good hit and bent but that can be fixed later. Started again and the belt snapped after 20 ft from being burned up from the sudden stop. Of coarse the replacement belt I have was wrong! For 2 years I've been staring at that belt knowing I have a replacement if a problems arises but obviously made a huge mistake. Luckily one of the local shops was still open so went out and got a belt. Install new belt, go another 20' and the chain snapped. I'm not up for doing that in the middle of a storm with snow and wind. Had to fire up the little 654 and push wet heavy piles which puts a beating on that thing. I know people will say "whatever you do don't ram the snow piles" . Well, I'd much rather spend 2 hours in the Spring fixing the frame than spend 6 hours of freezing my nuts off pushing little bits of snow around the driveway.

Anyway, end of rant and just needed to vent 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

pfrederi
9 minutes ago, wallfish said:

We got about 16" yesterday and had a difficult time. Seems the DOT plow caught some of the curb and tore it up coming down the street and deposited asphalt and stones in the snow bank. Sure enough my 2 stage found one right away and wedged a big stone between the paddle and the chute frame effectively stopping the blower cold real fast quick and in a hurry. Got it out with a pry bar and the paddle took a good hit and bent but that can be fixed later. Started again and the belt snapped after 20 ft from being burned up from the sudden stop. Of coarse the replacement belt I have was wrong! For 2 years I've been staring at that belt knowing I have a replacement if a problems arises but obviously made a huge mistake. Luckily one of the local shops was still open so went out and got a belt. Install new belt, go another 20' and the chain snapped. I'm not up for doing that in the middle of a storm with snow and wind. Had to fire up the little 654 and push wet heavy piles which puts a beating on that thing. I know people will say "whatever you do don't ram the snow piles" . Well, I'd much rather spend 2 hours in the Spring fixing the frame than spend 6 hours of freezing my nuts off pushing little bits of snow around the driveway.

Anyway, end of rant and just needed to vent 

You gotta do what you gotta do....

stevasaurus

Holy Cow John!!!   Brake downs, when you are using the machine, are not fun.  Have a large Rock & Rye and things will be much better.  Horse Doctor's orders.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 5

WVHillbilly520H

@wallfish, I knew better but I felt pity for my BIL so I cleared his gravel driveway and chewed the the rubber impeller paddles I added to my 2stage as well as scrubbed the drum completely of paint from when I refurbished it 2 years ago, also lost the hair pin in the lift rod while there too, should have used the the other 520 with plow or the eMax, live and learn, Jeff.

IMAG4269.jpg

IMAG4264.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

wallfish

Went out today to clean up the edges and the area where the street drain is so all the water doesn't flow down the driveway. ^%$ #  654 tranny locked in 2 gears at the end of the driveway. I'm skipping right past the Rock & Rye and going to shots of Tequila! I should be out there fixing instead of typing but probably best to leave it for now and get to it when the frustration is over!

One good thing is they will now finally get the attention they've been neglected of. Just haven't had any time this past year to do ANY preventive maintenance so I basically got back more than I put in. At least this didn't happen 2 storms ago!

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

WVHillbilly520H
14 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Went out today to clean up the edges and the area where the street drain is so all the water doesn't flow down the driveway. ^%$ #  654 tranny locked in 2 gears at the end of the driveway. I'm skipping right past the Rock & Rye and going to shots of Tequila! I should be out there fixing instead of typing but probably best to leave it for now and get to it when the frustration is over!

One good thing is they will now finally get the attention they've been neglected of. Just haven't had any time this past year to do ANY preventive maintenance so I basically got back more than I put in. At least this didn't happen 2 storms ago!

The old saying when it rains it pours, I feel your frustration...:doh:

squonk

It snowed and blowed but it's like 34F. Drove along the rim of Lake Ontario. About 8" there. Got home late and we got only about 2". Driveway where no one parks is covered but the entrance to the garage and where my wife parks is bare! :occasion-xmas: :) 

Edited by squonk

Sparky
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

Having some crummy luck there John. Probably not a convenient machine for snow duty but what about the loader tractor for knocking back snow piles and such?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Hi John...that 654 has the suction problem.  You have been shifting to fast plowing snow and one of the shift forks sucked back into gear as you shifted into another.  Prescription...1/8" allen wrench...lift up boot on shifter...place allen wrentch and 7/16" lock nut open end wrench.  Loosen lock nut...turn out set screw enough to lift out shifter from transmission.  Take long screwdriver and move both shift forks back into neutral position.  You can now move your horse back from the tree bank.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Replace shifter, set screw and lock nut...lower boot....continue plowing snow...

Sipping Rock & Rye before plowing snow...has the effect or not being able to shift faster then the shift forks can move...thus eliminating the problem that it took Wheel Horse 5 years to tackle by re-engeering the shift forks.  The time my 702 locked up like yours...I did not have any Rock & Rye...until I walked back to the garage to get my tools.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

squonk

Maybe put some R & R in the grand to help stop the suction.:occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wallfish
43 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Having some crummy luck there John. Probably not a convenient machine for snow duty but what about the loader tractor for knocking back snow piles and such?

Just a little bit Mike!

654 is so much easier and more maneuverable than the loader tractor is so the loader gets stored out back down the hill. It's not gonna make it up with a foot of snow. Normally snow piles aren't an issue because the blower piles it 20-30 ft away, the blade is only used for quick clean ups.

31 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Sipping Rock & Rye before plowing snow...has the effect or not being able to shift faster then the shift forks can move...thus eliminating the problem that it took Wheel Horse 5 years to tackle by re-engeering the shift forks.  The time my 702 locked up like yours...I did not have any Rock & Rye...until I walked back to the garage to get my tools.

I do shift fast sometimes and it has happened a few times in the past. A new shifter a few years back with a good ball on the end seemed to solve the problem or at least the frequency. Normally getting it fixed quickly isn't a problem but this is getting comical when it all happens at once.

Red144runner

We had 20" here (added 3" after the picture). 5 miles away, the school I work at had 14". Cleared that last night and this morning. I'm on hour 36 now. It was light at least.

IMG_4867.JPG

IMG_4868.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

• Like 5

ebinmaine

Here's another snow pic from today. .. and a bonus. 

20180315_153003.jpg.1fcf1b0ef8ecac6de761ae9a155cea86.jpg20180315_152937.jpg.9296913121d6b121c6ae07e8961593b3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

At least the roads are clear.

• Like 1