Pat Jayson

How to get a tractor over seas?

Pat Jayson

Hi!

I'm very happy to be a new member of Red Square.

I have two horses in my stable, one 657 and one 704,

but my dream for many years has been to own an RJ 58.

I'm interrested in ev'ry horse from "restorable but complete"

to "very good condition"

I have but one problem, but I've heard from good authority

that it's not impossible; how do I get it shipped to Sweden?

,Do you know of any shipping company

that can bring a Wheel Horse over to Sweden?

If so I'd be more than glad to get in contact with them.

I hope somebody can help me!

All the best

Pat

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

There are a number of members in Europe - I am sure some will have some shipping suggestions shortly!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square Pat.  :occasion-xmas:  We have a few guys that have shipped a horse over seas.  Hopefully, they will see your thread and join in.  Do you have a line on an RJ?  Where you find one might make a difference on how you get it shipped. 

• Like 3

squonk

@neil should be able to give a few pointers.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

I have no idea but WELCOME to the forum!!

• Like 1

wheelhorseman

@Lars lives by Oslo Norway and he has done it maybe he will chime in and give you a few pointers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Best of luck and welcome to Red Square.

:wh:           :text-welcomeconfetti:          :wh:

Glenn

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

R. L. Addison

Does anyone close to you ship containers in from the U.S./Canada? If so, maybe they can help by filling a little more of their empty (if not completely full) space with one & help both of you out. Then maybe someone would help you near the origin of the container to prep & deliver on this side to container. It is possible in places because I've known some missionaries to use it.

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

@Skipper has done some shipping to denmark, he might also have some pointers

• Like 2

Skipper
On 12/3/2018 at 8:55 AM, C-101plowerpower said:

@Skipper has done some shipping to denmark, he might also have some pointers

Yes I have had a few containers with various items shipped across the pond.

To point out a few things to consider, this would be the short list.

First off, let me warn you. Things may seem cheap in the US, and so they often are compared to EU prices, but before you have it on your porch, it may well be another matter.

Second off, let me tell you the biggest hurdle to overcome. The american you are going to buy it from................ Yes that's right. Most are very cautious, and many will not even talk to you, let alone believe you, when you call them up from Sweden. Trust me, I have been there many times. Also with people from this forum. It was to be fair, also people from this forum that got me set up eventually, and for that I am deeply greatful. THANKS GUYS! So with persistence and luck, you will find someone that is willing to trust you. Thing is, there are many scammers out there, and to the average American Joe, you might not sound much different than the Indian lady from microsoft that calls you up, just to tell you that your computer needs fixing, and that she only needs your bank info and first born to fix it for you..............

• Shipping is expensive, and the less you ship, the more expensive it is. The smallest amount of bulk cargo for container shipping is normally 2 SQ meters. For 1 tractor you can get offers from at least app 500 USD. and upwards to 800 USD. from the shipping companies, and even more from those trying to make money on selling out a partial space like car transportes that wants to make good of the last space in a container, and freight forwarders. There I have been quoted over 1200 USD. This is the container freight alone. 
  • Seller will need to fill out correct invoice and export forms and what not. Not many private sellers will want to bother with it.
  • You need to consider inland (US) shipping and handeling, and that can be really costly, depending on where your goods are, in relation to a shipping hub. And who you have on the US side to handle it for you. Calculate at least .5 USD per mile, + handeling fees.
  • If you have an import registered business, this next step is a bit easier and smooth, but in general you can count on the following. When the goods arrive in EU, you need to pay toll, app 12% depending on the goods. That's 12% of everything so far. Cost, inland transportation, shipping, handeling, etc. etc. Then there is the VAT, that you then have to pay on top on the previous total. Not sure what level you are at, but here in DK, that is 25%. So around accumulated 40% on top just for taxes.
  • Then comes the inland transport from EU port to your place. If you can't pick it op from a major harbor your self, that will also cost a fair lot depending on distance.
  • Be sure all offers you get include all paperwork and actual handeling of the goods, customs handeling, toll handeling, VAT handeling, harbor fees, fuel surcharge etc.etc.
  • Be clear with yourself about the risks you run. You buy something you have not seen or tried out. You trust a stranger (most likely the seller) to handle it, pack it, ship it etc, and that's even befor it gets in the hands of a shipping company. You also need to pay up front for it, and hope all is good when it arrives. I'm not saying everyone will try to cheat you, but the bad seeds are certainly out there, which leads back to the foremost point, that you need someone in the US that you can trust, and who wants to work with you on this.

Just for fun, lets make a little calculation. 

1 pc. RJ58 nice in good complete condition. Lets put that at a 800 USD. Then you need it transported to the shipping hub. It needs to be packaged/crated etc. Lets say you are not too far from a shipping hub, lets say 500 miles. Now lets assume you can get the seller to handle that shipping for you, you may be looking at 300-400 USD for that. Lets say 350. Then it is now at 1150. Then the shipping company takes over and does everything they are supposed to do. Lets put that in the low end at 500 USD incl. all. (can easily be more). Now it is at the EU border, and it is also at 1650 USD. Then you pay Toll, let's low ball it to 10%. That's 165 USD, bringing it up to 1815 USD. Then it is VAT time. I know you have different brackets in Sveden, but I also think this will hit the highest, making it 25%. That racks up 453.75 USD more. Total is now 2268.75 USD. And you still have it sitting on the docks.......................................

