wheelhorse66

Sunstrand

wheelhorse66

I have a 1968 charger 12 with I think a sunstrand hydro.does the rear end and the pump both take atf flued or are they seperate?

Ed Kennell

They use the same fluid.    Make sure it is ATF before adding fluid.   Many have been converted to 30W motor oil.   They do not mix well.

ATF is pink  and oil is amber.......check color before adding.

Edited by Ed Kennell

pfrederi

The transaxle (rear end) is the reservoir for the hydro pump.  Pump hydro motor and transaxle all use same fluid

Sarge

If it has ATF in it that is very old it can appear to be thick and colored like dirty engine oil. Best way to determine exactly what is in it, use your nose. All automatic transmission fluids have a very distinct odor that is very different from engine oil. If you aren't familiar with that odor,  get a bottle of ATF and open it - you'll easily be able to remember that distinct odor. No matter how old or burnt that fluid becomes, it Wii never lose that odd smell.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wheelhorse66

Ok thank yaw very much.the guy that had it said he put another pump on the transaxle.and had the tractor in a 100 peices.geting every thing back together.how does the hydro link hook up to the lever that makes it move?need a pic if any body has one.

pfrederi

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

wheelhorse66

Thanks this will come in handy I’ve never had a hydro

• Like 1