Sarge

3pt to sleeve hitch adapter

Sarge

Since the D uses the 3pt, needed to buildan adapter for using the rear blade or Brinly 10" plow on it.

20180303_135615.jpg.6e855cd701d3733cbdbc3aea9f2f9b44.jpg

Worked out pretty well,  but the pins are too weak to keep it tight to the A-frame. Probably switch to bolts, wanted it easy to move for offset work but they bend too easily. Simple but effective is what I'm after.

Got a lot of rock pulled back out of the yard, still have to re-grade the parking lot and do some raking. Buddy brought his Kubota BX series over with the front sweeper and cleaned up the other areas but this section was just too thick. Amazing how much rock the D can move at once,  need to get the rear box scraper built this spring.

20180304_165002.jpg.2b884c0efb8bd63d00b27f16e4bd47d8.jpg

20180304_164557.jpg.791cf3c848fe7c4b6efceb1e41faee25.jpg

20180304_170442.jpg.4ca30af1bef696dccd432c593e095139.jpg

Sarge

• Like 4

Duramax7man7

Nice Work Sarge!

Did you use regular bar stock for the pins? Are you looking for some Grade-8 pins? I got a local place that has some grade 8 lock pins  for cheap. I could get some measurements, send you some photos and if you like, ship them out for you... 

Let me know. :)

Sarge

The main pins are cold rolled round stock  - the problem is the 3/16" pto pins , just too soft and bend easily. I'll probably just make a new backing plate and use 5/8" bolts, welding the heads to the plate and only require one wrench to move or swap it out. Easy enough to carry one wrench in the tool box. Otherwise the thing is stout enough for down pressure although the current rear blade doesn't really need it.

Blade is an old Craftsman unit I've had for years, cutting edge is 3/4" AR400 off a small road grader.

Sarge

Duramax7man7

Ah gotcha. yeah I think that revision with 5/8" bolts will do well. yes it does look like a good sized blade and seem to have done the job well. 

It's amazing how the older stuff always seems to last. Are you going to make a build thread for the box grader? :wwp:

WVHillbilly520H

Sarge I'll have to get a pic of the one I made for the Kioti back home in WV, I made a receiver hitch (which I have a pic of) for the drawbar then the a sleeve/brinly adapter to fit that, Jeff.

IMAG0336.jpg

• Excellent 1

Sarge

I mounted this adapter for the sleeve implements to the A-frame I built. This way, it leaves the option to use the top link of the 3pt to set the angle and height. The 2" receiver is set fairly high for moving trailers since the D has a shorter travel to it's lift versus other tractors.

There are several adapters you can buy but all seem to be 1/4" steel, mine is 3/8" to support the future box scraper. The materials I've got aren't light, so the thing will probably be around 200lbs or more. I also want to build a lift boom to transport the steel drag I have here so the D can carry it from one place to another . 

Sarge

Duramax7man7

Nice! That's my philosophy... Overbuild it and you don't have to worry. ;) 

I have a question... Do you think that there is any way to adapt any of the rear hydraulic setup to a 520? Even with some fabrication? 

WVHillbilly520H

Some one had this on eBay a while back...was mounted on a 520H...not to mention the Sears version attached to WH too.

Screenshot_20170817-060821.png

Screenshot_20170817-060814.png

Screenshot_20170817-060808.png

Screenshot_20170817-060837.png

Screenshot_20170817-060830.png

Screenshot_20171104-193628.png

Screenshot_20171104-193716.png

• Like 1

Sarge

I would think the easiest way to add a 3pt to the 520 tractors is to use a two spool valve and copy the C195 3pt design. With the rear mounted cylinder you avoid having to use linkage and the center cylinder on the tractor. I'm sure the Eaton rear could handle it and doing the 3pt this way would give it a lot more lifting power.

I know for one you'd have to do some serious reinforcement work on the rear section of the frame,  which might be tough with the fuel tank back there.

Sarge

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Well maybe a frame revamp might do the trick... ;)

Sarge

That's exactly what it would take - build it more like the rear frame of the C-195 or the D series. The 500 series is a tough machine,  but that whole seat/fender area at the rear is a known weak area. Maybe just replacing the sheet tin with structural plate and the mounting brackets would be enough to carry the stress from the loads generated by the 3pt system...

Sarge

Duramax7man7

Well that's what I have planned. So I may add this to the mix. 

I'm planning on more of a BX series Kubota structure and strength style frame as I have a different engine that I'm going to be putting into it. So a beefier frame will be better all around. 

Thinking of using 3/8" to 7/16" flat stock and plate for the rear. So a similar style to the current 38" in the connection to the transaxle but it will need a much different engineering combo to adapt the new engine. So I'm thinking that while I'm at it, I may as well introduce some upgrades. When All is said and done the build will be much less than even an older sub compact tractor like the Kubota L series. 

WVHillbilly520H

@Sarge, here's my rendetion of a Brinly/sleeve hitch adapter that I bolt to the Cat 1 drawbar (purchased at TSC they also have Cat 0), like the receiver adapter pictured above, Jeff.

IMAG4223.jpg

IMAG4224.jpg

IMAG4225.jpg

IMAG4226.jpg

IMAG4227.jpg

• Like 1

Sarge

That works.

If you're going to build a frame that heavy,  what transmission do you plan to use? That is going to create a lot of weight, not sure the 520 unit can handle it that well.

Sarge

Duramax7man7

That is still up in the air. I was thinking that if the 520 eaton 1100/rear end combo can handle a FEL and the weight that it can carry, along with everything else that it does, that it should be able to do the job. Especially if I can piggy back some front drive off of the brake drum and send that to a choice front end.. If and when I can find one for the right price. There will have to be some thought out fabrication but that's the fun of it. I do have my eye on a couple of others. I'll have to see whats available at the time and for how much. The whole point is to not spend anywhere near $6,000 on this thing when all is said and done.

Whatever I do, I'll be going with easily accessible parts so that hopefully it wouldn't a one of kind modification that can be done. As long as someone wants to put in the time and work building it. I"m not in any terrible rush on completing it. But I would like to get it completed by next spring. IF all goes well. But, I think that we all know that it rarely does. ;) 

I initially starting looking into getting a D-series to do this but I already have a second 520 that isn't being used and is a perfect candidate for the project with it's current condition. I have Diesel, 4x4, power steering, hydraulic rear lift cylinder, FEL (quick remove) and the ability to use the 60" deck and rear mold plow still all in mind. Will be a challenge but fun. All with keeping the basic Sheet metal look of the 520h as well. it will just be a bit stretched out and potentially a couple inches wider with 26" x 12" - 12" tires in the rear with plenty of clearance and the same for the front end. I'm pretty excited to get it started.

ericj

I don't know how to make a link to a posting so you have to bear with me, if you go to the archives of the wheel horses sold, then go to page 5 and about 3/4 of way down the page is and ad for a 520-H front end loader with 3 point by @smoreau dated June 30 2017. I bought this tractor. Scott built this and there is links in the add to the build. He added a home made 3 point hitch to it, it might give you some ideas on your on build for a 3 point on a 520. So far I've only used the 3 point for the weight box the Scott had made for it, would like to try a garden plow with it some time down the road

On 3/8/2018 at 1:04 PM, Mastiffman said:

I have a question... Do you think that there is any way to adapt any of the rear hydraulic setup to a 520? Even with some fabrication? 

eric j

• Like 1