I'm not trying to burst your boble here, but to be honest, things most often at least triple in price, when you take home single items.

The best advice I can give you, is to find someone who takes a whole container home at a time, and piggyback or preorder with that person. Then all the above obstacles are mostly out the way, and most often you also can get a way cheaper tractor, due to costs being minimized. And since all the costs are taxed too, that is what just kills it. 

If you are in no hurry, and do not mind the transport from Denmark, I can perhaps offer to help you out, as I most likely will put another shipment together this fall. Feel free to send me a message :-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 6

wallfish
36 minutes ago, Skipper said:

And since all the costs are taxed too, that is what just kills it

OUCH!

• Like 1

neil

I’ve shipped 7 Wheelhorse tractors to UK , Skipper has pretty much covered everything in his post , If you need any other info , just get in touch , I had a quote to ship an RJ cutting deck this week £580 +tax , natuarally I declined , 

• Like 2

ztnoo

Welcome to the social welfare morass of the EU, where on the surface nearly everything is free, but is actually funded by a horrendously choking undercurrent of enormous personal and business taxation.

Unfortunately we've been moving in that direction for a long time.

It's stiffling and severely depresses the work ethic and personal incentive.

" "Taxman" is a song written by George Harrison and released as the opening track on the Beatles' 1966 album Revolver. Its lyrics attack the high levels of progressive tax taken by the British Labour government of Harold Wilson.[4][5]

Harrison said, "'Taxman' was when I first realized that even though we had started earning money, we were actually giving most of it away in taxes. It was and still is typical."[6] As their earnings placed them in the top tax bracket in the United Kingdom, the Beatles were liable to a 95% supertax introduced by Harold Wilson's Labour government (hence the lyrics "There's one for you, nineteen for me", referring to the pre-decimal pound sterling which consisted of twenty shillings).[7] In a 1984 interview with Playboy magazine, Paul McCartney explained: "George wrote that and I played guitar on it. He wrote it in anger at finding out what the taxman did. He had never known before then what he'll do with your money." "

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxman

• Like 2

Skipper
2 hours ago, neil said:

I’ve shipped 7 Wheelhorse tractors to UK , Skipper has pretty much covered everything in his post , If you need any other info , just get in touch , I had a quote to ship an RJ cutting deck this week £580 +tax , natuarally I declined , 

If you have the time to wait, I can get it over here much cheaper.

Last container I did from the US was a full 40 foot high cube.  Garden and lawn tractors, decks and other implements, parts and what not.

I have some pretty solid contacts in the US at some good places that can find most anything, and I plan another container for this fall.

Anyone interested in getting stuff from the US to Europe are welcome to contact me. I can probably find room for most anything, as long it is not prohibited items or dangerous goods. Dangerous goods can be done though, but it is pretty costly.

I can arrange onwards shipping from Denmark to anywhere in Europe too.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Skipper
6 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

Welcome to the social welfare morass of the EU, where on the surface nearly everything is free, but is actually funded by a horrendously choking undercurrent of enormous personal and business taxation.

Unfortunately we've been moving in that direction for a long time.

It's stiffling and severely depresses the work ethic and personal incentive.

" "Taxman" is a song written by George Harrison and released as the opening track on the Beatles' 1966 album Revolver. Its lyrics attack the high levels of progressive tax taken by the British Labour government of Harold Wilson.[4][5]

Harrison said, "'Taxman' was when I first realized that even though we had started earning money, we were actually giving most of it away in taxes. It was and still is typical."[6] As their earnings placed them in the top tax bracket in the United Kingdom, the Beatles were liable to a 95% supertax introduced by Harold Wilson's Labour government (hence the lyrics "There's one for you, nineteen for me", referring to the pre-decimal pound sterling which consisted of twenty shillings).[7] In a 1984 interview with Playboy magazine, Paul McCartney explained: "George wrote that and I played guitar on it. He wrote it in anger at finding out what the taxman did. He had never known before then what he'll do with your money." "

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxman

Well you (the american people) elected the door nobs pulling you in that direction. EU may look glittery on the outside, but trust me, being here seems a lot less fun. 

Take two extremes. EU, and in particular northern Europes rules and regulations, combined with the taxes you would not even believe if I told you about. Compare it to the wild west. Where would you choose to live? Yes it is extreme, but to us in the EU, US was 15-20 years ago, the closest you could get to that freedom, without sacrificing a Certain standard of things. Today you are trying to be like us, and I can for the life of me not see why. You are in the process of breaking down what made america special. Not my place to say so, I know, but it is an observation from a European, that has spend a few years in the US, and found it to be less and less magical to come back over the years.

Not trying to stir up a political commotion here. ;-)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ztnoo
1 hour ago, Skipper said:

the door nobs

What an apt description!

