Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

Are we more alone than we think?

Teddy da Bear

So park a few of our beautiful red tractors in the front yard together on a nice day and "the people will come": to ask, to buy, to give, to sell or to tell you of one they know of, much more noticeable than a sign.
Glen gave me a great idea.... If some us want to experiment and set a few tractors in the front yard and put up a couple of lawn chairs and just sit and take it easy...... See if someone takes

the bait and comes to ask about the tractors!! :whistle:

Again this is giving me perspective into different parts of the country

and how people are or are not working their horses.... :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Living in northeast Ill....not too far from southbend, You would think you would see alot of them. Truth is, I have not seen anotherone in the 5 county region, and I got around working for MaBell. I live on a state route, and when I plowed snow this year, it seems like an attraction...There is a stop light on the corner, so the traffic backs up past my yard.

I would like to belive it is the Wheelhorse they are looking at, but I get the feeling

it is more like...Big guy on a little tractor. :thumbs:

porkchop

I live in east central Indiana. Don,t see alot of them around anymore but they are here somewhere because we had a wheelhorse dealer here in town for as long as i can remember an I,m 47. Now that I have started my first rebuild project on a c-101 I will find all those lost ones now that i have my eyes open.

big mike

I cannot find any Horses around me cause there are a handful of kooks :thumbs: near me that scarf'em all up :whistle: and they KNOW who they are!

I found that the more people I talk to the more tractors I find.I see "some" out working and know of some that are "resting".

ronscat

Well, I may have 3 of only the very few I have seen within 35 miles of me. I have a buddy that has a half dozen or so that he plays with and may have some for sale. I just need to make a few more $$ before I go visit him again. Here is mine with my fat self doing road maintenance: :thumbs:

P1000243.jpg

Greg Parnell

Hey Red Horse I'm here in NC too with you and Kevin. Glad to meet you!

I haven't seen any wheelhorses out working but I've seen a couple of modified ones pulling at 1/4 scale tractor pulls.

When I get my 753 out, I do get many compliments from people. People do slow down, look at me driving it around the yard and wave as they leave.

I really enjoy the WH.

Teddy da Bear

I cannot find any Horses around me cause there are a handful of kooks whtractor/whistling2.gif near me that scarf'em all up laughter.gif and they KNOW who they are
I hope you were not talking of your "fellow" members that share Niles with you, Mike.... :thumbs:

Ronscat.....that is a great picture... You should consider adding it

to the "working wheel horses" photo catagory.

iicap

Here in lower central CT. I don't see any working but I'm fairly new to the game. Do I look in yards? DO I LOOK IN YARDS? Well when we go out I let my wife do the driving so I can peek everywhere, especially now in winter when there's no foliage to block the view. Have my eye on one, stopped on a weekday and knocked on the door. No answer but took a look at it while there, need to get back on a weekend.

Hey ronscat, now we know why you don't need wheel weights :thumbs: now if we ever meet at show somewhere, don't be punchin me out, only kidden ya.

Horse Fanatic

There are quite a few in my area. There is a Toro/WH dealer in the next town (Amherst MA) that is still in buisness and sold many tractors here. I see a lot still in action, I'm one of three people on my street who use WH's.

But the trend here, like everywhere, is to go to a zeroturn for large lawns.

MaineDad

In Central Maine, there are a couple of old, second generation owners, Wheel Horse dealers that did a great job of selling their product way back when. The local buy and swap guide usually has a couple for sale each week.

I always see a Wheel Horse in use, because I help my friends, neighbors and family buy them for their own use. Once you take that Horse finding responsibility, you also end up being their personal WH mechanic. Last Monday after the storm cleanup, my neighbor, who I found a C-145 for, pulled into my driveway because he heard a funny noise coming from the tranny. I crawled under and noticed the tranny drive belt pulley was loose. A quick allen wrench fix and he was back doing his snow removal.

