Big_Red_Fred

Steering Column on 417-8

Big_Red_Fred

I cant print the Paper work provided on line here so i have to ask, i bought this 417-8 Saturday March 10, yesterday, It was barely running, gas smelled like turpintine, 2 different spark plugs, 1 wasnt even seated due to is was to big, i forgot to check electric lift tho it was down when i was looking at it, he put it up to limp up on trailer. But my question is i grabed the steering wheel & pulled up through dash, other then the bushing, what holds it at lower gear ? Cotter pin or a split pin ? Any help will get er up & rolling at Big Show, i will Wax it & shine the hub caps0310181118_HDR.jpg.a253741da7e8f9fdf8f498fb85995303.jpg

• Like 1

pfrederi

Should be a 3/4" shaft collar just below the bushing

column.JPG

Edited by pfrederi

Big_Red_Fred

I seen a snap ring below it, i dont have mine handy due to my son taking all my tools, yes i let him , so ill push the bushing in place into the space provided in dash, then move the snap ring in place. You think that piece should have been pinned ? From my observation working on Diesels

953 nut

That should do it.

Big_Red_Fred

@953 nut Now the fuel pump stoped LOL, ordering Electric now

• Like 1

953 nut

Easy to do and makes it start a lot better.

5aa58e1ae6299_SnowTeam168.JPG.7ff29dfa4e79cd610f3094de8c02b4ec.JPG

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred

I have 1 Left at Alex's, hes at Drill today, get this evening @953 nut You turned me on to them Dick, ordering 3 more, The D runs off 1 of them & 1054, Hook to Coil

c-series don

Fred that tractor is not worth fixing and you should just stop now. Leave it alone just take it to the big show and take what you can get. You sometimes have to just take your losses. Lets think about this- 17 hp twin cylinder Kohler(that sounds so sweet under a load) bulletproof 8 speed transmission with electric lift. I'm not sure who would want this set up besides me and most of the other folks here 😂😂😂

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 3

Big_Red_Fred
7 hours ago, c-series don said:

Fred that tractor is not worth fixing and you should just stop now. Leave it alone just take it to the big show and take what you can get. You sometimes have to just take your losses. Lets think about this- 17 hp twin cylinder Kohler(that sounds so sweet under a load) bulletproof 8 speed transmission with electric lift. I'm not sure who would want this set up besides me and most of the other folks here 😂😂😂

It will have that Long Island Shine when you approach it Don saying Take me home ;-)

• Like 1

midpack
7 hours ago, c-series don said:

I'm not sure who would want this set up besides me and most of the other folks here 😂😂😂

I'd take another!

I have the same machine. love the 8 speed/electric lift so much I found one I can put on the other 8 speed machine I have! I ran a snowthrower on the manual lift machine one year... :(

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred
On 3/11/2018 at 9:57 PM, c-series don said:

Why does that Muffler Keep it so Quiet Don, i found some thing last nite Don on line for sale, wanna see it, its the next 1 up from a 417 & he wants 400 or OBO

c-series don

Sounds like the only made for one year 418, but I believe they made 418-8,418-A and 418-C ? 

• Excellent 1

19richie66
20 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Why does that Muffler Keep it so Quiet Don, i found some thing last nite Don on line for sale, wanna see it, its the next 1 up from a 417 & he wants 400 or OBO

What now, lol?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Big_Red_Fred

Here it is Richy, Hey Don LOL dont get mad476375771b234cd98d5ffc20eec6bcd3.jpg.67835f0d5c7bb305d75461b528fc81c1.jpg

• Excellent 2

19richie66

Looks just like mine 👍

Big_Red_Fred
3 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Looks just like mine 👍

400 out the Door, no smoke, eaton 1100 tip top shape, no attachments tho, He's Firm with price. What do you think ?

19richie66

If it is that good of shape mechanically, here I would pay $400 for it(if I had it :mrgreen:). Looks like it needs a good cleaning. They are little beasts in a nice size package. Your money though. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Big_Red_Fred
17 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

If it is that good of shape mechanically, here I would pay $400 for it(if I had it :mrgreen:). Looks like it needs a good cleaning. They are little beasts in a nice size package. Your money though. :handgestures-thumbup:

@WVHillbilly520H Jeff said its worth it to, how should i check the Hydro ? With a Tree & chain ?

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

@WVHillbilly520H Jeff said its worth it to, how should i check the Hydro ? With a Tree & chain ?

Get it warmed up 5-10 min then yes chain it to tree to see if it will break traction/spin the tires,  find a tall curb to push against same deal break traction/spin.

• Excellent 2

Big_Red_Fred
Just now, WVHillbilly520H said:

Get it warmed up 5-10 min then yes chain it to tree to see if it will break traction/spin the tires,  find a tall curb to push against same deal break traction/spin.

Pm sent, took him a Day before

• Like 1

19richie66

If it has a hitch, hook a chain to your truck hitch and try pulling it with the tractor in dirt. Then you can see if it will spin the tires or not. Seller is probably not going to let you push on anything with the fear of you trashing the hood, fenders or something. Then you would own it :mrgreen:

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

The 520 sold from my other post, but the 418 didnt, hes holding for me, said Hydro is strong, another 1 for BRF Stable, get pics out when home

Horse Newbie
On 3/11/2018 at 4:15 PM, 953 nut said:

Easy to do and makes it start a lot better.

5aa58e1ae6299_SnowTeam168.JPG.7ff29dfa4e79cd610f3094de8c02b4ec.JPG

953nut... should I put an electric fuel pump on my 1994 520H when I start putting it back together ?

Horse Newbie
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

953nut... should I put an electric fuel pump on my 1994 520H when I start putting it back together ?

953 nut
On 3/14/2018 at 11:23 PM, Horse Newbie said:

I will put an electric fuel pump on any :wh: that is not being restored to or kept in original condition.

• Like 2