3tens.gif.0219e584862e3a21fda63b0584519b5c.gif

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Skipper, I was waiting and hoping you would come in here and add your knowledge and experiences from last fall.  :handgestures-thumbupright:   I hope you did not scare Pat off.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

Pat Jayson
9 hours ago, Skipper said:

If you have the time to wait, I can get it over here much cheaper.

Last container I did from the US was a full 40 foot high cube.  Garden and lawn tractors, decks and other implements, parts and what not.

I have some pretty solid contacts in the US at some good places that can find most anything, and I plan another container for this fall.

Anyone interested in getting stuff from the US to Europe are welcome to contact me. I can probably find room for most anything, as long it is not prohibited items or dangerous goods. Dangerous goods can be done though, but it is pretty costly.

I can arrange onwards shipping from Denmark to anywhere in Europe too.

Hi Skipper!

This is beginning to look like it's actually possible to get an RJ over seas to Denmark/Sweden.

I can wait a while if it's needed.

If the seller in the US says:

no shipping-only pick up.

Can you make that happen too,

if it's not across the whole continent?

I look very much forward to reading your answer!

Pat

Skipper
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Skipper, I was waiting and hoping you would come in here and add your knowledge and experiences from last fall.  :handgestures-thumbupright:   I hope you did not scare Pat off.  :occasion-xmas:

Hi my friend. I hope not either. Just trying to be realistic, and lend a hand if needed.

Did you see my thread about HC upgrade on the 195 trans? I could really use your wisdom there, and perhaps your connections also to solve the puzzle ;-)

Keep in touch buddy

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

Skipper
56 minutes ago, Pat Jayson said:

Hi Skipper!

This is beginning to look like it's actually possible to get an RJ over seas to Denmark/Sweden.

I can wait a while if it's needed.

If the seller in the US says:

no shipping-only pick up.

Can you make that happen too,

if it's not across the whole continent?

I look very much forward to reading your answer!

Hi Pat

Well anything is possible, but whether it is likely and a viable solution or not depends on where your seller is located. Also it would be completely on you what condition it is in, if you want to go that way.

Alternatively I am pretty sure I can get my hands on one or two RJ's from my US connections, and that would be close to the ship out point. Just floating this as an option. 

I will send you a PM with my contact info, so we can try to take the information exchange to the next level.  

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Skipper...I did see your thread on the trans.  I have to tell you, I know nothing about hydros, and what you are trying to do.  Manual transmissions...maybe I can help.  :)

Are you looking at doing the same thing, pretty much as last year??   In other words...trailer in same place etc.  Count me in on helping Pat if I can.  If he buys it near me, I can get it here for pick up.  It would be nice if you could spend more time this year then last....just sayin'.  :) 

Pat finding one sooner then later is better for us guys here in the states to get it close for the fall pick up.  :occasion-xmas:

Skipper
12 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Skipper...I did see your thread on the trans.  I have to tell you, I know nothing about hydros, and what you are trying to do.  Manual transmissions...maybe I can help.  :)

Are you looking at doing the same thing, pretty much as last year??   In other words...trailer in same place etc.  Count me in on helping Pat if I can.  If he buys it near me, I can get it here for pick up.  It would be nice if you could spend more time this year then last....just sayin'.  :) 

Pat finding one sooner then later is better for us guys here in the states to get it close for the fall pick up.  :occasion-xmas:

Yeah I would like to spend more time too. It's so nice with an extended family ;-). Last year was to be fair, way too hectic. It was a big job done in a few days, so there was no time to float. You saw the stuff we were hauling, and that was just a minor part of it.

Well not quite the same, but along those lines is what I'm thinking. Have to get a feel for it in the grass season first, so I know more precisely what to shoot for. Last time was kind of a 12 gauge in the dark. Shoot and hope for the best.........

I agree that the sooner the better for Pat, but on the other hand I do not want to have him pull the trigger on a deal, before I'm 100% sure a rerun of last year is going to happen. Not if I'm going to be in on it anyways.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I agree...as long as Pat knows...finding one gets it closer to hubs with the show season going on.  That is...I can bring one back from Penn in June to be picked up in the fall in Indiana.  I know a lot has to fall into place...a lot like last year.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Pat Jayson
On 13 mars 2018 at 10:54 PM, Skipper said:

Hi Pat

Well anything is possible, but whether it is likely and a viable solution or not depends on where your seller is located. Also it would be completely on you what condition it is in, if you want to go that way.

Alternatively I am pretty sure I can get my hands on one or two RJ's from my US connections, and that would be close to the ship out point. Just floating this as an option. 

I will send you a PM with my contact info, so we can try to take the information exchange to the next level.  

Hi Skipper

I very much appreciate your help in this matter so let's take this to the next level. 

The RJ I've found is located in LeRoy NY but the seller wants the tractor to be picked up before the end of April. He wants payment pretty soon and I can do that as soon as I have a confirmation that it actually can be shipped to Sweden.

This RJ is complete and that's what I need, because spare parts are pretty hard to come by in Sweden.

Your alternative with getting your hands on one sounds very interesting. If you would have the trouble I will of course compensate you and if it is in good shape I can pay more.

I look forward to read your reply on both options.

Best Regards

Pat

• Like 1