SteveK440

Need opinions on rear discharge deck?

SteveK440

Screenshot_2018-03-13-05-30-35.png.d7817472fd6a01bb52c2c240a814972d.pngFound a rear discharge deck for $100 about 60 miles from my house I was thinking of buying but want to know a couple of questions from experienced users. How do these perform with tall grass wet and dry? Have you noticed if they sling grass clippings down below the shifter plate? Also, does the attached photos appear to look like a 42 in.?

Screenshot_2018-03-13-05-30-35.png

Screenshot_2018-03-13-05-31-46.png

Screenshot_2018-03-13-05-31-46.png

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Yes that is a 42 inch deck.   They work well and I prefer the rear discharge for safety .   If you cut your grass regularly and not let it get too tall they work fine.   Tall grass wet or dry  will leave irregular cut and  windrows.   

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DennisThornton

Really liked my 36".  Can trim close with either side.  Doesn't blow trimmings into the drive or sidewalk. 

Never seen anything do a good job on too tall grass... 

• Like 3

Tankman

Long ago used the rear discharge deck, great! Towed a sweeper, made the lawns very nice, well kept.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Seat time, mow frequently. No mower likes tall grass.

Deck pictured looks very nice.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I prefer the SDs early when the grass is fast growing and heavy.   I mow into windrows and collect it with the sweeper.

Later in the summer, I prefer the RDs. They distribute the grass better and I let it lay.

• Like 1

lynnmor

Apparently that is a recycler deck with the round baffles and the bumps above the blades. High grass might choke it up with all those baffles keeping the debris inside.  I have the open deck without any baffles that I use with a sweeper for fall cleanup..  Without the sweeper it lets some real ugly rows, but I would bet that the recycler would have less of that effect as long as it doesn't choke up.

• Like 2

peter lena

been using r/d decks for years, most important is the change over of drive belt, a s/d deck drive belt is about 6" longer than the r/d belt .if you cannot tighten up your drive belt, the deck will never get up to speed. depending on what model and year you have they are different. another thing, the bottom side of that looked " starved  " for lubrication and cleaning. both vital for long rot free life . check for spider cracks near spindles , indicating impacts with rocks or stumps. if you are lucky maybe the guy has been  using the wrong belt and is selling it , because it never cut right. I recently picked up a near new 42 r/d that had belt burn marks on the top of deck indicating a loose sloppy drive belt. I use lubriplate chain and cable spray on the underside of my decks to feed the metal and kill of the grunge, along with regular scrap down 2 times a year. if the deck is not cracked or rotted out, it could be a good deal. spindles should be smooth and free. remember, the drive belt is the heart of this deck, mine spins up like its supposed to. Pete.

• Like 2

SteveK440

Whoa, did not not expect this many replies in four hours. Thanks for all the replies. You guys feel like my uncle who use always gave me sound advice and I hope to inherit his horse one day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lane Ranger

Yes  as lynnmor says it does appear to be a recycler deck which is also one I have used and they are great.   A more expensive deck when first purchased!

• Like 1

DennisThornton
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I prefer the SDs early when the grass is fast growing and heavy.   I mow into windrows and collect it with the sweeper.

Later in the summer, I prefer the RDs. They distribute the grass better and I let it lay.

Yep!  Indeed.  If you have to rake anyway the SD would be preferable though I find that during high growth rates the sun is hot enough that if I mow early enough I can just mow over the cut grass after it's dried and be done with it.  Sometimes even without waiting 

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:          I have rear discharge decks on a couple of mine and love them, they will mulch the clippings well enough to reduce or eliminate the need to sweep up the clippings. When mowing near flower beds and mulched areas you don't have to alter your path to avoid blowing clippings into them and there are virtually no clippings picked up bu the engine cooling fan (flywheel).        :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

SteveK440

Thanks for all your replys. Texted the seller and they claim spindles spin free and no fracture cracks in the deck. They claim they sold the tractor but the buyer didn't want the deck, Go figure... Anyway, I figure the only thing I'm risking is 120 miles of gas and wear on my truck to look at it Sunday. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

One thing I like about the rear discharge deck...in the fall it will mulch the leaves if I go backwards over them.  I don't know if your mulching deck will do the same thing.  My 36" RD's do not have those mulching rings.  :)  I really love the cut though.

I also have a 42" side discharge that I use over at my Mom's.  It does a nice cut, but I cut it first in 2nd gear and then I usually have to run over the lawn a second time in 3rd gear to cut up the clippings.  Raking is not in my vocabulary.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3

Forest Road

You’d be a fool to pass on that deck. I removed the recycler insert from mine. Weighs 1/2 as much now. As long as the deck isn’t cracked or rotted through that’s a steel!!!! Used spindles are easy to come by should you need one. I have a bucket full of deck parts. Hope I never need to use them. 

I prefer an RD over SD. You can get close to the edges of your lawn on either side. 

Scrub mine annually down to bare metal. Then spray it down w WD-40. Stand it up for the winter in the shed. No rust to speak of and it’s 24 years old. 

Edited by Forest Road
  • Thanks 1

squonk

I have a recycler deck and love it. The only thing is you have to keep it clean. That means occasionally removing the insert and getting all the grass out that gets behind it. Also remove all the triangles and clean behind them. More work but I used to have to sweep after every mow but not anymore.