Rideawaysenior

Lift lever question

Rideawaysenior

I have a 1988 312-8 with a manual lift lever. The lever handle moves but the lift trunion remains in its position when an attachment is connected. Is the lever press fitted onto the trunion shaft?  I looked at the diagrams on Toros site but can't tell. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Jack

953 nut

Is the height adjustment nut tightened all the way? This will prevent the implement from lowering.

5a9f50a747a44_111.JPG.cc2eff4193d2b67d9ef73e67d6f065c5.JPG

Rideawaysenior

No, no. The dial a height is adjusted to allow full travel. There is definitely an issue with the lift arm connecting with the trunion shaft. 

Rideawaysenior

The lift arm is probably the only thing I've never disassembled. I've been messing with these tractors since I was 8. That gives me about 40 years lol. God I'm old. Lol. 

953 nut

Take a look at page 27, it shows the way the lift assembly is put together. They are keyed to one another. Could be the arm on part 27 is broken or you have attached to the wrong arm.

• Like 1

Rideawaysenior

Looked at the diagrams too. The lift lever moves but the trunion an trunion shaft do not. It looks like the arm is pressed onto the shaft. To clarify, the arm I am referring to is the manual lift lever. Not the little arm on the underside of the tractor that connects to the plow and blower lifts. When looking at the arm diagram, there is a roll pin shown at the bottom of the handle but it doesn't show if it acts as a linkage between the two. 

I was hoping someone had the same issue at some point, knowing it's a simple mechanism, I know there is not much to it other than it's going to need to be welded or I have a broken key that isn't indicated on the parts list which I'm pretty sure if there were a key on this part, it would be listed. There is that roll pin shown but with the loads those snow blowers can add, I'm thinking the roll pin wouldn't be used in this application. 

Racinbob

I'm not sure I'm understanding here. Are you saying the 'rock shaft' isn't moving with the lift arm? If that's the case it's a broken weld. The rock shaft and lift arm are a welded assembly. :)

• Like 3

953 nut
8 hours ago, Racinbob said:

The rock shaft and lift arm are a welded assembly.

Not quite right. Looking at the diagram on page 27 of the manual I provided a link to you will see that the Rock Shaft (part 19) slides over and is keyed to the lift lever shaft (part 46). They are joined by a key and retained in position by a couple of keys. After three decades of exposure to moisture and dirt the two pieces will be rusted together. The lift arm and shaft (46) are welded.

• Like 1

Racinbob

By golly you're right Richard. I stand corrected. The older ones were welded but somewhere along the way they changed it. I'm guessing, based on the lift design, that they started that in 1978 when they widened the hood stand. That will learn me. :)

Rideawaysenior

I guess by looking at the diagrams, on page 27, the lift arm part number 1 and the roll shaft part 46 are my issue. In the diagram, I'm not seeing how that they are joined. 

953 nut
5 hours ago, Rideawaysenior said:

number 1 and the roll shaft part 46 are my issue. In the diagram, I'm not seeing how that they are joined.

On the one I just took apart they were welded together.

Racinbob

I'm sorta guessing here because I've never had this style apart but does the #1 lift arm have a rod welded to it that slips inside #46 and is held in place with the two #14 cotter pins?

gwest_ca

My guess is pins #47 and #48 (one likely drove inside the other for strength) and tie wire #53 secure #1 handle to the #46 shaft.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/21-12k805-312-8-toro-312-8-garden-tractor-1988/manual-lift-linkage/

If you order #1 handle it comes with 46, 47 and 48.

Garry