Mike'sHorseBarn

1076 Hydro Transmission Weak

Mike'sHorseBarn

I have always been afraid to ask this question because I am afraid of the answers I might get, but it is getting to the point where it just needs fixed. I have a 1076 with a sundstrand hyrdo and it is just plain weak. So weak it won't even back up over a 2x4 without me kicking the ground to force it backwards. The engine runs like a top, but when you engage the transmission, it just bogs down. Now I have fresh fluid and a fresh filter on it so I don't think the fluid is the problem. I am almost afraid the try and rebuild one of these when I look at my parts book for it. The question is really, can you still get parts for them? Should I find a good used pump? This is my wife's favorite tractor so selling it is out of the question lol. 

Any help is appreciated!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

pfrederi

I would download the Wheelamatic manual and check out the diagnostics.  probably will have to do the "Tune up"  It isn't really hard and may resolve the issue.   See also my posting on a hydro gear

Edited by pfrederi
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

Do you have a hydraulic lift? If so, is the lift working properly? The transmission and lift both use the same pump so if the lift is strong the pump is fine. If it operates better in forward than in reverse then it could be acceleration valve springs are the problem.

2 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

hould I find a good used pump?

Be wary of any used hydro unless you can drive it and test it yourself!  Lots of sellers don't have a clew about what is being sold and don't care!

daveoman1966

According to pfrederi above (his post of 12-31-2017), the Sundstrand piston-to-piston can be swapped over to the older tractors with the Sundstrand Hydro-gear.  He is one of the experts on Red Square forum.     I have on-hand a rebuilt model 90-1136 (90-1137, 90-1140) available for sale.  It includes new seals, o-rings, gaskets, shaft bearing (1) and hand-finished internals to ensure high-pressure hydro and positive performance.  It also has the internals to accommodate the hydraulic lift feature.  For further info, send me an off-site email and I will reply with details and more pics.

My direct email is: 5aa06a3a59c80_PM(8).JPG.e54ba663bc0f08bbea89a02392dd1631.JPG5aa06a3ce46d9_PM(5).JPG.1c9ffcfa12fd6e1d6fd3dba252f9bf26.JPG

daveoman@windstream.net5aa06a37c7b12_PM(9).JPG.d1747c73908e113b5eea616162969e1a.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Do you have a hydraulic lift?

No hydraulic lift. I don't think that 1076 tractors ever came with that. However based on above comments I can switch it to the newer style hydro and find myself some hydraulics. That would twice as great lol

Edited by Mike'sHorseBarn
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

The hydraulic lift parts off an early C-series should fit fine, you'll need the whole assembly including the rock shaft. The original lift for the 1076 would have been the HY6 kit but not a lot of them around.

Sarge

daveoman1966
20 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

No hydraulic lift. I don't think that 1076 tractors ever came with that. However based on above comments I can switch it to the newer style hydro and find myself some hydraulics. That would twice as great lol

In the Sundstrand pics I posted, you don't need to use the hyd lift feature.  Just switch two little parts and plug off the two hyd lines.  

Edited by daveoman1966