Evil Archer 300

518 Restoration

Evil Archer 300

I decided to go with the Eaton 1100. I'm having a problem with the Lift Rock Shaft . I got it out on the right side but can't get the Lift arm to move. Am I going about this right. Tomorrow I'll try to heat it up and break it loose. I have been putting Penetrating oil on it all day.

953 nut
3 minutes ago, Evil Archer 300 said:

I'll try to heat it up and break it loose.

That seems to be the only solution, lots of square inches of tightly fitted steel in an area prone to rusting. That wasn't the best design when it comes to removing it.

Jerry77

Not sure this is any help, but is the height adjusting knob screwed all the way down?

daveoman1966

You MAY have to cut it off.  These get really rusted.  If you need to cut it, I have a replacement for it.  

• Like 1

Evil Archer 300

The height adjustment knob is all off, I have a Donor Tractor that the New Eaton is coming off, Lots of extra parts

• Like 1

Evil Archer 300

Is there a Keyway in the sleeve, Something has to keep it from spinning. What keeps the lift arm on. Is this a drift pin ?

953 nut
1 hour ago, Evil Archer 300 said:

Is there a Keyway in the sleeve,

Yes, the sleeve and shaft are connected by a key with clips at both ends to keep it from shifting side to side. Very easy assembly for the factory but a major PITA for anyone wishing to take it apart after it has rusted together. Best bet is to lay the frame on its side (outdoors) heat the sleeve with a torch then drench it with oil, the heat will break the rust bond and allow the oil to flow down between the two parts.

• Like 1

953 nut

Page 24 of this manual will show you what you are working with.

• Like 1

JoeM

Not sure this will help, but you may want to drill and tap the sleeve (part #19) for a grease fitting. Put some transmission fluid in your grease gun and try to pump it through the sleeve.

• Like 1

Pullstart
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, 953 nut said:

Yes, the sleeve and shaft are connected by a key with clips at both ends to keep it from shifting side to side. Very easy assembly for the factory but a major PITA for anyone wishing to take it apart after it has rusted together. Best bet is to lay the frame on its side (outdoors) heat the sleeve with a torch then drench it with oil, the heat will break the rust bond and allow the oil to flow down between the two parts.

Paraffin wax is a good lube/penetrant too for stuck nuts and bolts, once torch-warmed a toasty red!

• Like 1