jdleach

I Be Back Again...

jdleach

Posting once again after a lonnnggg interlude. Been making my list, and checking it twice, trying to get my 312-8 ready for the coming season. I also have my C-175 that I absolutely must get working on again. Big thing now, is to locate a good supplier of parts. Was getting my regular stuff, such as belts, filters, etc. from a local company. But they have changed hands, and when I went in there to get a mower deck drive belt, I pretty well got fleeced. So, any suggestions, let me know.

Hope everyone who was on here before is doing OK. Will enjoy "horsing" around again with the forum members.

• Like 5

953 nut

Welcome back!      I have had good luck with belts from Tractor Supply. Also some sellers on Ebay do have Toro belts listed by the :wh: stock number.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Welcome back!

• Haha 1

Tankman
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Welcome back!      I have had good luck with belts from Tractor Supply. Also some sellers on Ebay do have Toro belts listed by the :wh: stock number.

Been using Huskee Kevlar belts for years. Never had a failure.

Most always on the shelf at TSC. Inexpensive.

Label the belt sleeve, i.e.: 48" deck. Staple gun the sleeve to the shop wall for future reference. :handgestures-thumbupright:

V-Belts.png.690d6f13067ea9c04e9d29ab71367d2b.png

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

JC 1965

:text-welcomeconfetti:  Back  !!    I usually get my belts on Ebay. They're original Toro belts listed under  :wh: numbers.

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

TSC Kevlar works for me.      And If I screw up and get the wrong size,  they can be exchanged if the sleeve is not damaged and the belt is clean.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Glad your back onboard.....:handgestures-thumbupright:

Glenn

• Excellent 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I screw up and get the wrong size,  they can be exchanged

TSC... I buy a couple belts either side and what I suspect the correct size, . they gladly take back as long as what Ed says.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

jdleach

I wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome. You guys haven't changed a bit. Gonna start a new post, as I am needing some parts for my 312-8. Had to get another PC, and I have lost all my links.

jdleach

I think I will check into those Kevlar belts. The drive belt for the deck was replaced by me when I first got the tractor in 2014. Was a Toro belt from the local dealer. Thing was coming apart after last season, and it isn't like I was mowing 2 acres, just the city lot where I live (pretty well standard size).  Thanks guys for the part numbers and sources.

ericj

if your belt came apart that fast, you should check pulleys and idlers, something ain't right. I've run belts for years that were in cracked to start with and never had a problem. the only other thing,and don't take it personally is if a person run to fast for conditions it will over stress the belts causing them to fail. good luck

eric j

• Thanks 1

squonk

:banana-wrench:  

:banana-wrench:

• Thanks 1

jdleach

There wasn't anything significantly wrong with the idlers, although one was a bit stiff, you could still spin it. Went ahead and ordered both mule drive idlers, along with the spacers. The belt itself didn't look as if was stressed in any way (worked a lot on vehicles, and industrial belted equipment over the decades), rather it appears that the rubber just failed. There were numerous sections of the root that had flaked/broke out. It has always been my habit to release the tension on the belt after every mowing session, so if the belt had been running hot, or appeared to be suffering abrasion, I am sure I would have seen it. I noticed the chunks missing just a few weeks ago as I walked past the mower in the garage, so the failure had to have occurred during the last few mowing sessions I had in the fall.