eddiebunyan

18-K

eddiebunyan

Got a guy who insists he has a 18hp single cylinger "K" engine in a wheel horse??Never heard of one??

oldredrider

That would be a K361 if it's a horizontal shaft . Most likely a replacement motor.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@PeacemakerJack Mentioned to me one time there is such a thing.... not in a wheelhorse though. I seem to remember seeing somewhere they may have been too tall for WH hood clearance?

• Thanks 1

littleredrider

I'm not an expert but 99.9% positive never had one in a horse. I just read somewhere the only difference was the over head valves, but never looked into it....

• Confused 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, littleredrider said:

only difference was the over head valves, but never looked into it....

That's what I  remember as well

953 nut

May not have left the factory with one, but a couple of wrenches and a screwdriver and,Image result for presto changoyou've got one.

• Like 2

R. L. Addison

I think some of the "D" 180's had the K361 in them. Never saw one though. That is the only thing I ever heard of.

953 nut

The list of all models says '73 "D" had the K482S (twin cylinder) 18 HP engine. We have all found exceptions to the list over time, this may be one; or not?

wildman
10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

May not have left the factory with one, but a couple of wrenches and a screwdriver and,Image result for presto changoyou've got one.

Don't forget the fire  wrench 

• Haha 1

Sparky

Here's a poor quality pic I found. Definitly see a Wheel Horse hood clearance issue from the OHV set-up.

image.jpeg

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
19 hours ago, eddiebunyan said:

Got a guy who insists he has a 18hp single cylinger "K" engine in a wheel horse??Never heard of one??

Ed is there any chance of pics or more info?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious to see it.

eddiebunyan

Would the OHV .be considered a "K"?Talked to my local small engine dealer who's been in the buisness for 35 years and use to work for a dealer in the 70's that sold wheelhorse and Bolens. He said he's only seen one 18 and that was in a economy tractor.I asked the guy if he could get me the engine model number ,so we'll see.

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, eddiebunyan said:

Would the OHV .be considered a "K"?Talked to my local small engine dealer who's been in the buisness for 35 years and use to work for a dealer in the 70's that sold wheelhorse and Bolens. He said he's only seen one 18 and that was in a economy tractor.I asked the guy if he could get me the engine model number ,so we'll see.

I poked around on the interwebs for a bit and it looks like it IS considered a "K".

I see several references to the overhead valves being splash lubed with no actual oil pump which was a problem for the heads/seats.

As near as I can figure in just a few minutes - I am NO authority - They were used mostly in 78 -80 or so economys but also a few others.

I've never seen one that I can recall. The couple economys I've looked at were Kohler 14s.

I see no online references to WH ever using one as OE but as others have stated it could be added in... though the hood clearance would really be an issue in most models.

Still wicked curious..... :popcorn:

richmondred01

Like many have said, I dont believe the K361 would have the clearance to fit under the hood.

K361 had several flaws too with lack of oil pressure to the valves. Years back I did a few rebuilds on the k361. Even back then, the parts were hard to get. 

But yes they were k block engines. 

Edited by richmondred01
  • Like 1

eddiebunyan

I saw it on marketplace.The guy had it in a wheel horse puller,so I'm sure he put it in.