Lost Pup

Kohler M18 Choke Mod - Purchased Ebay Carb

Lost Pup

I purchased one of the (really) cheapo clone carbs on Ebay for my 418C. As delivered the choke arm lever was opposite ( facing down ) and the 418 requires the up facing choke arm so it would "pull" to close the choke. Fashioned a small arm and  sandwiched it to the down facing choke arm. Works perfectly, no dimensions as I eyeballed up the travel line from the choke cable to the arm. The 418 starts and idles and runs perfectly.     

1-DSC06556.JPG

1-DSC06552.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi

Great Idea!!  Swapping out chokes usually results in sheared little screws and much frustration

• Like 2

Zeek

Nice work! Good idea too :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

pacer
26 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Great Idea!!  Swapping out chokes usually results in sheared little screws and much frustration

Yep, its almost a given that one or both screws will break or strip. I still do it this way because I found a way to survive it. The threads/hole in the shaft are almost perfect for going back using button head 4/40 screws (or any 4/40 screw) I carefully redrill the old holes and tap for the 4/40 screw. Ive done some 5 of those that way --- jeez, its crazy not to get a brand new carb for less than $20!

I recently bought a Massey Ferguson with a K341 engine and its choke arm was even yet more different and the carb on it was completely ruined, so I ordered one of the $12-14 carbs and did the choke arm swap and ---voila!!

• Like 1