Big_Red_Fred

I'm Back on Good Behavior

Big_Red_Fred

I requested reinstated to my account, Karl brought me back, I wont Joke around. I bought a 417-8 today over the phone, he said it was mint, well it wasnt, steering column pulled out from dash, engine running on turpentine,  & a List of more things, Ericj ripped my rear today TWICE saying theres some times you have to walk away, well i didnt & im out 600 bucks for a Non running 417-8, so i need your help, i called 19richy66 and he is gonna send me some info after his work. Hers 1 pic before sale, its what caught my eye for being a deal.

Thanks for Letting me come back Karl, oh boy, im sure i will get the texts now ;-) 

9b2d174666734a81b81a773815bb87b5 417.jpg

• Like 8

Sarge

Stuff happens,  it looks far better than most and shouldn't take all that much to make it right.

Sarge

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Welcome back Big_Red.  :occasion-xmas:  I still hope you are planning on going to the Big Show.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  How is the engine on that horse??

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Ok Fred take your time , print out all the manuals , some of us will help you . You better be at the Big Show , you owe me a dinner. Why didn't you call me?

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Haha 2

squonk

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance. :) Well almost everyone. You better be at the show. I don't want Jim to be all ornery and hit me with his suspenders! :auto-ambulance: :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

953 nut

:WRS:          Hate to say it, but Eric was right, if the seller has misrepresented it the over the phone agreement is dead in my opinion.  Is the electric lift working?       

2 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

engine running on turpentine,  & a List of more things,

You know the routine, replace the entire fuel system, rebuild the carb, new spark plugs and use Seafoam.

2 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Thanks for Letting me come back Karl, oh boy,

Image result for watch your Ps and Qs

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Dont know if lift working @953 nut battery dead, 2 different spark plugs, what do twin kohlers run for spark ?

953 nut

Champion RV 17YC is called for in the Kohler engine manual.

Big_Red_Fred
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Welcome back Big_Red.  :occasion-xmas:  I still hope you are planning on going to the Big Show.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  How is the engine on that horse??

2 different spark plugs, fuel lines hard as rock, gas turpentine 0310181120_HDR.jpg.af951be65d623c545edaec0e84fc0ff4.jpg

pfrederi

Series II are good engines.  Only thing I have found is many came with Walbro fixed jet carbs they seem to be more sensitive to dirt and require really really thorough cleaning...  ( I replaced one on a C175 with an adjustable Kohler carb as I could never get her to run really well. 

• Like 1

The Gman

Put a 17 II I rebuilt  in my 312-8, love it. I did change out the oil sentry switch for an electric oil guage.

Do not like the champion rv plugs. Data sheet calls for resistence value of 6k - 15k. Mine were both over 180k and built up carbon overnite. :(. Went thru. a bunch of nos to find good ones. Still looking for non resistor replacements with the right heat range.

Wish I had a nice chrome housing with the heat tube like yours.

When you get to it....... what's the cylinder compressions?

Big_Red_Fred

0310181119c_HDR.jpg.acc8ed376b7416b38e338b32a3d25b69.jpg

• Like 4

Big_Red_Fred

Another side view0310181118_HDR.jpg.fc1091a6f9d2bc8b7c937a68e0c9e245.jpg

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred
2 hours ago, The Gman said:

Put a 17 II I rebuilt  in my 312-8, love it. I did change out the oil sentry switch for an electric oil guage.

Do not like the champion rv plugs. Data sheet calls for resistence value of 6k - 15k. Mine were both over 180k and built up carbon overnite. :(. Went thru. a bunch of nos to find good ones. Still looking for non resistor replacements with the right heat range.

Wish I had a nice chrome housing with the heat tube like yours.

When you get to it....... what's the cylinder compressions?

I will grab my tester at work Monday & check compressions & post gauge for each

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

My Goal is to get it running in tip top shape, will be my primary mower & i want to purchase a Leaf bagger, either that rectangular metal can that some how bolts to back or a straight up bagger. I'm starting my Collection now, Farmer Alex has enuf, SK486 on menu next . I want all big blocks over 14hp. Dont have a Garage so ill use a enclosed trailer for now

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Welcome back BFR, it looks pretty good compared to my rat rod project, Jeff.

IMAG4141.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Big_Red_Fred
16 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Welcome back BFR, it looks pretty good compared to my rat rod project, Jeff.

IMAG4141.jpg

Hit my pocket good, Oh thanks for welcoming me back, gets lonely on my own site hahahaha, waiting on a check, then were gonna need your buddys address, yes your going along , also get ready to help the old bird

• Like 2

c-series don

I've always wanted a 417-8 or 418-8 for rototilling. The gear driven transmission for steady ground speed and electric lift for easy lift of the tiller. I'm sure with a little love it will love you back Fred!!  

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred
22 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I've always wanted a 417-8 or 418-8 for rototilling. The gear driven transmission for steady ground speed and electric lift for easy lift of the tiller. I'm sure with a little love it will love you back Fred!!  

What kind of lift does it require to work a Tiller Don, you know i didnt even look for a cable, im heading out now

Big_Red_Fred
1 hour ago, c-series don said:

I'll have it At Big Show Don, Waxed & Sparkling with Forsale Sign on it , Its too clean to use

• Excellent 1

c-series don

The lift cable with a hydrostatic transmission can go from the rockshaft directly to the tiller. It will eventually wear a groove in the seat mounting plate that bolts to the transmission. There is a rockshaft that goes under the seat/fuel tank area that was optional which I feel would have been helpful for a manual lift. I'm not exactly sure how the electric lift will work with a direct cable. Fred, please do not bring that tractor all spiffed up to the show with a for sale sign on it. I promised my wife I would not buy anymore tractors( I had my fingers crossed when I said that so that cancelled that out!!!) I have a 417-A that I was fortunate enough to inherit. So they would look nice together.  Geeze I even have an extra 36" tiller I could put on that tractor!! However I no longer have a garden to rototill so I don't need it. Then again I don't have anything to sicklebar mow either or spike tooth harrow or moldboard plow. Wait a minute, why do I even have all these things? 😳😜

• Haha 2

Big_Red_Fred
7 hours ago, c-series don said:

The lift cable with a hydrostatic transmission can go from the rockshaft directly to the tiller. It will eventually wear a groove in the seat mounting plate that bolts to the transmission. There is a rockshaft that goes under the seat/fuel tank area that was optional which I feel would have been helpful for a manual lift. I'm not exactly sure how the electric lift will work with a direct cable. Fred, please do not bring that tractor all spiffed up to the show with a for sale sign on it. I promised my wife I would not buy anymore tractors( I had my fingers crossed when I said that so that cancelled that out!!!) I have a 417-A that I was fortunate enough to inherit. So they would look nice together.  Geeze I even have an extra 36" tiller I could put on that tractor!! However I no longer have a garden to rototill so I don't need it. Then again I don't have anything to sicklebar mow either or spike tooth harrow or moldboard plow. Wait a minute, why do I even have all these things? 😳😜

You guys turned me into a Collector hahahaha, the 417-8 will be talking to you saying Ride Me Don, My Gut hangs out to far, i need a D series LOL

Big_Red_Fred

No Cable, Elcamino wheel horse said rear cable was a option for that, once i get it running, i will pull off trailer & remove Mint Deck hahaha a teaser, i do have a New style Rock Shaft with a chain, found it in a Bucket

elcamino/wheelhorse

Has anyone noticed BRF has been bring my name up , the next thing I will be in more trouble.

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred
1 minute ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Has anyone noticed BRF has been bring my name up , the next thing I will be in more trouble.

Dang Tootin Brother hahaha