Mike

I don't see a lot of them around here working, But have seen 2 in weeds, and one last sunday, guy had 4 or 5 mowers in a row out back and one on the end was Wheel Horse with a blade on it. I ride my Harley on all the back roads in southern Indiana, and always looking. Know of a Wheel Horse dealer moved 20 miles north (bigger town) and he was tellin me, as that town already had a dealer he couldnt sell wheel horse, but he has 7 or 8 in his shop, as he let me look around, I ask him about them and he told me he would have to check if they were his? Took my number but never heard from him :thumbs:

Did talk to the dealer in that town (same on I got my 73 auto from in 75) and he gave wheel horse hell said they wouldnt stand behind them, if something went wrong, he had to fix it out of his pocket. Kinda sad

I do have 2 lawn rangers and a 216-5 I would sell

wh500special

Mike,

I think there are still thousands and thousands of them out there, but you don't often catch a glimpse of them. South Bend/Niles really still has a ton of them out chugging away but you might drive passed a house hundreds of times before you time things right and the guy is in the front yard in plain sight mowing grass.

I know I drove the same path back and forth to work in Walkerton from South Bend for 4 years at all times of the day and on weekends since I would try to randomly come in for the three shifts. On one of my very last trips I saw an older woman mowing on Portage Rd a mile from my house on an RJ58. I drove passed that thing for 4 years a thousand times and never knew it was there.

They are out there, but all the stars have to align for you to find them if the owner doesn't make a habit of leaving them outside.

To maximize your percentage of sightings do your cruises on Saturday mornings when the bulk of the people who work during the week are out mowing their lawns. Except for the occasional retiree, who is using his 40 year old tractor which he bought new to till his garden, you're not going to see many through the workweek.

I am in west-central Indiana and there are a fair number of them around here, but not nearly as plentiful as in other parts of the Hoosier state. In my small, small town I know of a GT14, a C125, an LT-something Work Horse, and a 416-8 with 310 decals (I thought it was a 316 and got excited). I am betting there are more but it is just rare to time things right to see them. The fellow who runs a big Lionel train action house near here has a beautiful GT-1142 but in 4 years it has only been close enough to the road for me to see once...and I know to look for it.

Timing is everything.

One of the most fantastic WH's I ever caught a glimpse of was in Buchanon, MI...not too far from you TDB. I was making one of my Sunday-after-church drives and saw a pair of trailer wheels leaning against a tree with a for sale sign. They looked the same size as my boat trailer so I stopped to check them out. Suddenly a humming sound came around from the back of the house and it was a D250 in fantastic shape. Turns out the owner bought it new and uses it essentially to till his garden and haul wood (he mowed with it before he moved to a smaller lot). He has the whole package: Deck, Blade, loader, tiller, 3pt. And a big Nebraska Cornhusker decal on the hood.

I knew he was a great guy when he said he liked to fish and hunt...

I still have his phone number somewhere and he told me I have first dibbs. I really need to touch base with him again...

It seems like we forget this easily since we are all buying 20, 30, 40 year old machines, but WHeel Horses were incredibly expensive when they were new. Always either at the top of the price chain or near it with Deere, Cub Cadet, and Simplicity all being close contenders. Those original owners shelled out a ton of money for this stuff and probably still remember how much it hurt to buy them so I think you'll find that many 1-owner machines still live out most of their lives in garages, sheds, or barns.

Heck, until the last 15 years or so many of them depreciated very little too; even as used. Until the lower end disposables flooded the market it wasn't out of the question to pay 80% the price of a new one for a 5 year old machine. So even many people who bought a used model paid pretty dearly for it back in the day. Honestly, I think we have WalMart, Depot, Lowes, Yard Machines, and Sears to thank for the prices we pay today for our old clunkers.

I suspect you will find very few of them sitting outside that haven't changed hands 3 or 4 times.

