HoyBoy53

520H - nothing when key is turned to start position

HoyBoy53

Tractor ran fine last weekend. parked it in the garage last Sunday. Installed a new voltage regulator yesterday. Went to start the tractor to test new regulator output - Lights on the dash light up with the key in the on position, turn the key the rest of the way to start - lights go out and nothing happens. Seems to me I had those same thing occur when the PTO switch was out of adjustment. I messed with the switch (without removing it) - nothing. Is there a way to jumper that switch to see if that's the problem?

HoyBoy53

I just read about the neutral safety switch. I'm going to locate that and see if it's broken etc. I'll probably want to trying to test that switch and I imagine the procedure would be the same as what I would do for the PTO switch. Looking forward to your responses on how to jumper these switches. Thank you in advance.

squonk

Check the 9 pin molex plug. The wire that activates the solenoid goes thru it along with the charging circuit ect. 

• Like 1

953 nut

With any electrical problem I have found that cleaning and tightening ALL electrical connection including grounds will clear up most problems.

This guide can help you see what components stand between the key switch and starter, take a look.

demystify.pdf

• Excellent 1

HoyBoy53

Visually inspected the 9 pin plug - both sides look very clean. No discoloration on any wires. Cleaned both ends of the ground cable from the battery to the tractor frame. Cleaned the positive battery cable at the battery. No change. I bought new pto and neutral switches but haven't had time to change them yet. I drive a semi and don't have much time on weekends to get much done. Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to change these switches. The shop that used to sell these tractors told me that the later years had the seat switch inside the seat. This tractor doesn't have a button switch under the seat like my 1988 does and therefore I had assumed that the switch had been removed and bypassed.  I'l  need to check to see if this tractor has a switch in the seat. That may be where the problem lies. 

lynnmor
13 minutes ago, HoyBoy53 said:

Visually inspected the 9 pin plug - both sides look very clean. No discoloration on any wires. Cleaned both ends of the ground cable from the battery to the tractor frame. Cleaned the positive battery cable at the battery. No change. I bought new pto and neutral switches but haven't had time to change them yet. I drive a semi and don't have much time on weekends to get much done. Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to change these switches. The shop that used to sell these tractors told me that the later years had the seat switch inside the seat. This tractor doesn't have a button switch under the seat like my 1988 does and therefore I had assumed that the switch had been removed and bypassed.  I'l  need to check to see if this tractor has a switch in the seat. That may be where the problem lies. 

Just find the plug for the seat switch and jump the connectors to test.