Toolmanbill

520 xi

Toolmanbill

There is a 520xi for sale near me.235 hours 48 inch cut 20 hp twin Kohler.how does this compare to my 1994 314-8 with 800 hours?really like my wheelhorse but feel it’s getting old.original owner.went shopping for a new replacement but really didn’t see anything I liked

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, Toolmanbill said:

There is a 520xi for sale near me.235 hours 48 inch cut 20 hp twin Kohler.how does this compare to my 1994 314-8 with 800 hours?really like my wheelhorse but feel it’s getting old.original owner.went shopping for a new replacement but really didn’t see anything I liked

Most that have/had an xi series seem to like them as well or better than the classic series, with hi/lo range Eaton hydros cruise control and foot pedal motion control the 518 and 520 doesn't have power steering but all the xi have a super tight turning radius, on the negative side is that the attachments/implements are model(xi) specific, if you decide to get it ,use it as a dedicated mower and keep the 314 as the snow/garden/utility machine, as some might say it was the best Toro/WH lawn and garden tractor made, I say go try it out then make your own decisions based off that, I had one (with snow plow single stage thrower and rear clevis hitch) nice unit but I just couldn't get used to the motion control over my 520H, Jeff.

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

Sounds like a nice low hour 520xi you've found.  They are really nice tractors.  Really hard to compare with a 314.  You will find it to be a much larger and heavier tractor.  It can handle a 48" deck with ease.  You will also find it more complicated with the cruise control, smart steer (slows the tractor in a turn) and the two speed rear that Jeff mentioned.  I moved from a 520H to 520xi.  As much as I liked my 520H, I loved the 520xi.  So much so, that I got a 522xi.  I feel that the 5xi series are the best tractors Toro/Wheel Horse built, but I guess I'm biased.  You will love the tight turning radius and the foot pedal control.

For me, I don't like the smart steer feature, so I disconnected it.  And the cruise control is a bit of a gimmick.

As far as performance, mine are flawless.  They are as easy to work on as the 3-4-500 series classics.  However, the wiring is as complicated as a 520H or maybe a bit worse.

One downside is that used parts and attachments are hard to find and expensive when you do find them.  However, the V-twin Kohler is very common, parts are plentiful.

If you are looking for a tractor for everyday use, its hard to beat a 520xi.

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Like 3

DennisThornton

Love my Classics but the XIs are by far my favorites!  Power steering is quite noticeable as I hop back and forth from XI to Classic and 26X series.  And I love the motion control on both the XIs and 26X models!

The XIs are really in a different class than the Cs, 300s, 400s and 500s, but attachments are tougher to find.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

The xi is a very fine machine. You cant go wrong.

Glenn

• Like 2

Forest Road

I have one w a loader at 1200 hours and going strong. She’s ugly! It’ll run circles around the classics all day long. Accessories are hard to come by. 

Toolmanbill

Too slow to pull the trigger and lost out.Thanks for everyone’s input.