pfrederi

Plowing old snow drifts

pfrederi

Had to clear out some older drifted snow today.  Drifts that have settled are pretty dense.  The old Charger 12 was working so hard I darn near stalled the engine.  That you can almost stall a healthy 12 hp Kohler plowing snow speaks well of the strength of the hydro and the traction provided by the 10 pinion differential.  In the past my other plow tractors would always spin out long before the engine was really worked hard.

• Like 3

formariz

Funny you mention this. The same thing happened to me this time with the Electro plowing huge mounds of wet snow. Helping my neighbor plow his steep 1/4 mile driveway going uphill engine was slowing down considerably. Also going up my driveway I almost stalled it a couple of times.

Ramming into big snow piles I have to be more careful. I almost flipped it a couple of times. Kept going forward over pile to the point that it was going vertical. I don't know what i would do without this tractor, it is just unstoppable. This time I went through 3 fuel tanks non stop.

• Like 2

ericj

I don't think I've ever ran out of power with my onan :teasing-poke:

eric j

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H

Get ya one these you shouldn't have any problems with drifts or banks...its only 22hp.

IMAG4049.jpg

• Like 2

pfrederi

Nice setup.  Does the diamond plate help?.  I have some slippage issues getting on and off mine.  Tried the adhesive backed stuff in a tractor a few years ago but it seemed to get clogged up with snow.

Also what are the vice grips for in the center slot?

ericj
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

You probably run out of traction much before that.:teasing-poke:

I see your running chains that will use more power before you loose traction, I only run chains on my snow blower tractors or if I take them somewhere and plow on a dirt surface, if I can find a pair that will work when I need them 

eric j

• Like 1

formariz
3 minutes ago, ericj said:

I see your running chains that will use more power before you loose traction, I only run chains on my snow blower tractors or if I take them somewhere and plow on a dirt surface, if I can find a pair that will work when I need them 

eric j

I have an extremely steep driveway and don't want to take any changes with it. The almost stalling only happened with this storm for the first time. I had 18 inches of wet stuff on the top part. It was brutal on tractor but it pushed it. I need to get up to the top of it first and then plow downwards. However since I do not have a lot of spots where I can put snow, many times I just push it all to the street like this time.

• Like 2

formariz
12 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Nice setup.  Does the diamond plate help?.  I have some slippage issues getting on and off mine.  Tried the adhesive backed stuff in a tractor a few years ago but it seemed to get clogged up with snow.

Also what are the vice grips for in the center slot?

Diamond plate helps a lot. I don't have any problems going in or out. Vice grips are for throttle .Keeps creeping out of position. Was going to change cable years back but got used to using this way.At least I always know where vice-grips are.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, formariz said:

Diamond plate helps a lot. I don't have any problems going in or out. Vice grips are for throttle .Keeps creeping out of position. Was going to change cable years back but got used to using this way.At least I always know where vice-grips are.

Clothes pins  one fast idle two full throttle:lol:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

ericj
15 minutes ago, formariz said:
23 minutes ago, ericj said:

I have an extremely steep driveway and don't want to take any changes with it. The almost stalling only happened with this storm for the first time. I had 18 inches of wet stuff on the top part. It was brutal on tractor but it pushed it. I need to get up to the top of it first and then plow downwards. However since I do not have a lot of spots where I can put snow, many times I just push it all to the street like this time.

the old saying location, location, location. I don't have any hills on my property so I'm good with out chains except on the 2 snowblower tractors

eric j 

formariz
5 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Clothes pins  one fast idle two full throttle:lol:

Oh you have the adjustable model. I must upgrade.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH

Nice set-ups!

I went this whole season with no chains or added weight. Experiment.

Lots of 3" - 5" snows and one big wet dump...

3 flat driveways each time and NO Issues! and my older asphalt driveway doesn't look like the bride of Frankenstein from chain scratches...

I'm sold.

IMG_1603.jpg

formariz
7 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Nice set-ups!

I went this whole season with no chains or added weight. Experiment.

Lots of 3" - 5" snows and one big wet dump...

3 flat driveways each time and NO Issues! and my older asphalt driveway doesn't look like the bride of Frankenstein from chain scratches...

I'm sold.

IMG_1603.jpg

Flat driveways are ideal however far from that here. Weight really makes a difference . I have 100Lbs on wheels, 90Lbs on rear hitch and about 25Lbs inside tool box. On my neighbors steep long driveway a 4 wheel drive pick up will not make it all the way up plowing. At the turn it slips and stops. I make it all the way up with tractor without one single slip.

• Like 1

squonk

I did almost the exact thing Caz, but I cut up a hydro control lever so it looks kind of stock.IMG_1076.JPG.1653dfcb16b0a805215dfaac3b0900c8.jpg.4ed8149b7d7917a6035c0861115d34ee.jpg

5aa57344dcf81_charlie2c160005.JPG.4496a4a21d1289acdf98ee321c600452.JPG

• Like 1

formariz

@squonkI had not noticed yours but it was your seat that inspired me to change mine. The low seat mounted directly on the pan was terrible for my legs and hips. I would have to get off of tractor every 20 minutes or so to relieve the pain.

Now I sit comfortably on it for hours with no problem. The lever height increase was a must after that.Not reaching for lever is also great. You never have to change position on seat.I just keep my thumb hooked on steering and move it with the rest of my hand.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

squonk

Exactly the same for me. I could never understand why :wh: designed tractors with the seats on the pans. Like sittin in a bucket.I've outfitted at least 5 tractors with seat springs over the years

BIGMIKE

Interesting about the seat. I was getting ready to lower my seat as it feels like I am sitting too high. I am 6' 4" 300 lbs but don't have particularly long legs. The steering wheel is at knee level for me.

Is there a seat Thread?

Mike

formariz
15 hours ago, BIGMIKE said:

Interesting about the seat. I was getting ready to lower my seat as it feels like I am sitting too high. I am 6' 4" 300 lbs but don't have particularly long legs. The steering wheel is at knee level for me.

Is there a seat Thread?

Mike

@BIGMIKE You can do a search, I am sure there are plenty of threads regarding seats.Seat preference is something that will vary greatly according to the individual using it but one has only to look at the wheel horse "evolution" and notice that on the later models seats got to be considerably higher. The issue with the type of seat that came in the Electro and similar models of the era, was not as much the seat itself but how it was mounted. It was mounted directly on the fender pan, so when one sits the knees are actually higher than the hips. It was almost like one was squatting while sitting on it. At least for me that led into a painful situation after about 20 minutes, and after using tractor for a couple of hours the effect would linger for days. Another thing to be careful with the seat on these models is that the fender opens backwards to expose tool box underneath. That could happen unexpectedly specially if one has a low back seat and is trying to move ones weight backwards to gain more traction. The latch mechanism is not that well designed and it will release relatively easily. I keep a hard rubber cork wedged between latch and console to prevent that from happening.