If you want to sit out somewhere with a tractor or two, you might want to join that guy who used to sit out in a lawnchair on Business 31 between Notre Dame and the St. Mary's with the big American flag :thumbs: . Perhaps you've waved to him (I always did). You'd certainly draw a crowd there since it is so heavily travelled.

Keep exploring and good luck!

Steve

USHorse

Our recession just may just increase the active herd, read on.........In Central NY, (outside of Syracuse) when I see them, they are mostly 300, 400 or 500 series being worked and some of them working hard (me :thumbs: ). Very rarely do I see other older models out working, nor do I see them growing moss.

Now the interesting part......just a few weeks ago, I stopped by a local A to Z repair shop. He had what he thought were a few old WH junkers he got on trades. They were sitting outside for years. He said several people had just recently approached him on buying them and not for parts (and they were sold). He indicated these people were buying the tractors to recondition and that with some elbow grease and maybe $1000 of refurbishment, they would have a quality machine that would far outlive (obviously) an $1800 lawn tractor out of the box. And since these people indicated that they can't afford a high end garden Kubota, etc. a used Wheel Horse is very economical option.

Is it possible that more people are finally starting to understand the meaning of value and a quality built product :whistle:

Who knows what will occur in 10-20 years from now. Maybe another generation of wild horses could be reborn :whistle: but I am allowed to dream, right??

Teddy da Bear

Unfortunately.....the priest who sat out near Notre Dame died a couple of

years ago. He began sitting out there as a protest to the supreme court

decision of flag burning. They put up a permanent flag pole and light

in his memory.

Operator

TDB This has been a very good, no make that great topic. Thank you for coming up with it. :thumbs: :whistle:

Horse'n Around

Now I can see why there are next to no Wheel Horses here in Arizona. I was not aware that the dealers that sold them were mostly in PA and around there. I guess if there is one out here, chances are that it was brought here from somewhere back east. I have two and I have only seen one other one out here, actually in the same small I live in which is St David which is only about 10 minutes from Tombstone. A friend owned it and said he it was for sale but at the time I was short of funds so I prayed that with him living on a isolated dirt road in the middle of nowhere that it would stay put for a bit.Well I didnt, oh well.

Every year in Tombstone in October there is a annual celebration called Helldorado Days.Among other things there is a parade ( I ride my horse in it, but it isnt a Wheel Horse, is is of the 4 leg brand, but he is red , in fact thats his name :thumbs: .There is a group of folks that attend every year that are in a club and they come and display their tractors, big and small. Im going to go talk to them and see about their club and see what they have to say.My friend always brings his steam tractor there every year.That thing is soooo quiet, very cool!

John

rondo

I live in a fairly rural area (though it's growing) where everyone has decent size yards or acreage of some sort. I have only seen one Horse actually doing something and absolutely none sitting out for sale. I'm in southeastern Michigan - just a bit south and west of Port Huron - and it's a little surprising. There just aren't any around. Even looking at craigslist or swaps papers from the area - nothing much to speak of.

The world can be a lonely place, my friends. :thumbs:

Teddy da Bear

AZ trooper...........there was a discussion here last fall I believe about

where the dealers were located. I can only tell you about my area.

But perhaps there is some creative guru out there that could put together

a map of the U.S. and show us dealer locations. But perhaps that

would not be feasable......

Thanks for the kind words 49'r. It was just a lucky notion.

Rondo! Have not heard from you in a while! I think as spring and

summer approaches you will have better luck with "the list". :thumbs:

Buzz

AZ Trooper, my sister sells her antiques out of a co-op in Tombstone a couple of days a week. I think it used to be a lumber yard. :thumbs: Next time you're in town stop in and ask for Ruth. Tell her that her baby brother wants her to keep an eye out for old Wheel Horses when she's out yard saleing. That will surprise the heck out of her. She's short. plump, and almost 70 but has a strong heart so the surprise shouldn't kill her :whistle:

baerpath

I must be lucky.

