formariz

How can I make these work?

formariz

Found these hubcaps today brand new for $16.00. I don't know what they were for but they fit a 12" wheel nicely. There is no way however for them to "clip" on wheel. They are 10-1/4" in diameter. Is there some type of clip I can use on them or on wheel? They are stainless steel.

IMG_1077.JPG.47a37af27162997164974698d24c82cd.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG.b3d643c8c2b978a33fb52a8b0284e55d.JPG

KC9KAS

I have heard that the clips can be found at a "Truck Stop" store. Same type of clips used on some caps on truck wheels.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

I used to use window or door stripping about 1/2 wide that had a sticky side  to it rap around a few times or once it made up the difference. No buddy will ever know it is there. It sounds corny but it worked. Also you do not scratch the paint if it is good shape, Just my :twocents-02cents:

Edited by Retierd Wrencher
  • Like 1

Daddy Don

Baby moons :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 2

WHX??

Some small dabs of clear silicone around the outside rim? Just a thought

GlenPettit

Here's a quick photo of the Front Hub Cap CLIPS, each Hub Cap needs four clips to hold itself on.

They  will  dig into the painted wheel and leave little marks under the cap,  and these clips can be found

at many large truck stop supply stores, also most Auto Stores can special order them for you (but don't rush

a special order, have them come in on their regular  schedule delivery to save a $5-10 shipping fee).    

We also have these for $3 for a 4-pack (+$3.50 ship > 4oz) -- [listed under Venders].

IMG_0180.jpg

Caution:     If using just 3 clips, the clips must be spaced exactly to hold the cap on, two clips will not hold the cap on in use, three clips

may hold, but four clips will hold the Hub Caps on.  If the caps ever fall off, you will very likely not notice it missing until you hear it crunch.

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Retired Wrencher
2 hours ago, GlenPettit said:

Here's a quick photo of the Front Hub Cap CLIPS, each Hub Cap needs four clips to hold itself on.

They  will  dig into the painted wheel and leave little marks under the cap,  and these clips can be found

at many large truck stop supply stores, also most Auto Stores can special order them for you (but don't rush

a special order, have them come in on their regular  schedule delivery to save a $5-10 shipping fee).    

We also have these for $3 for a 4-pack (+$3.50 ship > 4oz) -- [listed under Venders].

IMG_0180.jpg

Caution:     If using just 3 clips, the clips must be spaced exactly to hold the cap on, two clips will not hold the cap on in use, three clips

may hold, but four clips will hold the Hub Caps on.  If the caps ever fall off, you will very likely not notice it missing until you hear it crunch.

Well done Glen that is good to know.

• Like 1

formariz
21 hours ago, GlenPettit said:

IMG_0180.jpg

Just to clarify how these work: Clips mount on hubcap and wedge themselves on the actual wheel? Or do they mount on wheel and wedge themselves onto hubcap?

WHX??
9 minutes ago, formariz said:

Clips mount on hubcap and wedge themselves on the actual wheel

:text-yeahthat:They WILL scratch the paint on the rims tho! :(

• Like 1

TDF5G

I'm not sure you can make those caps fit your wheels with the clips, the edges are rolled over on these, there is no provision for clips. The caps that take clips are designed differently. See attached pic.  The caps you have are made to pop on over bumps on a wheel or axle bolt heads on a truck.

Not trying to be discouraging, just giving you my perspective on it.   The silicone idea may work, if these caps fit inside the wheel rim, or perhaps a few layers of duct tape or foil tape. 

wheel-horse-520-h-tractor-hub-caps-set-of-4-rusty-hub-caps-edec3218c9b1c64aecc82f8e9043c83d.jpg

• Excellent 1