Retired Wrencher

A thought for the day.

Retired Wrencher

As I am working on my last tractor for a while to sell. I had a thought. Of all the production #`s made of these fine tractors. I am thinking mostly 1950`s 60`s and 70`s  and maybe 80`s models. How many where saved for the scrap yards. I do know people that have contacts in scrap yards for pick ups when people bring them in.:handgestures-thumbupright:  And I think this web site has a lot to do with it. Every time i sell one or meet people I mention this site some times I get   [a Really a web site dedicated to the these tractors} So this begs the question how many do you think are saved every day do impart to this web site and scrap yard contacts? Thanks for any response. Enjoy the ride and your day.

• Like 6

elliot ness

:text-bravo:Gary, great topic. I have no way of knowing, but I have saved my share of Wheel Horses. I saved a C195 about 8yrs. ago that spent some time in the shallows of a pond. These small tractors are easy to work on compared to there competition. I didn't start collecting and restoring these tractors till I was 55yrs old. So a word to the young fellows out there, start now.:happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

I used to creep this site before I joined it. I inherited a work horse 700 that was my grandfathers and that got me into the hobby. I was 14 at the time and always like tractors, but like most 14 year olds, I didn't know much about the mechanics of them. I don't remember the year i found this site, but I bought a 401 wheel horse in 2006 and i think it was sometime around then, maybe 2007. Anyway I creeped on this site for years reading threads and gaining knowledge on how to fix these horses. I gained more and more confidence and ability to fix them and eventually gained enough confidence to start saving what i would call basket case horses. Frozen transmissions, stuck engines, stubborn steering wheels lol. I would say that it is totally because of this website that I came to save the horses! I had bought my first tractor at age 12, a running driving 74 john deere 110 (please forgive me, although i still have that tractor) and inherited my first horse at age 14 and the collection of tractors that include both horses and other brands is now at 21. 

So I would say that this site is almost totally responsible for horses being saved by me. Just don't tell my wife that! :ROTF: 

Why did i not join RedSquare until 2013 you ask? Quite simply, young people do stupid things sometimes!! lol 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Retired Wrencher

Yes Elliot I do enjoy my self. It is always a crowed pleaser When you see a vintage tractor.

• Like 3

Retired Wrencher

Mike better late than never. Enjoy the projects.

• Like 3

richmondred01

Another thing to think about is those of us that do the math and decide to part the tractors. It’s kinda like organ donation. One parted horse can save 10-15 others. Without good quality used parts the hobby would suffer. 

I think we all saw what happened with cash for clunkers with antique cars. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:text-goodpost:     I see nothing wrong in parting out a :wh: that is commonplace and can provide needed parts for another's project. what bothers me is when a complete running tractor that someone could have enjoyed is sold to a "collector" that turns out to be a scrapper who p-arts it out.  :soapbox:

I have rescued a few, the first one was with me at last year's Big Show, the second is being restored and the third is being kept dry for a future project. All of these were slated for parting out or scrapping. I couldn't fault the previous owner's thoughts on them. I'm just glad the were willing to sell them to me.

373.jpg.19049b6b30b1035cc7b74c415a700270.jpg5a9db4032309b_2017bigshow953.JPG.51b263a83adc90907eb0f134a81b9966.JPG5a9db11139bb4_953fromEdright.jpg.ec593a67ba48327f5f173cf4e84da877.jpg5a9db3d474674_953rotisery002.JPG.399b772d04687ab1fb63b8bc1273de4c.JPG338.jpg.5f342618babbbf4b26b5759ead638518.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher
2 hours ago, richmondred01 said:

Another thing to think about is those of us that do the math and decide to part the tractors. It’s kinda like organ donation. One parted horse can save 10-15 others. Without good quality used parts the hobby would suffer. 

I think we all saw what happened with cash for clunkers with antique cars. 

It is all good as long they are saved.

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Richard. Good job on the saves. That`s what I was thinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher

But also I am thinking numbers. Like 75% saved or less what is your thoughts. I hope the 75% is on the higher side.

• Like 1