We have four dealers within 1 1/2 hr's drive. Here it's the norm to see WH's out working year round. Even in the pulling clubs it's almost 50/50 cubs and Wheel Horses. I know a bunch of guys with Wh's in the gardens (one has 4 520-8spds working) Guess I'm just lucky :thumbs:

duane

Horse'n Around

AZ Trooper, my sister sells her antiques out of a co-op in Tombstone a couple of days a week. I think it used to be a lumber yard. :thumbs: Next time you're in town stop in and ask for Ruth. Tell her that her baby brother wants her to keep an eye out for old Wheel Horses when she's out yard saleing. That will surprise the heck out of her. She's short. plump, and almost 70 but has a strong heart so the surprise shouldn't kill her :whistle:

:whistle: Buzz, Your not going to believe this but I was in that antique mall this morning.Its only about 10 minutes from my house, its called Happy Jacks .My wife and I were there looking for a 1880's ball gown for a ball that is happening here tonight, ( I know nothing like waiting till the last minute huh?).Along with antiques they have dresses and gowns for rent and for sale there.While my wife was looking at the gowns I was checking the yard out to see what was there. There are a few stage coaches and a lot of other neat things in what used to be the lumber yard part.

You bet I will defineately go back and give Ruth your message, she should get a huge kick out of it :dunno:

John

Teddy da Bear

AZTrooper...

There is a tractor show in Apache Junction in Early March...

You should go and maybe you might meet up with a few

horsey characters... If not...there is a parade....go show

them desert dwellers what a wheel horse looks like!

Here is what I copied from the show schedule:

Date: Mar 8 - 9, 2008 Location: Arizona

Arizona Early Day Gas Engine & Tractor - "The Evolution of Power" is the theme for AEDGETA Show to be held at Apache Junction Rodeo Grounds. There will lots of tractors and engines on display and tractor pulling all day long. The show grounds are located between Idaho and Tomahawk on Lost Dutchman Blvd. Gates open at 9. Tractor parade is held both days at 1 - 00. For more information call the club phone line at 623-435-3955. Hope to see you at the show, Apache Junction, Apache Junction Rodeo Grounds, 623-435-3955.

Let us know how it turns out if you go.....(in a fresh post)

HorseFixer

I cannot find any Horses around me cause there are a handful of kooks :thumbs: near me that scarf'em all up :whistle: and they KNOW who they are!

:dunno: :whistle:

Raider

......just a few weeks ago, I stopped by a local A to Z repair shop. He had what he thought were a few old WH junkers he got on trades. They were sitting outside for years. He said several people had just recently approached him on buying them and not for parts (and they were sold). He indicated these people were buying the tractors to recondition and that with some elbow grease and maybe $1000 of refurbishment, they would have a quality machine that would far outlive (obviously) an $1800 lawn tractor out of the box. And since these people indicated that they can't afford a high end garden Kubota, etc. a used Wheel Horse is very economical option.

Is it possible that more people are finally starting to understand the meaning of value and a quality built product :thumbs:

That is exactly why I have three WheelHorse tractors. In the long run WheelHorse made the most sense to me. Living on a busy street my tractors get a lot of looks and waves too. There are good deals around from time to time but they don't last long. There's a healthy number of horses out here working and I haven't seen anyone collecting them for the sake of collecting.

iicap

Because I added a post earlier, a follow up. I went and knocked on the door Sunday, well I pulled into the drive and there were 3 guys standing around a CC, so I introduced and asked. Big smile, the WH is not for sale, that's my baby he says. We shot the bull for a while, left him a card and asked if he hears of anything WH that he isn't interested in please give me a call. Then they gave me a lead, Said the local scrap/recycle yard takes GT's and accessories and sets them aside rather than crushing them. Gonna go down this week and check it out and ask them if they mind if I stop in once a week and check.

If any of you know your local scrapers, you might ask if theyd do that. Can you imagine how much does get thrown away/ junked when our backs are turned.