Sign in to follow this  
"Manic-Mechanic"

cat 0 stabilizer & carry all-B.F.

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

I thought that I'd share a pair of implements from Ballard Fabrication of Ohio. The stabilizer mounts to a USA made cat 0 draw bar, which is spaced at 2" on center, secured with two 1/2 diameter bolts. (not the bar from China).

The carry all will be a help for sure the bottom section will be 2ft in length to accommodate my generator, (if need be)! Of coarse other things can be carried as well. I would love to build a PTO driven generator however, the D has a terrible habit of drifting in the worse possible moment! Lol

Oldman

cat 0 carry all.JPG

cat 0 stabilizer.JPG

• Like 3

pfrederi

What year is your D.. The oldest ones should stay in place with the parking brake  I believe newer ones had an external band brake which would also hold it.

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

It's the 18 Auto-73 (parking pawl) yes it will but it puts a lot of pressure against that pawl. I say (D) because it's easier to type!

Oldman

Edited by Oldman

R. L. Addison

If you needed it for a time, open the towing valve.

• Like 2

Sarge

Tow valve is the only option for running the machine for extended periods of time without driving it. Not sure it's a good idea either, in relation to potential pump damage.

All the D's have the same problem  - any slight wear to the linkage will allow them to creep as vibration can eventually move the direction control arm on the pump. I've replaced all the bearings and seals on those parts on mine as well as made repairs and upgrades to the linkage joints. It will still try to creep after a minute or two and you can hear it whine some as pressure starts to increase against the hydraulic motor on the gear case. With the thing in park, it builds stress against the parking pawl, then the noise starts to increase pretty loudly. I've never had the guts to just let it sit there and see what happens,  but I suspect it will either break the pawl and take off or overheat the pump.

The neutral zone in the linkage is extremely narrow, due to the D's linkage design it's almost impossible to hold that direction control arm dead still. This is the same pump as the C series, which works fine since the nylon slider for the direction control arm has plenty of extra clearance to allow the arm to remain in the neutral zone. Being farther away from the engine's vibration is probably another reason the C's don't have the creep issues.

I wish they had used a different direction control system or at least made the arc of that arm much longer - the short travel of that arm at the pump makes it extremely sensitive to any slight movement. Without any additional dampening effect other than the seals and bearing resistance that arm can move too easily. It's really tough to get a neutral point adjusted on the cam pin since it's so sensitive and when you use the brake pedal they rarely land in that exact neutral zone.

Sarge

• Like 1

pfrederi

I do not think running it with the tow valve open would really create much issue it is just a bypass and wide open isn't going to cause a huge restriction.  However I would keep a close eye on the hydro temp for awhile.  if it didn't get too hot then I wouldn't worry about it

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

I found the linkage is not refurbished to any effect. I too believe the pump vibrates the creeping motion is a side effect of that. I would prefer the C-195 but it is extremely rare with a three point and live pto. I enjoy the tractor greatly and just realize it has it's limitations. Seriously, I would like to be rid of all the other tractors in my collection, but there is no money in it to be had in this region. You can't just give them away without the remorse.......

Oldman